Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: less bulky RTL2832U dongle, that does not block 3 USB ports from the Pi

Quote Originally Posted by RIN67630 View Post
    If you want to house everything in a neat case, every additional extender cable adds clutter and useless volume.
    In fact the mentionned dongle has only a very bulky plastic envelope. If you get rid of it, you get access to all ports.
    The smallest similar device would be the NooElec NESDR Nano 2. It too, hhas a removeable case. Or.. you can go bigger on the case and make it easy to work on..

RPi1.jpg

This thread creator's original question "less bulky RTL2832U dongle, that does not block 3 USB ports from the Pi" is still unanswered. No one has come up with a solution to this problem.

A Bulkier stick:
    Flightaware has today announced "Flightaware Pro Stick", USB R820T2 with a built-in 19 dB RF amplifier (0.4 dB noise) for $16.95 at Amazon.com. Currently it is available for shipment to USA only, but by April they plan it to be made available worldwide.

http://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/

Last edited by abcd567; 2016-03-25 at 21:01.

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    This thread creator's original question "less bulky RTL2832U dongle, that does not block 3 USB ports from the Pi" is still unanswered. No one has come up with a solution to this problem.

A Bulkier stick:
    Flightaware has today announced "Flightaware Pro Stick", USB R820T2 with a built-in 19 dB RF amplifier (0.4 dB noise) for $16.95 at Amazon.com. Currently it is available for shipment to USA only, but by April they plan it to be made available worldwide.
    http://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/
    Ouch! that looks very dilettantic!
    They are advertising an "ADS-B optimized" stick and are delivering it with the stock crappy whip antenna, that is not suitable at all for 1090Mhz?
    Anyhow the Nooelec stick has more than enough gain!
    The main problem is frequently the saturation from other frequencies, and -of course- bad antennas with horrible losses in the transmission cables.

Ouch! that looks very dilettantic!
    They are advertising an "ADS-B optimized" stick and are delivering it with the stock crappy whip antenna, that is not suitable at all for 1090Mhz?
    Anyhow the Nooelec stick has more than enough gain!
    The main problem is frequently the saturation from other frequencies, and -of course- bad antennas with horrible losses in the transmission cables.
    If you see pro stick's photo at its original location (http://flightaware.com/adsb/prostick/) you will find written below the photo "Raspberry Pi and antenna not included".

The built-in amplifier helps reduce losses due to transmission and bad antenna without need for additional equipment (amplifier, power insertor, ac/dc adaptor, dc blocker).

The negetive point is that amplifier is not located at its optimum location (near the antenna) but at the receiver, which means it will amplify all noise if the feeder coax is located in a RF noisy area.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2016-03-26 at 03:43.

Use an extender or take off the case.
    Last edited by K5TED; 2016-03-27 at 04:30.

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    The negative point is that amplifier is not located at its optimum location (near the antenna) but at the receiver, which means it will amplify all noise if the feeder coax is located in a RF noisy area.
    ...unless the receiver is located just behind the antenna! ;-)

That is my preferred approach. Put the receiver directly under the antenna in an IP67 case. Then you won't even need an amplifier.
    IMHO a 1090 MHz filter will bring more, since the stock RTL dongle has enough gain, but easily saturates from unwanted RF sources.

The current problem with having only the reciever located there, is that watertight cable glands do not fit well with USB cables.
    So I just added the Raspi and the power supply in that box as well.
    The Raspi runs xrdp and is managed from WLAN.

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by K5TED View Post
    Use an extender or take off the case.
    I took of the case. It was pretty easy.

I am lucky that I live i an apartment, with no balconies.
    As a result, my installation is strictly indoor and need not be weather proof.

This is how I am planning to use the "Pro Stick" when I purchase it.

Done by combining individual images of Filter, Pro Stick, Can, Whip, Adaptors, and Spider, in Photoshop
    Spider is NOT made by me. Found Spider's photo by Google image search.

Last edited by abcd567; 2016-03-27 at 15:25.

Flight attendant
    Yes, good idea. Screw everything together without lossy cables. And finally hide everything e.g. in a chinese lampion (those with a wooden spiral) so you can place it in front of a large window without spoiling your home flair.

Yes, good idea. Screw everything together without lossy cables. And finally hide everything e.g. in a chinese lampion (those with a wooden spiral) so you can place it in front of a large window without spoiling your home flair.
    Even better, run it all on a stick PC so it all fits in the lamp. Then suspend it from the windowframe with the power cable. Totally self contained system. You might have a product there....