MLAT Support for Windows FR24 Feeding Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLAT Support for Windows FR24 Feeding Software

I have been feeding data to Flightradar24 using the feeding software for Windows. I would like my receiver to participate in MLAT calculations, similar to the capabilities of the Raspberry Pi. Is there going to be an update for the Flightradar24 Windows client that will have this capability?
    Last edited by turbo825; 2016-03-27, 19:02.

Eventually. But not yet

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Okay, thank you

Comment

Somthing new in windows, mlat data?

Comment

I can't see windows being an effective MLAT uploader. Mlat (as I understand) requires timing down to nanoseconds, BUT windows cannot do this, it's multitasking means that it will not be able to record 'time of arrival' with sufficient accuracy to be of any use. - If using pi the mlat seems to only run when ONLY the fr24 feeder is active, even a right click on the screen or rapid motion of the mouse stops MLAT temporarily. SInce radio haves travel at arund 300metres/microsecond, and Windows updates around every 14uSec? - positoning accuracy will be +- 2 miles plus/minus a wagon full of other potential errors. SOme tests I ran suggests PI can supply timings that allow positioning to be calculated to +/- 6 metres. - So use a PI for MLAT!

Comment

Originally posted by Willtco View Post
            I can't see windows being an effective MLAT uploader. Mlat (as I understand) requires timing down to nanoseconds, BUT windows cannot do this, it's multitasking means that it will not be able to record 'time of arrival' with sufficient accuracy to be of any use. - If using pi the mlat seems to only run when ONLY the fr24 feeder is active, even a right click on the screen or rapid motion of the mouse stops MLAT temporarily. SInce radio haves travel at arund 300metres/microsecond, and Windows updates around every 14uSec? - positoning accuracy will be +- 2 miles plus/minus a wagon full of other potential errors. SOme tests I ran suggests PI can supply timings that allow positioning to be calculated to +/- 6 metres. - So use a PI for MLAT!
            Totally incorrect. Timing can be very accurate under Windows, just as long as you don't let Microsoft control the time. I use some very time critical programs, at least to the accuracy required for MLAT with no problems. I get the feeling that its an application issue that both FR and FA have put into the too hard box for a while now.

Comment

I'll trust my 35 years in the space and avionics industry, close relationship with improvements in IFF SSR, - If you are anywhere near Hampshire England, I will show you just how 'accurate' windows is against Unix, a bit like a laser ranging system against a wooden school ruler I'd be very interested to know what you compared WIndows timings to, I use a 2Ghz Synthesized Gignal Generator and a Yokogawa DL1740 Oscilloscope. this shows a 14uS jitter, with just the sytem powered up and in idle mode, the Pi jitter on the same test is less than 2.2nSec. - Or you could read it from Microsoft's own time team at blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askds/2007/10/23/high-accuracy-w32time-requirements/.
              Last edited by Willtco; 2018-07-04, 12:40.

Comment

Blah, blah, blah. Bollocks. I'm talking real world.

Comment

I think you got those three sentences back to front, never mind, if it works for you that's fine.

Comment

Working...
                  X