MLAT and original Pi Model B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLAT and original Pi Model B

I feed with a first generation Model B. I have MLAT off because on the settings page from port 8754 it says "Participate in MLAT calculations (Raspberry Pi B+ / Raspberry Pi 2 only)". Is that still the case? And interested to know why!

I too am running an original Pi with the default software image (MLAT on) - should I switch it to off?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandbar View Post
      I too am running an original Pi with the default software image (MLAT on) - should I switch it to off?
      I don't know!!! You're the first to reply to my question of ten days ago. It needs an answer from someone knowledgeable.

Comment

It works on all pi models but you need to have a dvbt stick as a receiver to feed mlat data. FR24 at the time uses mlat data from Pis with dvbt dongles. If you have these then you can feed mlat data.
        --

Comment

Originally posted by Khan View Post
          It works on all pi models but you need to have a dvbt stick as a receiver to feed mlat data. FR24 at the time uses mlat data from Pis with dvbt dongles. If you have these then you can feed mlat data.
          Thank you. I've turned MLAT on. Restarting the software didn't get it going but rebooting the Pi did. Oddly it has changed the type size on the port 8754 page!

I do have a question though. It has my co-ordinates manually input (but accurate) but not my elevation. Also the clock is likely to be out due to slowish ADSL, copper wire, transmission distance etc etc. So without GPS on the Pi I don't fully understand how MLAT can work. Does the FR24 computer slowly add adjustment for errors over time or is MLAT always a bit "here...ish"?

Comment

Thanks Khan from me too. I am also now running MLAT on my early Pi model B (not B+). Like aka_pseudonym I initially turned it off because of the comment on the settings page. It would be helpful if this were updated to reflect that it works on all Pis with a dvbt stick, as you have clarified.

I am located fairly near to an airport (Southampton UK) where a lot of flights seem to come in without lat/long info (mainly Flybe) and go off the map before landing so hopefully my data will help improve this!

Comment

Working...
            X