PI 3 Raspberry GUI failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0.o

If you have a rasbperry pi, and a DVB-T dongle. And want to feed FR24. You follow the guide. You register, you get a code. Your data is uploaded.

If you only want to see traffic locally using one, you visit such a place as rtlsdr.com and look at the how-to to get local traffic guide using DVBT stick.

In either case it's not magically included in the FR24feed bundle without some knowledge to enable the functions. And the Pi is not needed to be in GUI mode to do so. All configuration is done using commandline and the web interface it starts.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

And acually. We've jumped from can't get a gui running, to wanting something tottally separate from what the images and instructions provide.

You better take a step back. And Fully explain WHAT you are attempting to achieve (since we have now jumped from NEED a gui) and provide screenshots or examples of what you are attempting to replicate.

Because from all this text, all we are picking up so far is you are a first time linux user not comfortable with console. That is trying to install something that may not be at all possible or related to Flightradar24 at all (but we can't tell yet).
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

The FR24 install includes and needs the DUMP1090 software. That later makes the analysis of the signal and provides a feeed that is used by FR24 software to forward to their own servers.
        If during the installation, once asked for arguments for DUMP 1090, you mention --net, DUMP1090 will provide -fully locally- a server at the standard HTTP port 8080 that shows the planes on a nice map.
        you may call this map using any web browser on your home network under http://raspberrypi:8080

Regards

Comment

Oblivian;

The procedure I was working from is at the link https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

That link seems to be saying that that approach encapsulates both sharing data & tracking of local flights (as highlighted)

"Your receiver will run Flightradar24's Pi24 client to track flights within 200-400 miles and will automatically share data with Flightradar24. You can track flights directly off your Pi24 device or via Flightradar24.com."

What is more surprising is that when one tries to register one is faced with subscription plans. If I am using my own hardware to ONLY share data with flightradar.com, with no local tracking, why are they asking for me to subscribe to a paid plan, since the data feed is only in their interests.

My original intention was to only share 24hr data and the raspberry seemed the least inconvenient way to do that with a router connection that allowed me use my main computer, without disturbing either. That's why I adopted the build-your-own approach at the first mentioned link. Now it has evolved into wanting local tracking (& sharing data only if that is essential to getting quality software).

I don't fully comprehend what you are saying when you say;
          "And acually. We've jumped from can't get a gui running, to wanting something tottally separate from what the images and instructions provide."
          Well, in that regard I think it is really a natural progression from where I started. Now that I have the Raspbian working in GUI mode, with a console terminal I don't understand why I should need to start over from scratch......do you?. And where do I find the instructions & images that take me from start to finish for setting up tracking (& sharing if necessary). Are they in one place or are they fragmented instructions.

As to your remark "all we are picking up so far is you are a first time linux user not comfortable with console".

I have tinkered with linux over many, many years but I don't have the time left to become a command-line guru & really I don't know that I really need to do that to achieve what I want to do here. In that sense you are right. I find it rather arcane and I don't know that that shortcoming should exclude me from wanting to achieve in this area. I see this as an issue generally with Linux, since many instructions to me are often vague, being written as they are mainly by core users, mainly for core users.

RIN67630 in his reply comes very close to articulating what is needed, including dump1090, but it seems one has to look in so many nooks & cranies to find exactly what is necessary to achieve a given purpose (Oh for the days when procedural flow charts were the order of the day)

At the end of the day I will be happy to just have local tracking. I must say that the need to revert to rtlsdr.com comes as a surprise, particularly given what I see at https://www.flightradar24.com/-34.93,138.6/7

Anyhow, what are the essential differences between Flightradar & RTLSDR software. I do note that there are quite a few free tracking softwares on their site. Am I correct in saying their software is consumer orientated, whereas Flightradar software is more in the professional realm. In any event would you care to nominate a quality tracking software that would be suitable for use with my existing software (Rasbian Jessie full) & hardware (Raspberry Pi3) and directions to instructions for its implementation. I currently use one of my RTL-SDR DVT-B dongles for SD radio.

