Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• two dongles on a RPi???

Is it possible?

I am thinking of putting up a second antenna this one would be directional as opposed to the current one which is a omnidirectional collinear

I am suspecting that the processing power of the RPi would be overwhelmed, anyone done it?

//
    """Learning is a treasure which accompanies us everywhere"""

It should work, just make sure to specify which RTL-SDR dongle to use in each instance of dump1090.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

i have two dongles running on rpi 3 one for adsb another for acars, and cpu rounds about 19%, so far so good no problem, just one thing, i have 2.5ma power supply with 2.0ma i has experienced occasionaly dongle two shutdown.
      cheers

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by G8VXY View Post
        Is it possible?

I am thinking of putting up a second antenna this one would be directional as opposed to the current one which is a omnidirectional collinear

I am suspecting that the processing power of the RPi would be overwhelmed, anyone done it?
        Depends on which pi you have. The pi3 has a pretty decent 1.2 GHz quad core SoC and my system load running dump1030, lighttd, fr24feed and munin (kicks off a bunch of forks every 5 minutes) has a fairly constant load of 0.3 (of 4).

I've ordered a second SDR which I plan to use for airband. I have no idea how much CPU that will take, but demodulating AM should not be terribly taxing.

You might want to keep an eye on your SoC temperature if you don't have a heatsink attached. Ambient temperature will count for a lot. When testing downstairs (no heatsink), it idled at ~ 50°C and peaked at around 60°C when running rtl_tcp. Now it's in the loft (bearing in mind the time of year), it ranges from 40–50°C. In summer, it could get a bit hot without a heatsink, and that's before I add a second decoder.

It might turn out that decoding on the pi uses less CPU and energy than streaming (eg with rtl_tcp) does because I/O uses a lot of power and also leaves the CPU to do a lot of waiting.

Comment

Working...
        X