Would an inline amp increase reception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would an inline amp increase reception

I have a home made 10 element collinear antennae in the loft (unable to roof mount it due to planning permission) and my 30 day stats show max of 120nm and an average of 40nm (antennae was only moved to loft a week ago so average should increase). The collinear is connected to RTL2832U dongle directly via 6" pigtail. Would installing this inline amp make any real change to my range

Not able to post links yet so the amp is from CPC part number AP02364

My sight is far from perfect with the antennae only 35m above sea level and a large wind turbine about 2 miles away but any cheap ways of increasing my range would be helpful.

Amplifiers increase all signal. Including any noise or interference. So you have to consider that. If your Device hosting the stick is slow this so effects the ability the software has to keep up and decode low signals

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Haggis2016 View Post
      ......Would installing this inline amp make any real change to my range
      Not able to post links yet so the amp is from CPC part number AP02364...........
      CPC Order Code: AP02364
      Manufacturer Part No: AE9701

This Amplifier has a frequency range of 47 - 2400 MHz. The lower frequency of 47 MHz covers TV VHF & UHF Bands, FM, Mobile Phone, and lot of other communication channel. The amplifier will amplify all these signals and overload your DVB-T Dongle, resulting in very poor performance for ADS-B.

Purchase a Satellite inline Amplifier for frequency range 950 -2400 MHz or 950 - 2100 MHz. The 950 MHz is above the frequencies of TV, FM, Mobile Phones etc, and therefore will not amplify these Signals. The upper frequency limit is not important as long as it is more than 1090 Mhz. I used a satellite amplifier 950 - 2050 MHz and it gave big boost to my range. See these posts:

1/2 WAVE DIPOLE WITHOUT AMPLIFIER:
      http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post41045

1/2 WAVE DIPOLE WITH AMPLIFIER:
      http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post41049

3-1/2 ELEMENT COCO WITHOUT AMPLIFIER
      hi everyone my Q is could someone tell me which is the best antenna i can have for a alinco dj-x3 receiver i will be putting it on my house chimney.I am only listening for air traffic and were planes are going to and fro. so can someone help please ;)

3-1/2 ELEMENT COCO WITH AMPLIFIER
      hi everyone my Q is could someone tell me which is the best antenna i can have for a alinco dj-x3 receiver i will be putting it on my house chimney.I am only listening for air traffic and were planes are going to and fro. so can someone help please ;)
      Last edited by abcd567; 2016-12-04, 16:35.

Comment

Thanks for such a detailed reply. I'll have another look at what is available.

Comment

I am now looking at this amp but I am concerned that description says that it needs 11.5 to 19V DC at 40mA but the photo says 15v. Would the ANTIFERENCE PS12F 75 Series Mini PSU 250mA F-Type 12V properly power this amp.

Comment

Haggis2016:

The LABGEAR CM5220 20dB Satellite Inline Amplifier 950 - 2400 MHz 20 dB looks OK.
            Dont worry about conflict between (11.5 to 19V) and (15V). All satellite amplifiers work over a range of Voltage, generally 12V to 18V. On the lable, some mark the range, while some mark the middle value.

The ANTIFERENCE PS12F 75 Series Mini PSU 250mA F-Type 12V power supply looks good and most likely it will work OK, but I am not 100% sure as I have never used this type.
            Last edited by abcd567; 2016-12-13, 17:36.

Comment

Working...
            X