New RPI build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New RPI build

My pi 3 arrived today with a 16gb card with NOOB on it, my question is do I need NOOB or do I just download and follow the instructions found here on Flightradar24 https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

My main computer is running windoze 7, if I just follow the instructions will I be able to back up all the NOOB files on to my pc in case I need them Later?

LP
    T-EGNJ48 Raspberry Pi3, Flightaware yellow stick/filter and Radar-Rama antenna
    Based in North Lincolnshire England

Noobs is just a front end (if you plug in a monitor etc) to help you decide what to do with it. And open source so can be downloaded/updated any time with some manual work.

If you select install Raspian, it will install a linux version similar to what we are all running.

The bundled FR24 image is that, with their software preinstalled. To save you doing a little bit of extra work.

However if you have had a tinker and part way setup the box already, you only need to run the install commandline to get the FR24feed application on it now.
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Theres various threads with hints and tips around that have been found along the way. And of course my trumpet blowing all you can eat thread

Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
        Theres various threads with hints and tips around that have been found along the way. And of course my trumpet blowing all you can eat thread

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-FAQs-and-Info
        Thanks for all the advice Oblivian, I'm now just getting my head round it all.

At the moment I am feeding via a pc with DVB stick that is in my garage, I have a range of about 125nm, that is with the small aerial in the rafters of the garage. My aim is to eventually have a mast on the side of the house with a raspberry pi with dvb stick in the loft. This should keep my aerial cable run short, I am hoping to use the pi3 wireless capabilities to connect to the internet.

Comment

Noobs is just a front end (if you plug in a monitor etc) to help you decide what to do with it. And open source so can be downloaded/updated any time with some manual work.

If you select install Raspian, it will install a linux version similar to what we are all running.

The bundled FR24 image is that, with their software preinstalled. To save you doing a little bit of extra work.

However if you have had a tinker and part way setup the box already, you only need to run the install commandline to get the FR24feed application on it now.
          sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
          at least as i know raspbian is not available for rpi 3, instead jessie, but ok is very similar i just say because he ill don't find any option in noobs for raspbian installation and due the not so big sdcard better would be download and install only jessie without noobs.
          regards

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mrcarlos View Post
            at least as i know raspbian is not available for rpi 3, instead jessie, but ok is very similar i just say because he ill don't find any option in noobs for raspbian installation and due the not so big sdcard better would be download and install only jessie without noobs.
            regards

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
            Jessie is the name for the newest Raspbian.
            I'm using Jessie Lite on a RaPi B+ and it works fine.
            It can be downloade here: www.raspberrypi.org

Poul
            T-EKCH5: Raspberry Pi 4-B (Buster) + FlightAware Pro Stick Plus + FlightAware 1090MHz Bandpass Filter Dark Blue + A3-ADS-B Antenna

Comment

Well I have managed to get the pi3 up and running, its feeding in with my existing account details. I'm not sure how I managed it but I did. At the moment its sat on a shelf in my garage, once proven I will be moving it in to the loft and connect to a roof mounted antenna.

I have a question though, if I shut down the pi will FR24 feed start without any input on reboot?

LP

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnshire Poacher View Post
                Well I have managed to get the pi3 up and running, its feeding in with my existing account details. I'm not sure how I managed it but I did. At the moment its sat on a shelf in my garage, once proven I will be moving it in to the loft and connect to a roof mounted antenna.

I have a question though, if I shut down the pi will FR24 feed start without any input on reboot?

LP
                As long as its started with
                Sudo service fr24feed start

But the script should have done that.

Comment

As long as its started with
                  Sudo service fr24feed start

But the script should have done that.
                  It has, just had it turned off for 5 minute, rebooted and its receiving ok with no input from me.

Comment

Working...
                  X