Thank you for any further help you can provide.
          Last edited by dalpets; 2016-03-30, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by dalpets View Post
            Oblivian;

The procedure I was working from is at the link https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own
            Herin lies the issue.

The supplied package in that section has the OS and application bundled. No need for noobs, or the initial error of installing, no Gui - You apply to a card. Answer some questions. Job done.

Wheras for some reason this thread has stretched from being mid way through some other sequence of installing 2 different linux variants (not earlier disclosed and some grumpyness posts toward others attempting to help on limited information) and now jumped to wanting a different aspect of FR24 running which they offer after you have a working feed being supplied, as a feature on the website after the automated procedure bundled in said package is complete.

The viewing of your own data referred to varies -
            a text list within the web config page of the feeder app (very basic)
            Viewing radarview (via the webpage has ability to look at your local source to visually display) - requires a subscription (or feed running) before available
            Dump1090 built in service (not enabled by default)

That link seems to be saying that that approach encapsulates both sharing data & tracking of local flights (as highlighted)

"Your receiver will run Flightradar24's Pi24 client to track flights within 200-400 miles and will automatically share data with Flightradar24. You can track flights directly off your Pi24 device or via Flightradar24.com."
            Correct. Just the same way the Piaware image does if you stamp that to a card. Both are commercial entities interested in broadening their coverage. Their first protocol, increase coverage. The bonus, additional features after the fact.
            Install the bundle of either and all of a sudden you have additional features available once the software is running

However if you are already running an OS and don't want to change (like indicated earlier) you immediately add another bunch of steps as they assume you have done a part of the leg work and are familiar with what is now needed to complete manual install

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

(and again, Piaware has a separate 'aready running linux' section too)

Both of these have included an additional app required to grab the data from the stick - Dump1090

This can also be had standalone, to run locally and not feed either network.
            But.. no Gui. Its all commandline with options galore

Get that installed with one of the 3 methods and all of a sudden you have MORE options available as part of that program (outlined by myself and RIN67630)

What is more surprising is that when one tries to register one is faced with subscription plans. If I am using my own hardware to ONLY share data with flightradar.com, with no local tracking, why are they asking for me to subscribe to a paid plan, since the data feed is only in their interests.
            Again, without screenshots or more detail, we don't know if you are facing this on the website (different to Pi feeding) or during the Pi setup wizard. However the last time I tried the install wizard, no such plans were presented.
            http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post74852 you do however have to supply email and other details to tie the data to yourself. On completion, voila! plan enabled, log in and additional features available.

My original intention was to only share 24hr data and the raspberry seemed the least inconvenient way to do that with a router connection that allowed me use my main computer, without disturbing either. That's why I adopted the build-your-own approach at the first mentioned link. Now it has evolved into wanting local tracking (& sharing data only if that is essential to getting quality software).

I don't fully comprehend what you are saying when you say;
            "And acually. We've jumped from can't get a gui running, to wanting something tottally separate from what the images and instructions provide."
            Well, in that regard I think it is really a natural progression from where I started. Now that I have the Raspbian working in GUI mode, with a console terminal I don't understand why I should need to start over from scratch......do you?. And where do I find the instructions & images that take me from start to finish for setting up tracking (& sharing if necessary). Are they in one place or are they fragmented instructions.
            You have to finish what you started, to be able to move on - and from the first and subsequent posts that was simply getting a OS Gui running (with limited info as to skill level or current versions)

And well, given none of us are sure what state of linux install, fr24feed install point, nor had any supporting screenshots or pasted data to tell us otherwise since the first post. We can only suggest starting afresh is probably a good idea if you are not familiar of how to get out of the hole you are currently in and to get everyone whos reading along to be on the same page. In short, Unless you have successfully installed the fr24feed bundle, signed up, and uploading. What you want to achieve isn't totally possible. Yet.

