No announcement yet.

New webpage design: Bug reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right then, wind will always be an area of confusion and here's why...

As a pilot I've got a wind arrow on my display in the aircraft.
    If the wind is blowing FROM the South (ie. 180 degrees) then the arrow looks like it's pointing North
    In the attached example the wind is FROM the South-West and thus, the arrow points North-East, highlighted by the red circle.
    That's how it's usually displayed in aircraft (to the best of my limited knowledge at least)

If we would now look at information published by official Met stations (The MetOffice in the UK for example) then we would see the opposite.
    Again, in the attached example inside the highlighted red circle the wind would be FROM the South-West at about 20 knots.
    The way the little wind arrows (icons) are drawn, makes it seem the opposite of what I would see in the aircraft (It really is a miracle that we don't get this wrong every single day...)

As far as what woud be the best to use here on FR24?
    I have no clue, as long as it's annotated somewhere...

Maybe it's a thought to move away from an arrow symbol all together and draw a little windsock?
    At least people know how a windsock works (I hope :-P )
    Or no arrow or symbol at all, just state wind direction as a number just like in METAR's / TAF's?

Various options to deal with it, just have to go with one...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
      Right then, wind will always be an area of confusion and here's why...
      If the wind is blowing FROM the South (ie. 180 degrees) then the arrow looks like it's pointing North
      In the attached example the wind is FROM the South-West and thus, the arrow points North-East, highlighted by the red circle.
      I agree. Arrow points to where the wind is blowing.

If we would now look at information published by official Met stations (The MetOffice in the UK for example) then we would see the opposite.
      Again, in the attached example inside the highlighted red circle the wind would be FROM the South-West at about 20 knots.
      As I mentioned earlier, the barbs are like feathers at the tail of the arrow.

Maybe it's a thought to move away from an arrow symbol all together and draw a little windsock?
      At least people know how a windsock works
      Yes, it blows in the direction of the wind. Not towards where the wind is coming from.

Simples.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• This would be a pretty good way of illustrating wind direction, I will ask our designer to work on it:

Comment

• Originally posted by Anmer View Post

As I mentioned earlier, the barbs are like feathers at the tail of the arrow.
          This is NOT the case when looking at MetOffice data!!

See my attached screenshot from the MetOffice where the 'feathers' are actually pointing INTO wind (wind is from the South-West in my MetOffice screenshot)!!
          It's very easy to get confused as the way the MetOffice is depicting wind, it looks incorrect to many people, but such is life...

Comment

This is NOT the case when looking at MetOffice data!!

See my attached screenshot from the MetOffice where the 'feathers' are actually pointing INTO wind (wind is from the South-West in my MetOffice screenshot)!!
            Agreed. The feathers are on the tail of the arrow.

01.jpg
            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• Seeing your attachment I now see what you mean and yes, that is correct.
              It's just so easy to get confused if you're not on the same page...

Comment

It's just so easy to get confused if you're not on the same page...
                Yes, totally agree. Hence the pictures.
                Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

• "N" feed the data does not appear on any of the world.
                  F-LTBJ1 & N-LTBJ1 & T-LTBJ1 Izmir / Turkey

F-LTAN1 Konya / Turkey

F-LTCS1 SanliUrfa / Turkey

F-LTFJ3 Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport / Turkey

Comment

• The data box on the left of the map (flight status, aircraft details etc) does not seem scrollable via touch in IE11 on Windows 10, unless you manually mouse over the box (no need to click) at which point touch scrolling works. When trying to scroll via touch without mousing over the data box, the scrollbars appear during the touch movement, but don't do anything. I get the same issue in Edge, whether touch events are set to "Always on" or "Always off".

IE 11.1001.14291.0 w/update 11.0.24, Windows Insider build 14291.rs1_release.160314-2254 (both currently newest+all patches under the Windows Insider programme)

Comment

• Not a bug as such, but I seem to alternate between Business and Gold accounts............happy with either as I feed. So not a problem financially. Rest of it seems to work fine!

Comment

• Originally posted by Olov View Post
                        Yes, some accounts still have issues with alerts. Will look into it today!
                        Olov, any news on this since the day is over in your part of the world? I guess I am one of the lucky customers with a problematic account, as I am receiving zero alerts. Not really happy about that to be honest.

Thanks.
                        Last edited by Artdime; 2016-03-23, 16:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by Artdime View Post
                          Olov, any news on this since the day is over in your part of the world? I guess I am one of the lucky customers with a problematic account, as I am receiving zero alerts. Not really happy about that to be honest.

Thanks.
                          Hi Artdime,

We made some progress today, but not completely solved the alert issues I'm afraid. Continuing tomorrow.

Olov

Comment

• Originally posted by GBHgpJON View Post
                            Not a bug as such, but I seem to alternate between Business and Gold accounts............happy with either as I feed. So not a problem financially. Rest of it seems to work fine!
                            Ok, thanks. We have seen reports of similar issues but we have not been able to pinpoint the issue yet.

Comment

• Logut bug should be permanently fixed as of today. Please report if you still experience random logouts!

Comment

• There was a problem fetching your data Please try again

Whenever I click on an aircraft I get an error message of "There was a problem fetching your data
                                Please try again". I have seen that this has been reported several days ago, but want to make sure that it is still recognized as a problem. Windows7, Chrome. It is hard to get rid of.

Chuckinkona

Comment

Working...
                                X