Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing Flightradar24 on the latest Raspberry Pi

Flight attendant
    It seems I missed a minus on the original co-ords given to FR. Put we in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. FR have corrected it and now have a range of 116 nm!!! Wonderful

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewfield View Post
    Fair enough!
    And it even moderated this one since it quoted the @ again
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comparison of Two Antennas At Same Location and Connected to Identical Hardware

Physical layout of System 1 & 2

Note:
    This photo was taken two months ago, when with Cantenna, I have used generic DVB-T (black) and no filter.
    Recently I have replaced the Generic DVB-T by FA ProStick + FA Filter.
    The Max Range VRS plot below is after replacing generic DVB-T with FA Filter+ProStick

System 1:
    Cantenna (DIY, less than one £) + 4 meters RG6 coax + FA Filter + FA Pro Stick (FA DVB-T with built-in amplifier)

System 2:
    FA 26 inch Antenna (£38.50 at Amazon.co.uk) + 1.5 meters RG6 coax + FA Filter + FA Pro Stick (FA DVB-T with built-in amplifier)

Feel a little more tempted to make and try a Cantenna?

Flight attendant
    I,ll continue with my folded dipole at this stage. The prototype one taped to the outside of the window is dragging in heaps of stuff with max range 116 nm. The outside one with identical constructio will be erected today or tomorrow.

The folded dipole is similar to the simple half-wave dipole but with the feedpoint impedance multiplied by 4, i.e. 4 x 75 = 300 Ω.

The input impedance of DVB-T is 75 Ω.

This will result in severe impedance mismatch and a very high SWR, unless some impedance matching arrangement is made.

Flight attendant
    Okay, if it fails I will need to try again. Having just finished building it I will try it.

Flight attendant
    Are you talking about the old fashioned 300 ohm to 75 ohm ballum we used to use on the old TV,s that had ribbon feeder. I can get one. If not, have you got a site that can give me the details re building one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcra View Post
    Are you talking about the old fashioned 300 ohm to 75 ohm ballum we used to use on the old TV,s that had ribbon feeder. I can get one. If not, have you got a site that can give me the details re building one.
    Here are ones for TV. Normally these are very lossy, but ok for TV as TV signals are generally much stronger than ADS-B signals (TV stations within 50nm, transmitting 10kw to 100kw, aeroplanes as far as 300nm, transmitting less than 1kw).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...ng+transformer

TV 75 to 300 push on.jpg.TV 75 to 300.jpg
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-08-26 at 23:38.

Flight attendant
    Thanks , I will order one today

The above link was for ebay international. You may find cheaper if you try ebay uk.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nk...+75+to+300+ohm

You can also try a store in your area which sells dish/satellite/tv antennas, cables and accesories. You may get it cheaper and will also save cost of postage.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-08-27 at 01:49.