Thread: Accessing flight destination from data collected by dump1090?

Passenger

Accessing flight destination from data collected by dump1090?

Hi there,

I have just set up a raspberry pi with a USB dongle and dump1090. I have created a little app with a mini screen that displays details about the closest flight overhead (calculated via lat/lon coordinates and the haversine formula).

While I am doing this, I am also going to set it up to upload the data to flightradar24 as the data is available and this is such a useful website.

My question is, is there a way to find out the origin and destination airport for a flight via an API?

I appreciate the reasons why FR24 won't release their data via an API, spotted in another post on this forum. Does anyone know of an alternative service I can use to get this information?

I only want the three-letter code for the airport (e.g. LHR) given a callsign (e.g. BAW364)

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Pete

Passenger
    I'll answer my own question, might be of use to others in future...

Flight route data can be downloaded free from a website called _virtualradarserver_

This will help translate a flight callsign such as `BAW,364` to its origin and destination: `EGLL-LFLL`

Further information about these airports can then be retrieved from data downloaded from a website called _ourairports_

This helps translate the airport code such as `EGLL` to its physical location: `LHR (EGLL), London Heathrow Airport - London, England, United Kingdom`

Hope that will help others.

Correct but you will need to edit routes from time to time 'cos routes are changing seasonally

Poslano sa mog SM-G920F koristeći Tapatalk
    For official support use Contact Form