Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MLAT Driving me mad

Passenger
    That's very interesting! I am certainly running the Jessie raspbian build.

What kernel version are you using in wheezy?

I am running Linux raspberrypi 4.1.19-v7+ #858 SMP Tue Mar 15 15:56:00 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux on Raspbian Jessie

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by spudd View Post
    How did you install yours?
    I ran the setup script on the website here but when running service fr24feed status don't get anything about MLAT
    I've just had a look and a play and it seems it's a bug with fr24feed on Jessie.

Raspbian Wheezy uses an older method to start and stop services and daemons, and that lets the fr24feed scripts run those diagnostics when "sudo service fr24feed status" is run. However, Raspbian Jessie uses a new system called "systemd" to do it, which is faster and more efficient but it's different enough that it can sometimes tickle bugs.

SystemD intercepts the "status" request and instead reports detailed information on the status of the service (the program/daemon only) all by itself, unfortunately this means the fr24feed software doesn't get a chance to add its extra information.

The solution is for fr24feed to *not* use "status" as a hook for getting detailed information about the fr24feed service and instead use another term (e.g. "diagnostics".) Alternatively, in order to preserve backwards compatibility with any software and information out there for running on Wheezy, it could trigger on either "diagnostics"/"status" on Wheezy and or only "diagnostics" on Jessie by changing just two lines.

Here's a patch that'll do it (also in the file attached)-

--- /etc/init.d/fr24feed 2016-03-04 15:17:12.000000000 +0000
    +++ /etc/init.d/fr24feed.new 2016-04-01 22:03:27.593210225 +0100
    @@ -157,7 +157,7 @@
    stop)
    stop
    ;;
    - status)
    + status|diagnostics)
    status
    ;;
    restart)
    @@ -170,7 +170,7 @@
    status_of_proc $DAEMON "fr24feed server"
    ;;
    *)
    - echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
    + echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status|diagnostics}"
    exit 2
    ;;
    esac

I'll report this to the people behind fr24feed, but to make such a change now, download the attached textfile to your pi and run the following command on it-

sudo patch < fr24feed-patch-jessie.txt

After doing this, issue-

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Then to display the diagnostics on Jessie you can use-

sudo service fr24feed diagnostics

Hope that helps?

Warm Regards
    Julie
    x

PS Presumably because I'm a newbie here, a message told me this attachment will disappear if not downloaded/viewed within an hour of posting?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by geekycow; 2016-04-01 at 21:38. Reason: I was wrong, it IS a bug with fr24feed - patch created

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by awitty View Post
    Thanks, but my Mlat status in the log file always reads;

2016-03-29 16:47:05 | [mlat][i]Stats 0/0

even thought "Service fr24feed status" reports;

[ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
    [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2016-03-29 16:45:50.
    [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
    [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-EGXU10.
    [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC: 24.
    [ ok ] Receiver: connected (8461 MSGS/0 SYNC).
    [ ok ] FR24 MLAT: ok [UDP].
    [ ok ] FR24 MLAT AC seen: 22.

So i don't think it's working correctly.

Incidentally, when was it announced that MLAT for Pi feeders was switched back on ?
    Can I ask a question? Given that MLAT was working for you (but not us) do you know what MLAT server you're connected to? It's in the logs (/var/log/fr24feed.) We've not had any luck with the server we've been assigned to (mlat-1.fr24.com) so I'd be interested to know if anyone having even partial success with MLAT is also connected to that server or not.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by geekycow View Post
    I've just had a look and a play and it seems it's a bug with fr24feed on Jessie.

Raspbian Wheezy uses an older method to start and stop services and daemons, and that lets the fr24feed scripts run those diagnostics when "sudo service fr24feed status" is run. However, Raspbian Jessie uses a new system called "systemd" to do it, which is faster and more efficient but it's different enough that it can sometimes tickle bugs.

SystemD intercepts the "status" request and instead reports detailed information on the status of the service (the program/daemon only) all by itself, unfortunately this means the fr24feed software doesn't get a chance to add its extra information.

The solution is for fr24feed to *not* use "status" as a hook for getting detailed information about the fr24feed service and instead use another term (e.g. "diagnostics".) Alternatively, in order to preserve backwards compatibility with any software and information out there for running on Wheezy, it could trigger on either "diagnostics"/"status" on Wheezy and or only "diagnostics" on Jessie by changing just two lines.

Here's a patch that'll do it (also in the file attached)-

--- /etc/init.d/fr24feed 2016-03-04 15:17:12.000000000 +0000
    +++ /etc/init.d/fr24feed.new 2016-04-01 22:03:27.593210225 +0100
    @@ -157,7 +157,7 @@
    stop)
    stop
    ;;
    - status)
    + status|diagnostics)
    status
    ;;
    restart)
    @@ -170,7 +170,7 @@
    status_of_proc $DAEMON "fr24feed server"
    ;;
    *)
    - echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
    + echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status|diagnostics}"
    exit 2
    ;;
    esac

I'll report this to the people behind fr24feed, but to make such a change now, download the attached textfile to your pi and run the following command on it-

sudo patch < fr24feed-patch-jessie.txt

After doing this, issue-

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Then to display the diagnostics on Jessie you can use-

Hope that helps?

Warm Regards
    Julie
    x

PS Presumably because I'm a newbie here, a message told me this attachment will disappear if not downloaded/viewed within an hour of posting?
    Download worked for me.
    That worked like a charm. I now receive the following diagnostic info from fr24feed

[ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
    [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2016-04-02 13:10:33.
    [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
    [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-E*****.
    [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC: 27.
    [ ok ] Receiver: connected (2578 MSGS/0 SYNC).
    [FAIL] FR24 MLAT: not running ... failed!

Passenger
    Regarding the MLAT server question, it appears there are 5. My post yesterday with them in appears to have been deleted.

Super Moderator
    Negative. But it is getting Confusing with you guys jumping between 3 diff ones for same thing http://forum.flightradar24.com/showthread.php?p=77661

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    Negative. But it is getting Confusing with you guys jumping between 3 diff ones for same thing http://forum.flightradar24.com/showthread.php?p=77661

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Agreed. We ought to consolidate this down to one Thread. I'll add all the info to the main thread.

Main thread here:
    http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...-running/page5
    Last edited by spudd; 2016-04-02 at 22:14.