No announcement yet.

MLAT T- feeder leaks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without wishing to prolong the broken record I just want to say I'm not proposing banning people with all but the current version, but those who are sending broken data. I'm also gently making the point that FR24 doesn't appear to have a way of letting feeders know when they need to upgrade.

Sam26K, your point is important and I'm glad you've taken the hint to contact the FR24 support channel. I 've had quick and helpful replies when I've emailed in. Though, that said, piopawlu did answer your concern in post two of the thread. Oblivian, as a fellow moderator of other forums I applaud your patience

Comment

Originally posted by elljay View Post
      Without wishing to prolong the broken record I just want to say I'm not proposing banning people with all but the current version, but those who are sending broken data. I'm also gently making the point that FR24 doesn't appear to have a way of letting feeders know when they need to upgrade.

Sam26K, your point is important and I'm glad you've taken the hint to contact the FR24 support channel. I 've had quick and helpful replies when I've emailed in. Though, that said, piopawlu did answer your concern in post two of the thread. Oblivian, as a fellow moderator of other forums I applaud your patience
      Yep. The odd user uses disposable email or don't update what they register the email with. Or are offsite stations ontop of a hill they may not have easy access to.

I'm balding for a reason :P
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

The new FR24 webpage is awesome! Good work! There is now a lot more MLAT sources in my area as it should be. Good job!

BTW, I don't know what happened but I performed a "sudo apt-get upgrade fr24feed" and it updated the pi for about 30 minutes. Restarted then checked the version and it's unchanged. Still 1.0.18.5. Did the pi update something or not?

Screen shot of the many new MLAT radar sources in my area! Great Job! And thanks for the patience of enduring my past frustrations .
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sam26K View Post

BTW, I don't know what happened but I performed a "sudo apt-get upgrade fr24feed" and it updated the pi for about 30 minutes. Restarted then checked the version and it's unchanged. Still 1.0.18.5. Did the pi update something or not?

No. Not since the 4th. The web page and feeder are independant. 18.5 was in beta for a lot longer, and has now been moved to the stable repository.

And as long as you have a recentish version It will also probably update itself without intervention. However its not updated that often.

You need to monitor the update page for any new release information if Vinnysp does not openly post that everyone should update to fix a major issue

apt-get update is needed to get the list of current versions from the various sources. And then Apt-get upgrade is for all apps - will ignore the app name, so would have installed Rpi core apps files instead. Hence the long time. I can't find the thread but I clarified for another user that it seems 'apt-get install --only-upgrade fr24feed' (or just the install flag) will search for a new version and advise if 0 bytes were to be installed (no change) or if a new update was to be.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks for that explanation Oblivion. The last thing I would like to say on the issue of T- feeders leaking MLAT and FA piAware MLAT as possibly more accurate than FR24 MLAT, my take is that if it's uncontrolled data that it doesn't give the FR24 MLAT a chance to mature and improve. If it's not controlled then you end up with high traffic, high feeder areas like mine flooded with phantom aircraft and the garbage outweighs any advantage in a more accurate MLAT T-leaker.

Comment

Just to let the thread know, I did follow up with a formal complaint to fr24 email service support regarding the known MLAT T-feeders in my area, a ticket was generated.
              Last edited by Sam26K; 2016-03-22, 07:10.

Comment

Working...
              X