Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would like to suggest publishing a coverage map which would show contributors' locations (and perhaps a 150km circle around them). By showing coverage maps and/or a lack of redundant contributors you could encourage potential future contributors to purchase an ADS-B receiver and feed in data. Actually I have considered getting an ADS-B receiver but I never made a decision as there seems to be enough coverage and I fear to become a rather useless x-fold redundant contributor. If I saw that my contribution would bring significant improvement or at least redundancy where such does not exist yet I would probably change my mind.
    feeding data as EDDS9 through a Raspberry Pi with RTL2832U+R820T USB stick

Comment

• As mentioned at least 50 times before. We don't have position data for the receivers. Apart from that, coverage is also different on different flight levels. One area can have great coverage on 30.000 feet and no coverage on 10.000 feet. How can we show that? And coverage is different in different directions, a receiver in a skyscraper window can have 400 km coverage in one direction and 20 km in other direction. And finally someone can be feeding 6 hours a day, how should we plot that on a coverage map? By far the best solution is observing an area for 5 minutes a couple of times and you will have very good knowledge about coverage in that area.

Comment

• Sorry for asking, but I did at least try to answer that question by an intensive search before. Nevertheless you could relatively easily determine each receiver's rough position (as long as it is not an array of receivers feeding in on a single stream) by continuously averaging all received aircraft positions and averaging the distance of let's say 10% of the furthest messages received around this averaged position. That would give you a position and a circle around it. Of course this would not consider differences in vertical coverage but it would be helpful anyway. Depending on how regularly each receiver feeds data, you could assign different colors or transparency on the map.
        Last edited by inquisitor; 2012-07-19, 12:50.

Comment

• Can I suggest going to Google and searching for 'ICAO Airport Codes' An excellent link from this page offers a Wikipedia response, with a detailed, alphabetic listing of all ICAO codes and location identities by both civil and military airports.
          Go into this file and select alphabetic groups to cover those codes that you can determine from the FR24 website and print off your reference listing. In my particular instance, being located in South West England, I elected to print out all 'EG' and all 'EI' codes, guided by those radar receiver inputs I wished to be able to identify. As Mike explained, not every box is running 24/7 and of those that are, local geography can make a nonsense of simply applying a 150km radius, aside from several areas where adjacent box feeds are 'rotated' on the web-site display, where a given target aircraft may be scanned by several boxes simultaneously!
          Stick with it, with a list, and you will soon establish where feeds are coming from, remembering that the radar box codes are assigned by FR24 based upon a nearby airport.

Comment

• Originally posted by inquisitor View Post
            Sorry for asking, but I did at least try to answer that question by an intensive search before. Nevertheless you could relatively easily determine each receiver's rough position (as long as it is not an array of receivers feeding in on a single stream) by continuously averaging all received aircraft positions and averaging the distance of let's say 10% of the furthest messages received around this averaged position. That would give you a position and a circle around it. Of course this would not consider differences in vertical coverage but it would be helpful anyway. Depending on how regularly each receiver feeds data, you could assign different colors or transparency on the map.
            First estimate position and then estimate coverage of the estimated position? On top add different coverage on different heights + different coverage over time. I'm really sorry, but I don't believe in that project. It must be a lot better to actually look at the coverage on the map?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
              First estimate position and then estimate coverage of the estimated position? On top add different coverage on different heights + different coverage over time. I'm really sorry, but I don't believe in that project. It must be a lot better to actually look at the coverage on the map?
              Well, that's more or less how Google gathers location data for cellular network cells and WiFi networks. Just switch off GPS on your smartphone, run Google Maps and see how accurate Google will still locate you. After all we don't want to determine the receiver's exact address but rather the area it covers. Anyway it was just an idea that I believe could encourage nerds around the world to fill your coverage or redundnacy gaps.

Comment

• May I suggest a filter where you only see aircraft with a certain destination airport, or aircraft with a certain departure airport. Then you can follow all aircraft going to or from your home town.

Comment

• Originally posted by jlivers View Post
                  May I suggest a filter where you only see aircraft with a certain destination airport, or aircraft with a certain departure airport. Then you can follow all aircraft going to or from your home town.
                  Does this not already exist? On "Filter" set "Airport" type in the code for the airport and Bobs your aunt!

Comment

• It would be great if we could have an optional overlay of navigational beacons and possibly airways (beacons would be easier as they are a straight KML overlay readily available on the net). Then when listening to a flight saying they are going 'Direct to XXX' you would be able to get a rough idea of their route.

Comment

Working...
                    X