• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QUICK SPIDER - No Soldering, No Connector

DIY QUICK SPIDER - No Soldering Required, No SO239 Connector Required

Maximum Range Curve By VRS

Hardware Used for Range Curve Plotting:
    Quick Spider >> 12 ft / 4 m RG6 Coax >> Generic DVB-T (black) >> Orange Pi PC

Trial Run - Indoor Near Large Window

HOW TO MAKE

Please see these posts also for previous Versions:

(1) May 2015

(2) September 2016

STEP 1 - Stuff Required

STEP 2 - Cut Coax Into Required Pieces

STEP 3 - Remove braid & Insulation

STEP 4 - Bend Wires

STEP 5 - Assemble Radials

STEP 6 - Bend Down Radials 45 Degrees

Last edited by abcd567; 2016-11-22, 18:57.

ENHANCEMENT FOR OUTDOOR USE
    1) Apply a rapid setting (5 minutes) sealant like 2-part epoxy, or silicone, or hot melt glue, or similar at the point where radials enter the outer jacket of coax.
    2) After installation. wrap the F-connector in tape to prevent moisture ingress. You may also use outdoor type F connector which are water resistant

Last edited by abcd567; 2016-10-27, 00:16.

Comment

Oh, I like that, will have to try one out on the Raspi I am playing with... only one question, where do I get one of those fancy blue mounts :-)))
      If life is a stage, most of us are unrehearsed...!

Comment

Originally posted by DemonLee View Post
        Oh, I like that, will have to try one out on the Raspi I am playing with... only one question, where do I get one of those fancy blue mounts :-)))
        It is cover of a plastic jar, put upside down. I made it in August 2014 to house Cantenna. The post linked below shows how I made it (now I have removed the jar, leaving its blue cap in place, and replaced Cantenna by Quick Spider).

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post55629

Comment

I like the "simple" antennas, like this one. Thank you very much indeed for your posting.

It's a variation of the "poor man's ground plane antenna", described by K2RIC in 1957 in "CQ (USA)".

I use another variation - with just 4 radials - here on my side. Cable however is just 50 Ohms (RG 58), but working quite well with my FR24-feeder.

Here a website (in German language) showing how to build a comparable "poor man's gp" (although not for 1090 MHz, but the idea of manufacturing is the same, just other dimensions):
          -> http://www.qsl.net/dl2lux/sat/gpa.html
          He used an N connector for build (pictures 2A and 2B in the linked webpage) - I used a BNC connector. Very cheap - for the "poor man". And doing the job quite well.
          Last edited by Wolli; 2016-11-15, 21:52.

Comment

@ Wolli
            (1) The main difference between "poor man's ground plane antenna" and "Quick Spider" is that "poor man's" antenna requires a SO239 or N connector, whereas "Quick Spider" does not require any connector, and therefore can be called "very poor man's ground plane antenna"

(2) The "poor man's ground plane antenna" is itself a variant of "ground plane antenna" which existed since the time radio communications were started at beginning of 20th century, but it used a heavier mechanical construction to support radials, instead of a VHF/UHF connector used by K2RIC in 1957.

By the way, the very first antenna of the world was invented by German scientist Heinrich Hertz in 1886, and it was a 1/2 wave dipole (CLICK HERE).

Comment

@abcd567

Thank you very much for your reply. I agree 100%, it's indeed a very smart antenna solution for the very poor man.

And yes, I of course noticed "no soldering" and "no connector" (the "poor man's" used by myself needs soldering and connector) - a very charming solution.

As being a friend of "simple antennas", I consider to make an attempt in the near future with plain 75Ohm SAT cable, like introduced here (sorry, in German language, but the pictures on this site themselves should however show, what I'm planning to do). The centre core around 65mm long, and the shield (with length also around 65mm) "rolled back" over the plastic jacket.

This should - hopefully - produce an antenna impedance of @75 Ohms (very roughly, of course), corresponding to the SAT cable's impedance.

I'm interested in your thoughts about this (possible) solution. Please feel free to comment, if you like.

This solution is - of course - not very suitable for DXing, but for omnidirectional reception in the "near field" (radius let's say up to @100 NM) it seems very promising to me.

Greetings from Germany to Canada, -Wolli-

Comment

@Wolli

The antenna you want to make is a simplified varient of coaxial antenna ("Die Koaxialantenne"). It is also known as "Sleeved Dipole". Please see the diagram below.

(Translation in english in red and blue colors added by me)

Last edited by abcd567; 2016-11-23, 02:15.

Comment

@abcd567:

Yes, absolutely correct. To my shame (red ears here) I must admit, that I looked into my Rothammel some months ago and did not find the Coaxial Antenna, although it's clearly listed (and even easily to find!) in this "antenna bible". Well, maybe I was searching for another variant at that time, I don't remember to 100%.

So I think this should work, and I will try out - hopefully within the next few weeks. Possible small mismatches (Rothammel: 60 Ohm cable - my attempt: 75 Ohm cable) won't produce too much loss in signal strength at the receiver's input, as I suppose.

Again many thanks for your feedback - and also a very big THANK YOU for your very impressive postings concerning antennas, e.g. the "Cantenna" and so many more.

Greetings again from Germany, -Wolli-

Comment

@Wolli
                    Thank you.
                    Please post your opinion about the "DVB-T Selbstbau-Antenne" after you make and use it.

Comment

@abcd567:

Yep. My intention is to try that one first as it is extremely easy to build - although your experiences with the Coax Antenna are not too promising [B]as you posted here[/B]. In a second step I'll try your Cantenna (same posting also), which is much more promising as you state there (and also quite easy to set up).

Trials will hopefully start in the next days/weeks, when I find some time. I'll let you know about the results of my attempts.

Greetings from Germany to Canada, and have a nice weekend, -Wolli-

Comment

Did the quick spider outperform the Cantenna?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by joni1101 View Post
                          Did the quick spider outperform the Cantenna?

My Cantenna performs slightly better than Spider, but for some others Spider performs better than Cantenna.

Actually it is not the antenna alone. It is (antenna+coax+location) which decides overall performance. Since Cantenna and Spider are very close in performance, any one of the two can perform better than other depending on location & coax length.

Comment

Testing of Quick Spider by Antenna Analyzer

VSWR=1.2, R=59Ω, X=5Ω, and S11=-20 @1090 MHz

Plot of VSWR vs Frequency 137.5 Mhz ~ 2700 MHz.
                            Marker at 1090 MHz, minimum SWR at marker

Comment

Looks like this antenna has very slightly better specs than the Cantenna. Can you affect the impedance by the angle of the spider legs?

Comment

Working...
                              X