Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pi receiver - please help

Passenger

New Pi receiver - please help

I am trying to set up a new pi based receiver but would like to ask for help to make it work. The unit appears to boot ok (to a login prompt seen on a monitor) and its availability is shown in statistics on flightradar24.com when it is on but at the same time it shows as offline and also no planes are shown as being received (also on viewing port 8754). The antenna and DVB stick do show plane data when connected to an XP laptop running rtl1090 so these appear to be ok. The Pi is an early model B paired with a 1G SD card on which I loaded 1.0.18-7 software. Any suggestions on how to proceed to debug this would be gratefully received. I am not very familiar with linux. I have disabled MLAT on setup page as my Pi is not a B+.

Passenger
    I am a newbie, but I don't think a 1G card is big enough. I am running mine with 32G (overkill, I am sure) and I think I saw somewhere that 4G was absolute minimum. Hopefully you will get a more authoritative answer shortly.

Passenger
    Just to add to the above the command "sudo service fr24 status" shows as "active (running)" in green + other info, but "sudo service dump1090 status" shows "Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory) Active:inactive (dead)"

I have tried rewriting the image to a different (2G) SD card but this gives the same results.

The Pi is a revision 0002.

There are no obvious startup errors and the web settings and status page can be viewed ok on a PC and the hdmi output and login to pi via a keyboard appear to work ok.

Thanks to jcinnb for reply - If no luck I'll try to find a 4G card but the 1 and 2 appear to boot ok and the unzipped image file size is only 972.8KB. Also the info page does say a 1GB card is ok though for my Pi it's SD not microSD as listed there.

Super Moderator
    Configured wrong or producing an error (likely can't connect to stick due to blacklist)

Lose the word service from the lines and look for errors

http://forum.flightradar24.com/showthread.php?p=74834

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Passenger
    Thanks for replies but still struggling...
    Have looked through all of boot up sequence (by videoing it and looking frame by frame!) and can see no errors. USB dongle is recognised as Realtek RTL2838UHIDIR and no errors shown.
    I am not clear whether I'm looking for a hardware or software error (especially blacklist comment). I thought this was an "appliance" image that would just work with the hardware parts I have. Even connecting a monitor and keyboard was more than I expected to do! My command line experience is very limited.
    I am not sure how much of the additional FAQs and info applies to the image I am using and in particular whether dump1090 should be running or not in my system (it appears not - see above).
    I am also still puzzled why my system shows available time, when powered up, in my fr24 account, but also always shows as offline.
    Finally, are there ANY software settings I should be doing to suit my hardware? The only thing I have tried changing from default in the :8754 web config page is to set MLAT to off.
    Could anyone else also confirm if using a 1 or 2G SD card with this image in an early Pi works ok? It would be good to hear if it's worked for you (or not!).

Team FR24
    Hi Sandbar,

I think the best option is to start simple and check the logs first to see what error you are getting. Log in to your pi and use this command if you didn't change the log file location: tail -f /var/log/fr24feed.log
    Once you know the error that you are getting, it would become easier to figure out what the problem is.
    --

Passenger
    Thanks Khan, After the initial few lines the log file command you gave produces the following result:

These 5 lines repeated every 5 to 6 seconds with different values of xxxx

[reader] [i]Connecting to DVBT receiver via (exe:///usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 --raw --mlat)
    [reader] [i]Connected to the receiver, configuring
    [reader] [i]Configured, processing messages
    [reader] [i]Connection terminated
    [main] [i] Terminating child process xxxx with SIGETERM

Also these 2 lines interspersed about every 30 seconds:

[feed][n]ping xx
    [feed][n]syncing stream result: 1

Also occasionally

[time][i]Synchronizing time via NTP
    [time][i]Time synchronized correctly, offset +0.0003 seconds

[stats][e] Cached feed_id 107052 for network T
    [stats][i]sent 16 bytes

Passenger
    The value of xxxx in the SIGETERM line increments by 4 each time
    The ping value increments by 1

Passenger
    These settings work good. I copied them in and off to races!