Lower Altitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Altitude

Hello, I am new to flight tracking and have a general question about airline operations.

On Tuesday, 1/3, I was following my sister's flight from KCMH to KPHX (SWA 392). 30,000 feet was the filed altitude, and it maintained this altitude until somewhere over Kansas, when it descended to 24,000 feet and maintained this altitude until it began its descent into PHX.

I am curious, why would the flight have descended to such a low altitude for the second half of the journey?

Thank you

Shawn

Keep it lower than internationals flying overtop of the airspace.

Consider it an approach altitude under local control vs over-fly altitude

Routes arent just point to point, there can be multiple levels of crossing so they do it to keep separation and more direct stuff on a straight line
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      Keep it lower than internationals flying overtop of the airspace.

Consider it an approach altitude under local control vs over-fly altitude

Routes arent just point to point, there can be multiple levels of crossing so they do it to keep separation and more direct stuff on a straight line
      Thank you. This makes sense.

Comment

Of course there may also have been weather or another issue requiring a different height to avoid
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
        X