Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first collinear antenna

Hi guys.

I'm new at this forum, and new to FR24 to. I've just set up my Raspberry 2 to feed FR24 with data, and with the stock antenna that came with my USB-dongle I get signals from approx. 20-50 nm. Tonight I built an collinear antenna with five segments, unfortunately I can't test it until tomorrow cause I miss some connectors. Anyway, how much do you think I will increase my coverage with my 5 segment collinear vs my 67 mm stock antenna?

Here is a my antenna assembled
    image.jpg
    Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-03, 06:25.

how do you build it? do you have pictures of it when assembling?

like abcd says in other posts, it depends about antenna location, if is correct the assembly and many more things.

just test it and tell us your increase.

Also it depends your position ( city)

Comment

No, i did not take any pictures during assembly. I followed a guide i found on Google. As i understand i cannot insert links in my first three posts on this forum, otherwise i would have pasted the link here. But just google for "Constructing an ADS-B Collinear Antenna" thereīs lot of guides out there.

Iīll sure let you know the result after iīve tested.

Comment

great, i will try to make one.

right now i have the original antena that cames with the usb stick, and i have cutted it as abcd says. 52mm

i can get some planes from 245 NM, is the max i have get.

works very good, dont know if a collinear antenna will work better.

Comment

Aaah. Thanks for the heads up on 52mm, i only read the first post in abcd:s thread and cut it to 67mm. But hopefully i wonīt need that stick anymore.

Comment

please view the post and image, is pretty clear on there, if you have doubts tell us.

Alternative receivers, antennas, amplifiers, connectors, adapters and general technical matters. No Flightradar24 issues.

25164814131_839b1981bc_o.png

antenna is pretty cheap if you want another one, in my case i see them at 2 USD in amazon or ebay.

Comment

It is totally clear. My misunderstanding. I did not have the 15 mm inside counted in. Thanks again.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Comment

Iīm testing the new antenna just now, and it seems that it picks up signals well far away than before. But is there any possibility to create such coverage charts iīve seen others have done, with the Raspbery PI? The only way for me to see my coverage is on the FR24 statistics page. Anyone have an idea?
                Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-03, 18:23.

Comment

Originally posted by FR24-BB8 View Post
                  Iīm testing the new antenna just now, and it seems that it picks up signals well far away than before. But is there any possibility to create such coverage charts iīve seen others have done, with the Raspbery PI? The only way for me to see my coverage is on the FR24 statistics page. Anyone have an idea?
                  well, leave it working for all day to check what happen.

can you share a image of the stats?

there are some options like enter to dump1090 local page ip.ip.ip.ip:8080 from your raspberry, there you can see the actual planes being captured.

this is configured with dump1090-mu

Comment

Yeah, i know i can look at the planes captured on the web interface on my PI. Anyway Iīm around 80 nm always for the last couple of hours. What are the options to dump1090 that i can tweak? Iīve attached an image whith the last captures.
                    Skärmklipp.JPG

Comment

Here is the antenna attached. Great weather btw.

FullSizeRender.jpg
                      Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-03, 19:45.

Comment

Btw, because i have posted more than three times her is the link to the guide i followed http://ei6gsb.conorfarrell.com/const...inear-antenna/.

Comment

If you want coverage to be plotted, you can do it by VRS (virtual radar server) software. This software works on windows & mac, but not on debian (Ras Pi).

Install VRS on your desktop or laptop, then set the receiver address = ip-address-of-rpi (it will be something like 192.168.2.15, you can find it in your router settings). Set the port 30003

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/download.aspx

You will have to leave the desktop+VRS running for at least 24 hrs to see a meaningful plot

Comment

My first collinear antenna

I Will try that, thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                              If you want coverage to be plotted, you can do it by VRS (virtual radar server) software. This software works on windows & mac, but not on debian (Ras Pi).

Install VRS on your desktop or laptop, then set the receiver address = ip-address-of-rpi (it will be something like 192.168.2.15, you can find it in your router settings). Set the port 30003

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/download.aspx

You will have to leave the desktop+VRS running for at least 24 hrs to see a meaningful plot
                              Great piece of software. But i canīt see the range plot on the map. Iīve already set the recievers location in options, but they just donīt show up. Any suggestions?
                              Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-04, 10:51.

Comment

Working...
                              X