Rain in Antenna Coupling - for information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain in Antenna Coupling - for information

Recently after 3 days of heavy rain (80+mm) I received an email from FR24 Support pointing out the drop in detection range from 250nm to 50-80nm. Monitoring over the following week showed reported ranges from 50-200nm.

Diagnosing water ingress I took my mast down and removed the self-alagamating tape. There was a slight gap (1mm) between the base of the antenna and where the tape around the knurled connector started. When I unscrewed the antenna connector several drops of water came out. I dry out and resealed the connection by wrapping tape around the base of the antenna and the connector leaving no gap. I had to open up the clamp and use a longer bolt to refit the enlarged antenna base.

My detection range over the past 3 days is back up to 250nm+ even with continued heavy rain showers. I thank you FR24 Support for the proactive monitoring of my FR24 station data and getting it contact and monitoring the results. The lesson is that proper sealing of the antenna connector is vital to good performance.
    Last edited by awgawg; 2016-07-09, 09:24.
    F-EGQS1 - FR24 Receiver - located at 57.65N 2.97W

Great support, is there any option for FR24 to monitor the feeds of regular T-feeders, I'm sure many would appreciate this.
    T-EGNJ48 Raspberry Pi3, Flightaware yellow stick/filter and Radar-Rama antenna
    Based in North Lincolnshire England

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnshire Poacher View Post
      Great support, is there any option for FR24 to monitor the feeds of regular T-feeders, I'm sure many would appreciate this.
      It is being worked on and will hopefully be available soon to T feeders as well
      --

Comment

Originally posted by Khan View Post
        It is being worked on and will hopefully be available soon to T feeders as well
        Brilliant
        T-EGNJ48 Raspberry Pi3, Flightaware yellow stick/filter and Radar-Rama antenna
        Based in North Lincolnshire England

Comment

Working...
        X