Raspberry Pie + Network question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amper View Post
    On my...let's say few receivers...I use mm2 with --outconnect option. works fine. No dyndns, no ports no nothing...
    Amper, could you please explain? Are you talking about the same scenario where the receivers are on different networks, and you want to see the combined data in one place?
    As far as I understand what --outconnect does, you would need to use a host name to send the data to, and that means that host machine would still need to use a dynamic DNS solution, unless it has a fixed external IP.

Comment

Originally posted by adi4x View Post
      Amper, could you please explain? Are you talking about the same scenario where the receivers are on different networks, and you want to see the combined data in one place?
      As far as I understand what --outconnect does, you would need to use a host name to send the data to, and that means that host machine would still need to use a dynamic DNS solution, unless it has a fixed external IP.
      Sorry for late reply.

Correct. You need to use one dns service. I use changeip on host. Rpi sends data with --OutConnect on mm2. So wherever you plug Rpi it starts sending data.
      Dyndns (most routers support) is not free service. Some ruters don't support any. So to avoid setting up scripts, fixed LAN IP and more important opening ports on someone else router I use mm2.

Even if internet provider changes remote router due to malfunction or something, my rpi sends data with no need for setting up new router.

To set up one dns (at my home) i have no problem, but if you place rpi on remote location...
      For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Thanks Amper. Your setup makes sense. I think that because I need to access the pi remotely I will need to set up the DNS on its side.
        Anyway, thanks for your help. What I need to do is clear in my mind. The relevant hardware is already on its way, and hopefully I will share my success story soon (and if not, I will bug you again ;-)

Adi

Comment

No problem. Best thing to do is to try all options. That way you learn a lot.

I used SSH...VPN for remote access but then...figured out there is no need for that. All update script are in rpi. If any problem occurs. Simple message to friend to unplug -> plug power adapter solves everything

If not...there is big chance that remote access won't either

Only need to access box was when FR24feed had update problem.....solved via Team viewer

Comment

Originally posted by Amper View Post
            Dyndns is not free service.
            I use Duck DNS, it's free and works perfectly to remotely access my FR24 RPi.
            T-LFSN4

Check your rank from FR24 feeder stats at https://jollain.com/FR24/stats.php

Comment

Tnx Patrick, didn't know about that one. I'll give it a try.

Comment

OK, I'm so stuck now that it's very annoying :-(
                I got the Pi installed and working at the remote location, and it's working correctly and feeding, but the port forwarding in the router doesn't work. No SSH, no 30002, not even 8080.
                So I want to do the opposite, and use mm2 to push the data to my machine.
                However, I don't understand how to install it. I downloaded it to the Pi. I unzipped the tgz. when I run ls I see modemixer2 in green. It's not a command. If I try to run it it doesn't run. I understand that I need to install it somehow but I don't know how.
                Can anyone help?

Comment

OK, I understand why I couldn't run it. Anyway, if you could help me with the following:
                  1) how can I get it to send data to my VRS at home.
                  2) how to run it at startup.

Thanks!

Comment

no need to install mm2

just upload modesmixer2 file and run command

for startup: in etc folder find file rc.local and copy command that you use to run mm2.

in command add
                    Code:
                    --outConnect avrmlat:your.dyndns.ofvrs:12346
                    So
                    --outConnect is command to send data to vrs
                    avrmlat is format, you can change it as you need (you have readme file in package)
                    your.dyndns.ofvrs - dyndns or IP of VRS
                    :12346 port of vrs push enabled receiver - you choose one but you have to open it on vrs side.
                    Last edited by Amper; 2016-04-15, 23:36.

Comment

Amper, I got it working last night, before I saw your answer. I used avr as type. What's the difference between avr and avrmlat?
                      Is it possible to see the MLAT planes on VRS? I understood that fr24 doesn't feed you back the MLAT planes.
                      If it is possible, do I need to add any parameter to dump1090 in order to allow this?

Just to update that I tried avrmlat, and VRS didn't recognize the data received.
                      Last edited by adi4x; 2016-04-17, 15:12.

Comment

Working...
                      X