As to your remark "all we are picking up so far is you are a first time linux user not comfortable with console".

I have tinkered with linux over many, many years but I don't have the time left to become a command-line guru & really I don't know that I really need to do that to achieve what I want to do here. In that sense you are right. I find it rather arcane and I don't know that that shortcoming should exclude me from wanting to achieve in this area. I see this as an issue generally with Linux, since many instructions to me are often vague, being written as they are mainly by core users, mainly for core users.

RIN67630 in his reply comes very close to articulating what is needed, including dump1090, but it seems one has to look in so many nooks & cranies to find exactly what is necessary to achieve a given purpose (Oh for the days when procedural flow charts were the order of the day)
            Not if the included bundle and commands provided are followed. The install/wizard is automated by running 1 script line. (or referencing the FAQ and install guide thread stickied here) Once you go outside that, some knowledge of console, SSH, and commands are unavoidable.

At the end of the day I will be happy to just have local tracking. I must say that the need to revert to rtlsdr.com comes as a surprise, particularly given what I see at https://www.flightradar24.com/-34.93,138.6/7

Anyhow, what are the essential differences between Flightradar & RTLSDR software. I do note that there are quite a few free tracking softwares on their site. Am I correct in saying their software is consumer orientated, whereas Flightradar software is more in the professional realm. In any event would you care to nominate a quality tracking software that would be suitable for use with my existing software (Rasbian Jessie full) & hardware (Raspberry Pi3) and directions to instructions for its implementation. I currently use one of my RTL-SDR DVT-B dongles for SD radio.

Thank you for any further help you can provide.
            No, either tracking service provide the 1 stop wonders. For their own service.
            However once either is installed the data is coming from the stick via the same method. What is done with it can be endless. But all rely on the CORE software installed (as I pointed out earlier, Dump1090) and commandline (and web based) configuring.

But as soon as you vary off the explicits and want a Gui, it won't work following the provided easy guides and you must do some research on advanced how-tos

Conveniently I spent a hell of a lot of time grouping such helpful tips and information previously.
            Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

And there are various other threads on using Virtualradar server, Dump1090 web view and separately Radarview which is bundled with premium accounts.

Essentially we're all human. We need information to know what to help with (and not the lip that followed)
            I suspect if you had said in the first post 'Hi, Im new, I'm not familiar with commandline but would perfer a linux Gui and install FR24feed there - I currently have x version of linux installed, how to I load the gui as its not working?. And Oh, and what does "view your own local data mean" on the guide page'

I'm fairly sure you would have been straight up told the answers you have been seeking thus far.

Now if you can copy and paste some of the screens, and take screenshots of Where you are encountering such signup to premium screens. And list what you have installed so far and how. We might get an idea on where you are at

Comment

@oblivian:

The FR24 website has changed.
              I also was irritated when I clicked on something like "get business for free as a feeder". The first think that happened was to throw me back to basic for a day. I found that pretty uncool.

Comment

Originally posted by RIN67630 View Post
                @oblivian:

The FR24 website has changed.
                I also was irritated when I clicked on something like "get business for free as a feeder". The first think that happened was to throw me back to basic for a day. I found that pretty uncool.
                Ahh yes, but you are clicking the website. And identifying as such. Nowhere is it mentioned that is where the described message is originating. Be it page, or during a Pi setup which the thread appears about thus far.

I think we're all aware they are still ironing out bugs. But it doesn't detract from the goal vs status attempting to be identified or any example links etc

Comment

.. which of course will also help to be fixed if there is an issue. But can't tell so far

Comment

Oblivian

The first & third images are from https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

and we get

2016-03-31-141840_1680x1050_scrot.jpg

2016-03-31-144020_1680x1050_scrot.jpg

2016-03-31-145500_1680x1050_scrot.jpg

As mentioned earlier, the 2nd image, relating to subscriptions, appeared as part of the wget console process. They are not what I expected and did not want.
                    I'll come back shortly when I have digested your last post. Thanks.
                    Last edited by dalpets; 2016-03-31, 15:19.

