Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My first collinear antenna

Flight attendant

My first collinear antenna

Hi guys.

I'm new at this forum, and new to FR24 to. I've just set up my Raspberry 2 to feed FR24 with data, and with the stock antenna that came with my USB-dongle I get signals from approx. 20-50 nm. Tonight I built an collinear antenna with five segments, unfortunately I can't test it until tomorrow cause I miss some connectors. Anyway, how much do you think I will increase my coverage with my 5 segment collinear vs my 67 mm stock antenna?

Here is a my antenna assembled
    image.jpg
    Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-03 at 06:25.

Passenger
    how do you build it? do you have pictures of it when assembling?

like abcd says in other posts, it depends about antenna location, if is correct the assembly and many more things.

just test it and tell us your increase.

Also it depends your position ( city)

Flight attendant
    No, i did not take any pictures during assembly. I followed a guide i found on Google. As i understand i cannot insert links in my first three posts on this forum, otherwise i would have pasted the link here. But just google for "Constructing an ADS-B Collinear Antenna" theres lot of guides out there.

Ill sure let you know the result after ive tested.

Passenger
    great, i will try to make one.

right now i have the original antena that cames with the usb stick, and i have cutted it as abcd says. 52mm

i can get some planes from 245 NM, is the max i have get.

works very good, dont know if a collinear antenna will work better.

Flight attendant
    Aaah. Thanks for the heads up on 52mm, i only read the first post in abcd:s thread and cut it to 67mm. But hopefully i wont need that stick anymore.

Passenger
    please view the post and image, is pretty clear on there, if you have doubts tell us.

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...0267#post80267

25164814131_839b1981bc_o.png

antenna is pretty cheap if you want another one, in my case i see them at 2 USD in amazon or ebay.

Flight attendant
    It is totally clear. My misunderstanding. I did not have the 15 mm inside counted in. Thanks again.

Skickat frn min iPhone med Tapatalk

Flight attendant
    Im testing the new antenna just now, and it seems that it picks up signals well far away than before. But is there any possibility to create such coverage charts ive seen others have done, with the Raspbery PI? The only way for me to see my coverage is on the FR24 statistics page. Anyone have an idea?
    Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-03 at 18:23.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by FR24-BB8 View Post
    Im testing the new antenna just now, and it seems that it picks up signals well far away than before. But is there any possibility to create such coverage charts ive seen others have done, with the Raspbery PI? The only way for me to see my coverage is on the FR24 statistics page. Anyone have an idea?
    well, leave it working for all day to check what happen.

can you share a image of the stats?

there are some options like enter to dump1090 local page ip.ip.ip.ip:8080 from your raspberry, there you can see the actual planes being captured.

this is configured with dump1090-mu

Flight attendant
    Yeah, i know i can look at the planes captured on the web interface on my PI. Anyway Im around 80 nm always for the last couple of hours. What are the options to dump1090 that i can tweak? Ive attached an image whith the last captures.
    Skärmklipp.JPG