No announcement yet.

Replace DVBT stick with Flightaware Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A temporary antenna formed by a small paper clip, straightened and inserted into center hole of the stick's connector. To keep antenna vertical, the RPi was placed on it's edge.

20190212_011118.jpg

Comment

I built the RPi usinga downloaded image. The new antenna gives reception and I receive planes up to a limited distance about 35nm on my old bog-standard DVB-T+DAB+FM dongle with no filtering or amplification. I bought the FA prostick+ on the recommendation of Moonraker Radio in the UK on the basis that it had filtering for 1090 and an amplifier built in. They said extra filtering was not necessary. I understand the implications of local RF saturating the stick but that did not happen on the old one that had no filtering at all. I am also confused by the many different instructions about which stick to nominate in the settings. Should I be on DVBT Stick, ModeS Beast or AVR USB. Also should I stick to gain -10 figure? I suspect I may have a deaf stick. At the moment I'm on the old stick and using DVBT setting, T-RPVM1 Settings is reporting 8 Aircraft Tracked, 7 Aircraft uploaded but I'm not seeing them on Dump1090. Very puzzled.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolml View Post
        I am also confused by the many different instructions about which stick to nominate in the settings. Should I be on DVBT Stick, ModeS Beast or AVR USB. Also should I stick to gain -10 figure? I suspect I may have a deaf stick.
        It's not a beast (you would know)
        It's not an AVR device

It's a USB stick. Made from a DVBT stick. With added features.

So no change.

And no. No gain should be specified. My next question was going to be have you made any adjustments outside the scripted install

Appears you have.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Well actually the ProStick+ requires some gain reduction with a decent antenna, but that's just optimization.
          It should still have good reception at -10.

beast-tcp as receiver-type is only used if you start dump1090 independently of fr24feed, which you don't.

Well moonraker apparently haven't read about this interference problem a couple of times.
          It doesn't happen too often, but when the LNA in front of the filter is overloaded, you need extra filtering.

Only 35 nmi range with a normal stick and decent antenna also points at strong interference by the way.

Another alternative to the somewhat expensive combination i linked before would probably be the green radarbox flight stick.
          They have the SAW filter placed before the LNA.

Did you remove power for changing sticks?
          Otherwise if one stick works and the other doesn't, then the configuration is not the problem.

You could do a spectrum scan with the old stick and new stick, will be an interesting comparison:
          The space around ADS-B antenna contain not only 1090 MHz signals, but also lot of other signals at different frequencies. The closer the frequency of a signal to 1090 MHz, your ADS-B antenna picks it stronger. For example if there are three signals of equal strength, one at 144 MHz, 2nd at 850 MHz and 3rd at 950 MHz, the ADS-B

Comment

Thanks Father O'Blivion for clarification. So many places in the forums say don't use DVBT with Dump 1.15. Wish old info could be weeded out to avoid confusion.
            Wiedehopf, thanks for the info, I will see if I can sort out a spectrum scan but got a lot on my plate before I fly back to UK on 4 Sept. I had hoped to leave a good system running before I leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolml View Post
              Thanks Father O'Blivion for clarification. So many places in the forums say don't use DVBT with Dump 1.15. Wish old info could be weeded out to avoid confusion.
              Wiedehopf, thanks for the info, I will see if I can sort out a spectrum scan but got a lot on my plate before I fly back to UK on 4 Sept. I had hoped to leave a good system running before I leave.
              That does stand true.

at the moment I'm on the old stick and using DVBT setting
              With that the assumption is made it was that all along.

Now you mention 1.15. I'm guessing it wasn't really an image download?
              I built the RPi usinga downloaded image
              If you follow one of the guides and install dump1090 dev 1.14/5 they all explicitly setup differently and say don't choose DVBT.

If you have made that change since buying the new one changed that as a part of the test, too late. The changes would have been made and it will have been over-written and have a different setup than it started with
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

One of the scripts/guides by abcd567 replaces the dump1090 version used by fr24feed without changing receivertype, it still uses dvb-t.

As i wrote previously it depends on how dump1090 is set up.

Using the prostick plus you should not change any settings from using the other stick you have.

Comment

Likely this one
                  All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Be nice for a bit of a back story.
                  Which image was used
                  What settings you had pre-new stick arrival

What changes were made to 'test' when finding it wasn't the same before posting here

All of which can impact.

Comment

Well if he can just power off, switch sticks with current configuration and the other stick works, the problem is with the hardware or interference.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                      Well if he can just power off, switch sticks with current configuration and the other stick works, the problem is with the hardware or interference.
                      True. However I wouldn't call 35mm exactly working well either

And then there was
                      I'm not seeing them on Dump1090
                      With the 'working' one

So something is different.

Comment

If you have indeed problems with your local map or configuration, use this:
                        Solutions to common problems for rtl_sdr / ADS-B stuff - wiedehopf/adsb-scripts

It fixes most configuration problems.

Comment

(1) Pi24 image:
                          Default setting receiver=DVB-T.
                          The fr24feed installs & controls dump1090-mutability ver 1.14

(2) Raspbian image + fr24feed (no dump1090 installed separately)
                          Default setting receiver=DVB-T.
                          The fr24feed installs & controls dump1090-mutability ver 1.14

(3) Raspbian image + dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev installed by user + fr24feed
                          In this setup, do NOT use setting.receiver=DVB-T.
                          Use receiver=beast-tcp, host=127.0.0.1:30005.

The replacement script which I have provided, replaces dump1090 ver 1.14 by ver 1.15. It is meant for items (1) and (2) listed above. It upgrades dump1090 WITHOUT changing configuration & control, i.e. fr24feed still controls dump1090, and setting is still receiver=DVB-T.
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2019-08-28, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                          X