Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coax cable with or without ferrite?

Hello,

I am always using pre-made cable to connect receiver and antenna.
    And I wonder wheter I should use cable with or without ferrite?

Cable like this:
    11509.jpg

or like this:
    70599.jpg

Hi djborec,

This may help, it is more for "Audio" however I see it as being similar issue to your situation.

I couldn't help to notice you are using (or at least the photo's depict) PAL connectors with I presume RG6 cable - RG6 cable is 75 ohm. Could I ask what is the setup you are using? Would it be Raspberry Pi and TV style dongle? I'm guessing also TV dongle which in some cases match the use of PAL connectors which you show.

Although RG6 cable would work, it may not be the "best" style of cable. I do have one of my receivers running on RG6, however the antenna I use along with it is also 75 ohm too, so no mis-match and cable run is quite short - result is it works ok, but not as good as some of the other receivers running LBC240 (50 ohm) cable into 50 ohm antennas.

I found this comment on another forum:
    "The ferrite core is, as named, the actual magnetic CORE of an inductor, be it a transformer or a single coil, the "shorted turn" only occurs IF a turn of a separate conductor is placed around the ferrite core and the ends shorted together.
    The intended purpose of the cores on the power and aerial leads, is to reduce or eliminate the RF interference which may find its way into the device, in this case, the TV, and also to reduce the radiation of switch-mode noise and other interference from within the device and thus protect other devices from the TV "noise".
    (Try using a portable AM radio nearby to sample this noise!!)"

The Forum quote was in relation to ferrite core's being placed on both ends of a TV power cord (to be affixed by the end user not by manufacturer) and a third one was supplied to go onto the antenna cable - all three were "optional" to be installed.

So, in summary, yes, try an AM radio close to your receiver, if there is noise from nearby RF then by all means use ferrite core cable, if not, don't bother....

Hope that kind of helps. But interesting question never the less !

Regards,
    Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by djborec View Post
      Hello,

I am always using pre-made cable to connect receiver and antenna.
      And I wonder wheter I should use cable with or without ferrite?

Cable like this:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]7932[/ATTACH]

or like this:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]7933[/ATTACH]
      The TV connectors are unsuitable for the 1GHz frequency. The ferrites will not work either at these high ranges.
      You sholud use a least MCX connectors.

Comment

without knowing what the ferrites are and what frequencies they are designed to filter, i would say go without ferrites.
        T-EGLF8

Comment

Working...
        X