Thread: Trying to improve reporting

Passenger

Trying to improve reporting

Are there any tweaks in configuration that will improve the number of positions/flights I actually report to FR24 and are acknowledged? I am certainly tracking many more aircraft vis a vis Dump1090 than my FR24 statistics show. I wonder if I am sending data to frequently or infrequently, something like that.

Super Moderator
    At lot of the time its because the displayed ones are 'held onto' for continuity in standard data display apps. In bad signal spots it will wait 5-10 seconds for another data burst. So you get overlapping info that doesn't actually exist still listed in the list with a timeout limit not reached. As a result, FR24 have undisclosed parameters to follow to ensure the contacts do not dance on screen. It will require a solid signal for a period of time we suspect.

Normal ADSB sends 2 packets a second. As you can imagine, even in 3 seconds a lot of positional/data info can be missed. So its analysed, bundled, sent.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Passenger
    I would like to add my question which goes in the same direction: In October 2016 after having positioned my antenna on top of the roof I was very proud about the reported aircraft. The chart showed me day by day more reported aircrafts and during some weeks I have reached a maximum of 3'000 aircrafts per day.

But after having reached this peek the chart line went down and down and in bad days I see now less than 1500 aircrafts.

Bild 1 - FR24.jpg

Bild 2 - FR24.jpg

I agree that depending on seasonality we have probably more or less aircrafts in my region but I reach now about half of the number I had three months ago.

Do I have an issue with the Hardware (RaPi, Antenna, etc.) or what could be the reason of this decrease of tracked airplanes?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and view.

Purser
    It's definitely seasonal - I made some improvements per the comments but you can see definite summer increase / winter decrease. There was a definite drop when the winter timetables came in in November...

fr24feed.png

Other than the obvious of checking the aerial is still attached; the cables are all plugged in and the log file doesn't contain errors I'd wait for next summer.