Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Install dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev on RPi

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Probably you did something wrong.

You can replace the files you changed with the original files.

If you followed the guide the original files will be in ~/build-dump-mut/dump1090/public_html
    I cant figure it out, where can i find those files? I searched for them but cant find them? Or am i looking at the wrong place? /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html

Quote Originally Posted by StijnB View Post
    I cant figure it out, where can i find those files? I searched for them but cant find them? Or am i looking at the wrong place? /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html
    The original files (which were downloaded from github) are in following folder
    Code:
    ~/build-dump-mut/dump1090/public_html
    The copies (which run the show) are in following folder

Code:
    /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html
    Since the files in html folder got corrupted, you will have to delete html folder, then copy public_html there and then rename it to html

Code:
    # delete folder html
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html

# Copy folder public_html to folder /usr/share/dump1090-mutabilty 
    sudo cp -R ~/build-dump-mut/dump1090/public_html  /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/

# Rename folder public_html to html
    sudo mv /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/public_html  /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html
    After above replacement of corrupted files by fresh copies of original, do not forget to clear browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Delete keys) and browser reload (Ctrl+F5 keys).
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-04-07 at 21:47.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    The original files (which were downloaded from github) are in following folder
    Code:
    ~/build-dump-mut/dump1090/public_html
    The copies (which run the show) are in following folder

Code:
    /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html
    Since the files in html folder got corrupted, you will have to delete html folder, then copy public_html there and then rename it to html

Code:
    # delete folder html
    sudo rm -rf /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html

# Copy folder public_html to folder /usr/share/dump1090-mutabilty 
    sudo cp -R ~/build-dump-mut/dump1090/public_html  /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/

# Rename folder public_html to html
    sudo mv /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/public_html  /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html
    After above replacement of corrupted files by fresh copies of original, do not forget to clear browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Delete keys) and browser reload (Ctrl+F5 keys).
    I got it fixed, thanks for your time!

Passenger
    I've got an old Raspberry Pi 1 B. Is it fast enough for dump1090-mutability?

I once had it running as an FR24 feeder but perfomance - in terms of FR24 score - was poor. Does it make sense to try it for dump1090-mutability?

First officer
    FR24 score doesn't have anything to do with how fast the RPi processor is unless it is completely insufficient.

I'm not sure if it will be fast enough for FR24 MLAT but to run just dump1090 it shouldn't be a problem, also you should be able to feed fr24 with it (maybe no MLAT)

Low score was much more likely due to uptime / terrain limiting range / antenna + cable + dongle limiting range.

Passenger
    Thanks for encouraging me :-)

For FR24 feeding response time surely matters. I used to run a feeder near a small local airport a couple of years ago. My impression was that my ID code was only assigned to planes immediatly after takeoff and only as long as I was the only feeder for that flight. At flight levels above 2000 ft. faster responding receivers would take over. I don't have the runway in line of sight so I could only see my ID for about 60 seconds, at flight altitudes between 500 and 2000 ft.

I don't remember how the FR24 stats and score were calculated but I was kicked out for poor performance.

I got a Raspberry Pi 2 which is slightly faster. I gave it to a friend living closer to the airport. We're planning an outdoor station on his roof, wifi-tethered to a mobile phone. The phone has a free 200MB/month plan for G2, G3 or G4 data. Once the 200MB volume is exhausted there is a fallback to 64kBps. Would that still be sufficient for FR24 feeds?

edit
    I must mention now that a major airline announced partial withdrawal and another one has filed for bankrupcy there won't be that much traffic left at this airport. I'm expecting no more than 30 - 50 take offs per day.
    Last edited by Space Pilot; 2019-04-09 at 10:42.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Pilot View Post
    I don't remember how the FR24 stats and score were calculated but I was kicked out for poor performance.
    What do you mean with "kicked out"?
    If you don't use really strange settings for dump1090 i would be curious how you could generate bad data.
    (Did you use other feeders? There can be interactions with MLAT results from other feed services, they must not be channeled back into dump1090 1.14)

You probably mean 64 kbps not kBps, but yes it should be sufficient.
    Just disable MLAT if you want to be on the safe side, it uses quite a bit more data than only feeding ADSB positions.

Passenger
    Yes, kbps of course, sorry.

If I were to start from scratch again, what computer could I use for an FR24 ADS-B / MLAT feeder? Raspi Zero W? Orange Pi Zero? Or better buy something more powerful?

First officer
    I think the Orange Pi Zero is actually quite powerful so that would work but it doesn't work with Raspbian but needs another image i believe, still the feeder install script should still work.
    I personally wouldn't use the Raspi Zero, it's just very limited in regards to CPU.

Why don't you just try the Raspberry Pi you currently have?
    Install a current Raspbian Stretch Lite without a graphical interface.

If there isn't too much traffic around then you won't need that much CPU even for MLAT.
    (Maybe try first without MLAT and check CPU usage)

Passenger
    Hello everybody! I would just like to say Thank You to abcd567! I have followed the initial guide of this thread and I am so happy, I now have a working dump1090-mutability AND FR24 feed! I have just completed installation & config and during installation of FR24 the running dump1090 was recognized;
    We have detected that you already have a dump1090 instance running. We can therefore automatically configure the FR24 feeder to use the existing receiver configuration, or you can manually configure all the parameters.
    I chose autoconfigure and voila - it works! My DVB-dongle was configured as avr-tcp with no extra process arguments that I can see in 8754 settings.
    Now I will try to add RB24 or FA, maybe OpenSky, any of which can give me a good view of "my" station. A better antenna will arrive next week, and also the cheap RB24 FlightStick is ordered.

Thanks!

/Hans
    Last edited by hansp; 2019-04-14 at 14:48.