Comment

If you have successfully installed fr24feed via means of auto install script given earlier It will ask to create a sharing account as part of the setup steps. Log in with these given details while it is running with the very same details. It will be limited if the software cannot be detected until made online.

If you have not yet confirmed via the various help threads that the sign up process had been completed. You are dead in the water

Hence my links to the other threads to start fault finding.

You have likely interrupted something and are no longer on a stable path the guide gives. Be it the feed software not running (I dont see a console window with the status or config page up there...) Or sign up not complete.

The get online page is doing a basic network scan for trace of the software broadcasting. If it's not running out has any issue it won't find it.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll note the 4 instructions above suggest you insert any turn on.. I'm assuming since you have not clarified and asked about where the gui is and for how to proceed that the install you put on was not the supplied image via the steps above that? In which case it won't work. That image is preconfigured to work with the guide

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Comment

Oblivian;

Thank you for your detailed reply ( Unfortunately I can't say I understood much of it). It sent my head spinning!. I'm probably to blame for my piecemeal questions.

I came across these threads in the forums and their simple, logical approach appealed to me and is what I have been after all along. Do you think I can adopt either of these approaches to install flightradar onto Noobs? Would their procedures need updating in any respect?

All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Thanks
                          Last edited by dalpets; 2016-04-06, 17:16.

Comment

Both are way more indepth than they need to be. Aimed at advanced use for all 3 to be setup standalone 1 by 1. The first one is now over a year old. And the app version listed no longer available. So that will cause issues.

The latest approved method for Pi is the install script. It will download the current version for the OS it detects, and install. Then setup automatically.

That is:
                            sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

Thats all thats needed.
                            If it doesnt work or present you with a signup questionaire. Something has gone wrong. Then the only other method is manual install.
                            Essentially ABCDs thread was a laid out how-to before the install wizard was designed and released. Some is relevant, some no longer.

Manual method on standard linux requires even more work. As the files are listed as a standalone archive.

This is the link given on the install page for Raspberry Pi.
                            All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Which outlines this.

And that is why I also made up a thread of what it should look like, how to configure and what messages are seen when using above methods are used.

Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

Comment

Hi, looks like not much happened on this port.
                              I installed the above steps 3 times on a RPi3 with Raspberry Stretch to no avail.
                              The ABSB sensor simplt does not work:
                              ERROR
                              "no ADSB-B data program seen serving on port 3005 for xx seconds...".
                              All port settings seem to be OK, though.
                              Is this a Raspbian Strech issues?
                              Rgs
                              FADON

Comment

Originally posted by FADOMSG550B View Post
                                Hi, looks like not much happened on this port.
                                I installed the above steps 3 times on a RPi3 with Raspberry Stretch to no avail.
                                The ABSB sensor simplt does not work:
                                ERROR
                                "no ADSB-B data program seen serving on port 3005 for xx seconds...".
                                All port settings seem to be OK, though.
                                Is this a Raspbian Strech issues?
                                Rgs
                                FADON
                                This thread is over a year old. and Stretch is new, your issues will likely not be related.

. Last update: March 08, 2022 NOTE: (1) Do NOT install the dump1090-mutability on Pi24 img and Piaware img. Both these images already have their integral dump1090. (2) TO HAVE A TROUBLE FREE INSTALLATION, IT IS REQUIRED TO MAKE A FRESH INSTALL, AS SHOWN BELOW: (a) Format microSD Card (b) Write Raspbian Image. (c) Install

And try some diagnosing to get the real errors visible

Or making sure the dirmgr is installed (appears to cause issues)
                                sudo apt-get install dirmngr
                                Last edited by Oblivian; 2017-09-03, 23:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X