ACARS Newbie Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACARS Newbie Help

I am totally new to ACARS and would like to know what equipment I need to receive ACARS messages from Aircraft. I'm sure some replies will be quite complex and technical but would like to keep things as simple as ABC123. I'd like a simple setup if that's possible?

Thanks in advance to all ...

A USB stick or scanner and software like planeolotter, acarsd. Tune to frequency, decode noise. There is guides on rtlsdr

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I have read that a radio scanner with a discriminator output that's plugged into a PC's Line-In socket together with suitable software will work?

Comment

Yes, but often via the audio port will do just fine also if volume and squealch tuned correctly

What is ACARS? ACARS is an acronym for Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System which is a digital communications system that aircraft use to send and receive short messages to and from ground stations. Standard ACARS transmits at a frequency of 131.550 MHz, which is in the receivable range of the RTL-SDR. The RTL-SDR software radio can be used as a radio scanner for listening to these digital messages, and with the help of some decoding software, can be used to decode and display the messages. The messages you can receive will be from nearby aircraft and ground stations. Most messages will be unreadable
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Planeplotter is not free software but you can try limited time for free . project those tiny red triangle on map with nm info etc was fun .

AcarsDeco2 with cheap RTL dongle is very good choice , but you must learn how to adjust RTL ppm correction and gain control first .
          than , simple console command line scrip to send those decode data to Planeplotter .
          T-ZSSS32 F-ZSSS1 force shutdown by local regulation

Comment

Working...
          X