Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

keyboard:
    Try
    Code:
    sudo lighty-enable-mod dump1090
    sudo /etc/init.d/lighttpd force-reload
    Then clear browser cache and try YourIP/admin, YouIP/graphs.php and YouIP/dump1090/gmap.html

also try sudo reboot

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    keyboard:
    Try
    Code:
    Then clear browser cache and try YourIP/admin, YouIP/graphs.php and YouIP/dump1090/gmap.html

also try sudo reboot
    Tried a reboot last night.

already enabled
    Run /etc/init.d/lighttpd force-reload to enable changes

[ ok ] Reloading lighttpd configuration (via systemctl): lighttpd.service.

admin and graphs = 403
    map works OK as it always has.

keyboard:
    It look during install some required files did not download or got corrupted. It is hard to debug. A reinstall may sometimes solves the problem, but not guaranteed. If re-install does not work, then the only option left is a clean re-install: Format microSD card and reinstall everything.

Passenger
    keyboard:
    It look during install some required files did not download or got corrupted. It is hard to debug. A reinstall may sometimes solves the problem, but not guaranteed. If re-install does not work, then the only option left is a clean re-install: Format microSD card and reinstall everything.
    Yeah I tried many times the install script to no avail. Will do a reinstall when I get the time. Thanks for the advice.

Passenger

Ok fresh install and all working now. Looking at the noise graph and my set up. I have the flightaware antenna outside about half way up the roof. N type to sma converter then 5m of sma to sma to the flightaware filter and pro stick. Trying to work out a way of reducing the antenna cable length. Either USB power up the drain pipe or take mains outside but then how to I waterproof the mains power socket for the USB connection.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by keyboard View Post
    Ok fresh install and all working now. Looking at the noise graph and my set up. I have the flightaware antenna outside about half way up the roof. N type to sma converter then 5m of sma to sma to the flightaware filter and pro stick. Trying to work out a way of reducing the antenna cable length. Either USB power up the drain pipe or take mains outside but then how to I waterproof the mains power socket for the USB connection.
    What is gain setting? With Flightaware ProStick, normally better performance is achieved by reducing gain. The optimal value of gain is very variable, people have reported gain values ranging from 28 to 42. It depends on location, system hardware, and RF interference/noise at that location. The RF interference/noise depends on presence of other strong RF signals such as Cell Phone signals and other mobile communications at frequencies close to 1090 MHz. The Filter removes the far away frequency signals, but signals very close in frequency to 1090 MHz are not fully removed. Reducing gain reduces the overload caused by RF noise.

How much will be length of coax if antenna is at its full height?

Passenger
    What is gain setting? With Flightaware ProStick, normally better performance is achieved by reducing gain. The optimal value of gain is very variable, people have reported gain values ranging from 28 to 42. It depends on location, system hardware, and RF interference/noise at that location. The RF interference/noise depends on presence of other strong RF signals such as Cell Phone signals and other mobile communications at frequencies close to 1090 MHz. The Filter removes the far away frequency signals, but signals very close in frequency to 1090 MHz are not fully removed. Reducing gain reduces the overload caused by RF noise.

How much will be length of coax if antenna is at its full height?
    OK I will play with the gains. Thing is traffic isn't consistent so its hard to judge, I guess at some point you trade off range, currently with agc setting I am getting max 200nm in the best direction.
    5m of coax but its sma to sma and quite thin so maybe a lot of loss. Will try a thicker less lossy cable and also try a pig tail close to the antenna and hang a portable mains plug for the pi close by the test if I do get benefit before I attempt wiring directly into the loft. Any better filters? I am on the edge of London so expect RF noise is high./

keyboard:
    5 meters coax is not a big deal if you use medium or high quality cable. For example, the RG6 coax is moderately priced and has an attenuation of 6.5 dB /100 ft. For 5 meters (=16 feet), the attenuation will be 6.5 x 16/100 = 1.04 dB, a very nominal value which is easily compensated by ProStick's 18 dB integral pre-amp.

The Flightaware filter is good enough for most urban situations, and is economically priced. I use it for two of my RPis.

PS: better discuss antenna, coax and filter issues in hardware thread "best antenna"
    Last edited by abcd567; 2017-03-21 at 00:10.

Passenger
    Should SSH be enabled after burning jessie to the microsd card? I can't connect using putty..

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by miller745 View Post
    Should SSH be enabled after burning jessie to the microsd card? I can't connect using putty..
    Yes definitely. It is probably easier to use
    Code:
    sudo raspi-config
    and go to the Advanced Options panel raspi-config2.png

I you feel the need to use root in SSH then you need to edit the
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    and search for the string "PermitRootLogin" change "without-password" to "yes"

Now you can login SSH as root. There are many arguments for not allowing SSH root access but I do this regularly on my "play" systems and then disable root if I put the RPi into permanent use.
    T-KCLT3 - Raspberry Pi3 Jessie, 8 element collinear indoor antenna