Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My first collinear antenna

Flight attendant
    Here is the antenna attached. Great weather btw.

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-03 at 19:45.

Flight attendant
    Btw, because i have posted more than three times her is the link to the guide i followed http://ei6gsb.conorfarrell.com/const...inear-antenna/.

If you want coverage to be plotted, you can do it by VRS (virtual radar server) software. This software works on windows & mac, but not on debian (Ras Pi).

Install VRS on your desktop or laptop, then set the receiver address = ip-address-of-rpi (it will be something like 192.168.2.15, you can find it in your router settings). Set the port 30003

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/download.aspx

You will have to leave the desktop+VRS running for at least 24 hrs to see a meaningful plot

Flight attendant

My first collinear antenna

I Will try that, thanks a lot.

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    If you want coverage to be plotted, you can do it by VRS (virtual radar server) software. This software works on windows & mac, but not on debian (Ras Pi).

Install VRS on your desktop or laptop, then set the receiver address = ip-address-of-rpi (it will be something like 192.168.2.15, you can find it in your router settings). Set the port 30003

http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/download.aspx

You will have to leave the desktop+VRS running for at least 24 hrs to see a meaningful plot
    Great piece of software. But i cant see the range plot on the map. Ive already set the recievers location in options, but they just dont show up. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-04 at 10:51.

Flight attendant
    Forget it.. I found it.. Now i can see it.

Flight attendant
    After a day with the new antenna i can see a big improvement, from around 20-50 nm to 80-100. I have to let VFR run another 24 hrs to see the range plot with some data, because i accidently restarted VFR :/.

Passenger
    Finally i was able to install Virtual Radar on my windows server, but now i need to open a lot of ports at PI (home) and server to start getting info.

what im trying to do is to show all the antennas i have in the same map.

maybe i can do something for other users who wants to check the same with their antennas.

Flight attendant

My first collinear antenna

Good job there.
    I'm pretty satisfied with the increase of range (~25-30%) with my new antenna. I will try to tweak it more, maybe do a longer one with more sections. And I will probably try to do a ground plane antenna like this to http://www.atouk.com/wordpress/?wpdm...nna&wpdmdl=397
    Last edited by FR24-BB8; 2016-06-04 at 17:31.

Flight attendant
    Hi again.

Ive just mounted a new 8 segments collinear antenna, intended to do it 9 segments, but my pvc-pipe i had at home was to short. :/ Ill let you know if i increase my range further.