Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Passenger
    Hi,

I installed Dump1090-mutability some time ago, but didn't install the graph tools. Is there a way to add the performance graphs to an existing install or do I have to build a new install?

Thanks

R

Captain
    You'll have to run the install again and it's sufficient to select installing the web interface and the graphs.

But i'd just go with the standalone graphs (but i'm biased as i work on them)
    https://github.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090#graphs1090

Passenger
    [QUOTE=wiedehopf;126576]You'll have to run the install again and it's sufficient to select installing the web interface and the graphs.

But i'd just go with the standalone graphs (but i'm biased as i work on them)

Hi,

Thanks, they look great, so I will give it a try. I am mainly interested in looking at signal/noise to fine tune my system gain, but the other graphs look interesting as well.

Robin

Captain
    The signal graph is changed quite significantly in comparison to the original version.

The "noise" graph that was there previously wasn't strictly noise but contained anything that couldn't be decoded (partial messages).
    My version displays the "weakest signal" which is just the plane with the lowest RSSI currently received.
    It should also be a representation of noise though, as with lower noise, you can receive aircraft with weaker signal.

The signal graph itself is not the average of the signal of all received messages but rather is statistics on all aircraft that are received.
    So the graph shows a Median, not the average of the signal of all aircraft being received.
    If you are familiar with that, it displays the statistical 5 number summary of the signal strength of aircraft being received.

Passenger
    Brilliant, installed and working. Just what I wanted. You are the man.

I am probably running too much gain, peak signal is -1.2dBFS and weakest is -21.6dBFS, so only around 20dB dynamic range, I am probably lifting the noise too much. Still I am getting 110 to 120 aircraft tracked out to 240nm, so not too bad.

It always amazes me with Linux install scripts, so much gets installed and configured and it always seems to work.

Thanks a lot

Robin

Captain
    Sometimes it's a tradeoff between receiving very close and very distant aircraft.

Normally i recommend 1% to 5% Messages >-3dB.

That's also what my automatic gain adjustment adjusts to, it's included in the bundle below but also can be installed separately (only for dump1090-fa).
    https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-sc...for-dump1090fa

Passenger
    After about 1 hour I am showing 31% of my messages with signal strength -3dB or higher. I do live quite close to an airport, but it is not the busiest [in the UK] so suspect I am running with too much gain. I was after more distant aircraft so suspect I should be a bit higher in the > -3dB section.

Looking at my 1st to 3rd quartile, these look a little high to be using the dynamic range of the receiver (Flight Aware stick with filters) to it's best advantage.

1st to 3rd extends from -3dB to -15dB, mean is -6.1dB.

adsb-rssi.JPG

Robin

Captain
    It quite depends but i would imagine that the range won't go down when you reduce the gain by 5.

The range will only significantly decrease once the weakest signal is around -25 to -30.