My Cantennae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Cantennae

Ive made my cantennae today using a tin of beans. Just waiting for a pigtail cable to connect my f-connector to the rtlsdr.
    It will be hung from the wood apex of the inside of my loft.
    antennae full.jpgantennae 1.jpgcan.jpginside.jpg

Looks great! Waiting for you to get the pigtail and post your trial run results.

Put some tape around the rim of the tin. Cutting the tin leaves a sharp edge. The tape over sharp edge will save you from cuts on your hand while hadling it.

Comment

I used an angle grinder to cut the tin then used a metal file to take off the sharp edge.
      Id like to try a metal mixing bowl they are only £1 from asda but would the over size effect the receive gain

Comment

In case of antennas, practical experience often defeats the theory. No harm in trying a mixer bowl. Either you will get a better antenna, or loose £1.

Comment

The plural for cantenna should be cantennas.
          I strongly doubt, that this is a Latin word ;-)))

Comment

Ok i received both a pigtail and a connector to convert the f-connector. I decided to try the single connector.
            Im in Nottingham England.
            I was receiving about 120miles distance on virtual radar and now im getting 200miles plus North East in the North Sea. 160miles East towards the Netherlands. 160miles South East to Dover. 120miles to North West towards Glasgow.
            Not getting much to west and south west and south at minute.
            How are people plotting where they are receiving aircraft>??
            my stats for last couple of days.
            date Radar Rank User Radar count Sum score Max range Avg range Up time Country
            01/05/2016 EGCN30 3428 AndyBurton 1 82899 160 60 624 / 720 United Kingdom
            02/04/2016 EGCN30 3422 AndyBurton 1 82967 160 60 624 / 720 United Kingdom

I will check tomorrow to see if i jump up the ladder after fitting cantenna

Comment

Originally posted by bruton View Post
              How are people plotting where they are receiving aircraft>??
              If you enter your receiver location in the tools/options of Virtual Radar and activate the receiver range in the menü of the VR web page, you will get the plot overlay onto your map.

Comment

Great coverage with antenna in loft.
                You will get much bigger coverage like others, when you take your antenna outdoor, at a height above the roof line.

Comment

Looks great,Great coverage with antenna in loft.

Comment

Originally posted by RIN67630 View Post
                    If you enter your receiver location in the tools/options of Virtual Radar and activate the receiver range in the menü of the VR web page, you will get the plot overlay onto your map.
                    I cant find activate the receiver range in the menü of the VR web page

Comment

it is the fourth line of the menu It has a submenu and you indicate first all altitudes or something like that (I have a German menu here)

Comment

I can see settings to change the colours but no option to turn the range on

Comment

You are at the wrong place.
                          Not the "options" from the menu, but three lines below the "receiver range", just above "shortcuts".

Comment

temp.png

this is my menu

Comment

I found it now I had to set the location in the receiver i thought id done that.
                              Its now plotting for me. That took some doing as the longitude and latitude is different to what i know.
                              Last edited by bruton; 2016-04-03, 19:49.

Comment

Working...
                              X