Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Dump1090-mutability: About gain -10

Question: What does gain -10 actually mean?
    Answer: Enable the tuner AGC.

Question: So that is the same as having GAIN="agc" in /etc/default/dump1090-mutability ??
    Answer: Yes, if you look at the init script you will see that AGC is translated to -10 and if you look at the dump1090 source then you will see that -10 turns on AGC.

-10 is a special value meaning "turn on AGC" (for ADS-B, the AGC doesn't actually give auto-gain, just a high gain. Usually AGC will behave like "more gain than max")

-10 and agc are identical, they both end up passing "--gain -10" to dump1090, see the /etc/init.d/dump1090-mutability script:
    Code:
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/init.d/dump1090-mutability
    #!/bin/sh
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    case "x$GAIN" in
     x|xmax) ;;
     xagc) ARGS="$ARGS --gain -10" ;;
     *) ARGS="$ARGS --gain $GAIN" ;;
    esac

For regular gains, you want a positive value in the 0..50 range (nominally in dB). It will pick the closest gain step to the value you give. If you specify any negative number (other than -10), then the closest gain is 0dB: minimum gain!

AVAILABLE GAIN VALUES:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ rtl_test
    Found 1 device(s):
    0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
    Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
    Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 1 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 4 49.6
    Sampling at 2048000 S/s.

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
    samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
    lost at least 16 bytes
    ^CSignal caught, exiting!

User cancel, exiting...
    Samples per million lost (minimum): 0
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

@ maverick464

It is not necessary to install "advanced option". In fact recommended is NOT to install "advanced option", as advance option keeps on storing data on microSD card, and in due cources fills it up if old data is not deleted.

After installation of web portal is completed, following two configuration are required for graphs to display:

STEP-1: in your browser open page <IP of PI>/install/ and complete the configuration process.

STEP-2: After Step-1 is completed, go to address <IP of Pi>/admin/ , log-in using username & password you have set in step-1, then
    (a) In "Navigation" tab, check "Enable performance graph link" (as already mentioned by Bbox77 in his post above). As Blog is mostly not used, un-check "Enable blog link".
    (b) In "General" tab, change "Default Page" from "Blog" to "Performance Graphs".
    (c) In "Measurements" tab, set units of distance (nautical miles/miles/km) and temprature (deg F or C)
    After steps (a), (b), and (c), click the "Save Settings" button at bottom-left of page.

Iím very grateful for great amount of effort abcd4567 and other have put into helping us newbies. Thanks so much for you posting and be assured that they are very helpful and people like me read and reread them.
    With all of your help, I have Dump1090-Mutability up and going with my area rings on my upgraded map and Iím feeding data.
    However, I canít get to the performance graphs?
    IP of PI>/ gets me a placeholder page
    IP of PI>/install , IP of PI>/admin/index.php and IP of PI>/graphs.php all get a 404 not found
    This is my third format and reinstall. (Trying to load plane finder crashed it)

Can someone confirm the correct way to access the performance graphs to confirm I have an issue on the install?

I remember on the install there was a question about sharing data on a webpage that I wasnít clear on.

Thanks for your help,

RockRidge

If the dump 1090-mutability v1.15~dev is installed by automated scripts, a bug is introduced which displays Metric units on Map, even when settings are Imperial.

To remove this bug, edit file "config.is" as shown below:

Code:

sudo nano /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/config.js
    In file "config.js", scroll down till you find a line

Metric="false; "

Remove quotes " " (but don't remove the ; semi colon), so the line becomes:

Metric=false;

Save the file config.js (Ctrl+o), close file (Ctrl+x), and restart dump1090-mutability

Code:

sudo systemctl restart dump1090-mutability
    Now clear cache of your browser, and reload/refresh the map in your browser, and you will see the data in metric and range rings, which are 100, 1500, and 200 km, will enlarge to 100, 150, and 200 nautical miles.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2017-07-26 at 15:23.

@RockRidge:

(1) To see what maximum range in various directions your terrain allows:
    Go to thread linked below, and scroll down to see "STEP (8): ADD TERRAIN LIMIT RINGS"
    https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...-15-dev-on-RPi

(2) There is likely an easy method to delete old data, but I am not aware of it. I never tried to delete old data. If I find the method, I will post it.

The bandwidth usage isn't showing up in the web portal while running Raspbian Stretch,
    due to the fact that ethernet interfaces names in Stretch are based on MAC addresses instead of eth0, eth1, etc.

It can be fixed by adding net.ifnames=0 at the end of the line on boot/cmdline.txt file.

Last edited by thehague; 2017-08-31 at 12:48.

Passenger
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by gr8hannan View Post
    I installed Dump1090-mutability but I'm not able to get these performance charts. I have restarted my rasberypi also but no luck. Any idea why is that, did I miss something?
    You dont tell us much about what you did or not.

I dont know much about mutability but logged in the RPi have you issued a :

ps ax | more

???

You should see lines like :

19523 ? Sl 19:45 /usr/bin/fr24feed -- --monitor-file=/dev/shm/fr24feed.txt --write-pid=/var/run/fr24feed.pid --quiet --log-base=/var/log/fr24feed --log-rotate=1

22572 ? Rl 212:41 /usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 --net --raw

Would you check it first.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8hannan View Post
    My setup is:

1) FlightAware Pro Stick Plus ADS-B USB Receiver with Built-in Filter
    2) 1090MHz ADS-B Antenna - 66cm / 26in (From FlightAware)
    3) SMA Male to N Type Male Plug Wifi Antenna Pigtail Cable 16.1"
    you have good hardware. Low range can be because of following:
    (1) Bad connectors and pigtails.
    (2) High gain setting of dump1090-mutability. Try reducing gain. Try different settings like 50, 45, 40, 37, 35, 33 etc, and see which setting gives you best results.
    (2) Too much RF noise like strong Cell Phone and other communication signals. This can be improved by a Filter. Although FlightAware Pro Stick Plus (Blue) has an integral filter, the filter is located after the tuner chip, and does not prevent overload of front end tuner chip. Adding an external filter between antenna & Pro Stick Plus improves range & plane count greatly.

This has happened with me. Like you, I also live not far from CYYZ, in an apartment building, having Cell phone antenna on top of my building, and surrounding buildings as well. Due to strong RF noise (Cell phone signals), I had to add a filter to get good results. Please see screenshot below.

First check your connections.
    Next try reducing gain.
    If the problem is still not solved, then add an external filter between antenna and Pro Stick Plus.

@MrMac:
    Thanks for pin-pointing at SMA connector.
    Though I have mentioned "Bad connectors and pigtails", I did not eleborate it.
    Below are more details on this issue:

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMA AND RP-SMA

TEMPORARY WORKAROUND
    The SMA-male has center pin. The reverse SMA (RP-SMA) male does not have a center pin, it has a hole. The center wire connection is open because of missing pin. A temporary workaround is to cut a short piece of center wire of coax and insert in hole of RP-SMA male. This piece of wire will act as the missing pin, and connection will be established.