Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Passenger
    Mmmmhhh could it be caused by the position of the antenna? See post #89 pic 4 the scheme I draw about installation.
    Could it be caused also by possible broken/bended coax cable? Sorry for newbie question but I AM a newbie in freq field.
    Why it worked when the antenna was on my bed? Probably the reason of noise has to be looked in one of the above questions?

I'll consider in buying a filter after having further troubleshooted with another dongle to narrow the problem down

Thanks anyway for the advice and now I'll try to do a spectrum scan if I manage to....

And here it is. I divided it in 4 pieces as in first upload the original file was resized and was unreadable.

Even if I'm a completely ignorant in frequencies and spectrum I can clearly see that my spectrum is a real mess....isn't it?

800-920.jpg

920-1000.png

1000-1120.jpg

1120-1200.png
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by maverick464; 2019-01-04 at 12:49.

Captain
    No a broken coax would present differently and if you can remember really abusing it like bending it really sharply or squeezing it really hard then i can't see how it would get damaged.

Which other dongles do you have? (As i mentioned some have a filter builtin)

There is strong mobile band noise at 950 MHz which can be a problem in itself.
    But the real problem making you unable to receive anything is that smeared out noise that goes basically all the way from 1080 to 1160 MHz
    Not sure where noise on that frequency comes from really.

Also not sure if any filter would help against that noise.
    Because the filter can't filter noise at 1090MHz.

It worked when the antenna was in your room in your parents house?

Then mounting somewhere in the attic or at another location on the roof might be the solution.
    You could also try unplugging the SAT receiver to test if it works then (could be backfeeding noise into the satellite dish, though that would be problematic for TV reception as well i guess)

Passenger
    No, I've been very careful in installing the coax cable, did not abuse it

The dongle I have are:

This one at my parents' home bought at jetvision DOT de website in bundle with antenna and coax cable
    Schermata 2019-01-04 alle 14.22.13.png

This one at my own place working like a charm even though it's an "old" version compared to the one above.
    Schermata 2019-01-04 alle 14.22.52.png

The black one is the one I'll buy again on Amazon, to further troubleshoot as I have a SMA/MCX adapter at home, next time I go to my parents.

I'll then try to move the antenna away from SAT dish (even if it's unused since years, no decoder connected to it) and from TV antenna.

For the moment, unfortunately, I can't do much more remotely from my home.

I'll report the tests made and hopefully the solution for future users reference, as soon as I go to my parents' place next month.

Thanks abcd567 and wiedehopf for your patience and hints, I learned some new coding lines that will be helpful in future, probably.

Happy New Year

Captain
    Don't buy the jetvision dongle, the rtl-sdr blog dongle is better

Or get a flightaware blue dongle, it has a builtin amplifier and SAW filter.

Don't see the dongle being the problem. You just have unusual noise nothing to do with the dongle

Passenger
    Thought they were the same dongle from jetvision and RTL-SDR website....
    Do you think this one is better? FlightAware dongle

Captain
    Well it's different. It has an amplifier and filter built in. (The blue one. the orange one is without the filter don't get that)

rtl-sdr blog v3 dongle with metal housing is very different from the plastic mcx jetvision dongle.
    jetvision sells the rtl-sdr blog v3 dongle too.

But probably your dongle you have now is just fine.
    Get this for the filtering (double filter)
    https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-...mhz-ads-b-lna/

If you can't switch off the noise source this filter/LNA is by far your best bet. Filtering is much better than by the filter in the blue FA dongle.
    No guarantees though the noise is literally at 1090 MHz. Never seen this before.

Your current metal case dongle can supply the 4.5V for it to work.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-01-04 at 14:56.

I have posted the noise scan thread both in Flightaware as well as Flightradar24 forums.

Infact I posted it in FR24 forum few days before I posted it in Flghtaware forum. In FR24 forum it is located under the category "Technical Matters (hardware)"

FlightRadar24
    Do I need a Filter? - Find RF Signals In Area

FlightAware
    Do I need a Filter?

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    I have posted the noise scan thread both in Flightaware as well as Flightradar24 forums.

Sorry didn't have it handy

Have you ever seen a noise scan like that?
    In the 1090-1160 MHz range?

Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Have you ever seen a noise scan like that?
    In the 1090-1160 MHz range?
    No, never. This is unusual.
    May be the dongle itself, or Pi's WiFi chip generating it.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    No, never. This is unusual.
    May be the dongle itself, or Pi's WiFi chip generating it.
    He said the same setup worked fine when it was positioned somewhere else.

Not sure if it was in the same house or another place.