Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Receiver Range Raspberry Pi 2 vs 3

Hi!
    I upgrade for some days ago from Raspberry Pi 2 to 3. The receiver range supose to decrease with 50 km. Statistics on Flightradar24 shows reduced receiver range with 15 nm and Virtual radar service range map shows aprox 50 km less than before.

I am useing Dump1090-mutability together with Fr24 feed om my RPi and use Virtual radar service on a stand alone PC.

I have a USB dongle and a indoor antenna. I have my antenna outdoor at my roof (I supose antenna can be damaged to be outside).
    RPI often have to less power. I have added a USB-Y cable with additional power between RPI and ADS-B Dongle.

Have anyone else see reduced receiver range when upgrade from RPi 2 to 3?
    Or can anything happend to my antenna/dongle?

I changed to my computer. Receiver range increased with 50 km compare to Raspberry Pi 3.

Comment

Something hogging your Pi 3. Most likely it is an undersized or poor quality power supply. What is the dc current rating of Pi3's power supply?

Comment

Agree with ABCD...

try different power supplies (2A+)

As you have not changed you dongle which is the receiver, then either you have lost processing power our more probably because the Raspberry PI 3 has built-in WiFi it will be consuming more power.

It may not be the actual current draw of the Power Supply at issue but more the noise generated as Switch Mode Power Supplies can be very noisy which will increase with load.
        """Learning is a treasure which accompanies us everywhere"""

Comment

Thanks for your support.

I have now solved my problem. I did a new reinstall and i get additional 50 km range.

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

Comment

Working...
          X