Installing Flightradar24 on the latest Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alcra View Post
    We have large ranges to the north but they are miles away.. apart from that just and a clear 360 degree view. Must be the glass in the window that is limiting me. Have just got back from buying 1/4 inch tubing. I an going make a yagi type antenna and install it in 32mm plastic duct on the roof. Does anyone know if plastic impedes the signal?
    Why a yagi? I recommend FlightAwares omnidirectional co-linear if you can afford the $40USD or so. Not sure this link works in all countries but this is the Amazon link in the USA:

FAColinearAntenna

There are also a lot of DUY videos on youtube to make one. But as far as the plastic goes, everything makes a difference but the key is to minimize the problem by making sure the plastic is as thin as possible and not full of conductive impurities. The FA retail antenna takes all that into account and works very well.

Comment

The propagation of radio signal at microwave (Giga Hertz frequency) is line of sight and is limited by curvature of earth, and obstructions caused by terrain like hills etc. It is good to know what is maximum possible achieveable.

You can easily find out maximum range for your location. Please see the method described in this thread:

What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

Comment

Another rookie error. Of course I mean a folded dipole. Making with 1/4 inch copper pipe. Exactly 137 mm end to end with split terminations in centre. Would like to install it within a 32 mm plastic pipe but unsure if the plastic reduces the signal, so the dipole will be mounted outside the pipe. Cannot afford the model you mention above. Being a pensioner who has found a new hobby I want to make as much as I can myself. Everyday is a Sunday so I need things to occupy myself.

Comment

Thank you.. will load it up

Comment

Being a pensioner who has found a new hobby I want to make as much as I can myself. Everyday is a Sunday so I need things to occupy myself.
            Here is another very easy and brilliant DIY antenna for you. It costs almost nothing. All it requires is an empty beer/coke/pepsi can (£0) and a F female barrel connector (fraction of £1) which is commonly available in shops selling tv & dish antenna, cable, and accessories.

16586196409_0eec8220c9_m.jpg

Please see this post:

3 EASY ANTTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS The main disadvantages of stock antenna supplied with DVB-T USB Dongle are: (1) It has a very short lead. Due to this, in most cases the antenna cannot be placed at an optimum location. (2) The stock antenna is not optimized for 1090 Mhz. SOLUTION FOR PROBLEM (1): The short cable
            Last edited by abcd567; 2016-08-25, 03:31.

Comment

It seems I missed a minus on the original co-ords given to FR. Put we in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. FR have corrected it and now have a range of 116 nm!!! Wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Drewfield View Post
                Fair enough!
                And it even moderated this one since it quoted the @ again
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Comparison of Two Antennas At Same Location and Connected to Identical Hardware

Physical layout of System 1 & 2

Note:
                  This photo was taken two months ago, when with Cantenna, I have used generic DVB-T (black) and no filter.
                  Recently I have replaced the Generic DVB-T by FA ProStick + FA Filter.
                  The Max Range VRS plot below is after replacing generic DVB-T with FA Filter+ProStick

System 1:
                  Cantenna (DIY, less than one £) + 4 meters RG6 coax + FA Filter + FA Pro Stick (FA DVB-T with built-in amplifier)

System 2:
                  FA 26 inch Antenna (£38.50 at Amazon.co.uk) + 1.5 meters RG6 coax + FA Filter + FA Pro Stick (FA DVB-T with built-in amplifier)

Feel a little more tempted to make and try a Cantenna?

Comment

I,ll continue with my folded dipole at this stage. The prototype one taped to the outside of the window is dragging in heaps of stuff with max range 116 nm. The outside one with identical constructio will be erected today or tomorrow.

Comment

The folded dipole is similar to the simple half-wave dipole but with the feedpoint impedance multiplied by 4, i.e. 4 x 75 = 300 Ω.

The input impedance of DVB-T is 75 Ω.

This will result in severe impedance mismatch and a very high SWR, unless some impedance matching arrangement is made.

Comment

Okay, if it fails I will need to try again. Having just finished building it I will try it.

Comment

Are you talking about the old fashioned 300 ohm to 75 ohm ballum we used to use on the old TV,s that had ribbon feeder. I can get one. If not, have you got a site that can give me the details re building one.

Comment

Are you talking about the old fashioned 300 ohm to 75 ohm ballum we used to use on the old TV,s that had ribbon feeder. I can get one. If not, have you got a site that can give me the details re building one.
                            Here are ones for TV. Normally these are very lossy, but ok for TV as TV signals are generally much stronger than ADS-B signals (TV stations within 50nm, transmitting 10kw to 100kw, aeroplanes as far as 300nm, transmitting less than 1kw).

Get the best deals for tv antenna matching transformer at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

TV 75 to 300 push on.jpg.TV 75 to 300.jpg
                            Last edited by abcd567; 2016-08-26, 23:38.

Comment

Thanks , I will order one today

Comment

The above link was for ebay international. You may find cheaper if you try ebay uk.

Find great deals on eBay for Matching transformer 75 to 300 ohm. Shop with confidence.

You can also try a store in your area which sells dish/satellite/tv antennas, cables and accesories. You may get it cheaper and will also save cost of postage.
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2016-08-27, 01:49.

Comment

Working...
                                X