Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pie + Network question

First officer
    Nearly all routers these days have inbuilt support for Dynamic DNS set this up on your remote station's router and port forward (in the remote router) the port 30003 (which ever one is you need to connect to) to the ip address of the pi (best to give it a reserved IP from the DHCP).

Then on you computer you simply add a receiver to VRS with the Dynamic DNS name rather than ip and it will work as if it was a local resource.
    T-EGLF8

Dyndns is not free service.
    For official support use Contact Form

Passenger
    I see there are free Dynamic DNS services. I will need to research it a bit, but I think that's the solution. FR24feed will output to a port which I will forward on the router, and I will set a new receiver in VRS for this.
    I think it's the easiest method.
    I'm just not comfortable with allowing SSH access over the internet as well, but with a very strong password it might be OK.

BTW, if the DNS yearly fee is not to high, I'm willing to consider that option as well, if that kind of service is better then a free service.

I've already ordered everything I need. Hoping it will arrive soon. Then I will need to brush my Linux skills!

On my...let's say few receivers...I use mm2 with --outconnect option. works fine. No dyndns, no ports no nothing...

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by adi4x View Post
    I'm just not comfortable with allowing SSH access over the internet as well, but with a very strong password it might be OK.
    You know, it's just a Pi. Potential hackers won't get into your bank account with it, not even in your (not existing) mailbox there.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Amper View Post
    On my...let's say few receivers...I use mm2 with --outconnect option. works fine. No dyndns, no ports no nothing...
    Amper, could you please explain? Are you talking about the same scenario where the receivers are on different networks, and you want to see the combined data in one place?
    As far as I understand what --outconnect does, you would need to use a host name to send the data to, and that means that host machine would still need to use a dynamic DNS solution, unless it has a fixed external IP.

Quote Originally Posted by adi4x View Post
    Amper, could you please explain? Are you talking about the same scenario where the receivers are on different networks, and you want to see the combined data in one place?
    As far as I understand what --outconnect does, you would need to use a host name to send the data to, and that means that host machine would still need to use a dynamic DNS solution, unless it has a fixed external IP.
    Sorry for late reply.

Correct. You need to use one dns service. I use changeip on host. Rpi sends data with --OutConnect on mm2. So wherever you plug Rpi it starts sending data.
    Dyndns (most routers support) is not free service. Some ruters don't support any. So to avoid setting up scripts, fixed LAN IP and more important opening ports on someone else router I use mm2.

Even if internet provider changes remote router due to malfunction or something, my rpi sends data with no need for setting up new router.

To set up one dns (at my home) i have no problem, but if you place rpi on remote location...

Passenger
    Thanks Amper. Your setup makes sense. I think that because I need to access the pi remotely I will need to set up the DNS on its side.
    Anyway, thanks for your help. What I need to do is clear in my mind. The relevant hardware is already on its way, and hopefully I will share my success story soon (and if not, I will bug you again ;-)

Adi

No problem. Best thing to do is to try all options. That way you learn a lot.

I used SSH...VPN for remote access but then...figured out there is no need for that. All update script are in rpi. If any problem occurs. Simple message to friend to unplug -> plug power adapter solves everything

If not...there is big chance that remote access won't either

Only need to access box was when FR24feed had update problem.....solved via Team viewer

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by Amper View Post
    Dyndns is not free service.
    I use Duck DNS, it's free and works perfectly to remotely access my FR24 RPi.
    T-LFSN4

Check your rank from FR24 feeder stats at https://jollain.com/FR24/stats.php