Thread: Boeing 747-400 wing questions

Passenger

Boeing 747-400 wing questions

Hi,

I am looking at the wing dimensions on the 747-400 and see that the wingspan on the -400 is lager then the classics wingspan (211 ft 5 in (64.4 m) in comparison to 195 ft 8 in (59.6 m)), except the 747-400D which has the same wingspan as the classics.

I know that it is possible to take of the winglet on the 747-400 and be left with the wingspan of the -400D.

And what is then the advantages and disadvantages of these?

And what dimensions and weight specifications do the 747-400 winglet have?

These are the measurements I need.
    64801d1467106242-747-400-winglet.png
    Aircraft enthusiast and model custom maker

Passenger
    Winglets reduce drag caused by the air above and below the wing spilling over the end of the wing and mixing. They also provide a small amount of additional lift. The main disadvantage is they add extra weight. This means a wingletted aircraft is less efficient when climbing, but more efficient in cruise. Therefore on longer flights, winglets tend to start to pay for themselves. This is why the -400D does not have winglets - they arent worthwhile on the shorter flights this aircraft is designed for.

Passenger
    Okay, thank you for this information. Do you happen to have the measurements of the 747-400 winglets that I'm looking for?
    Aircraft enthusiast and model custom maker

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    Winglets reduce drag caused by the air above and below the wing spilling over the end of the wing and mixing. They also provide a small amount of additional lift. The main disadvantage is they add extra weight. This means a wingletted aircraft is less efficient when climbing, but more efficient in cruise. Therefore on longer flights, winglets tend to start to pay for themselves. This is why the -400D does not have winglets - they arent worthwhile on the shorter flights this aircraft is designed for.
    When I was a kid - we play with paper folded aeroplane. We discovered that if we fold the ends of the wings up to form a winglet on each wing, the paper aeroplane flew further.

That was in 1959.
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.