Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amplifier

I have a flight radar 24 free box. During snow (frequent) and other storms I notice the signal drops a lot. Also there are a couple hole between me and next site I think I can cover. So is there/ what is the best in line coax inline amp for this free box?

Amplifiers also boost noise levels. So if you are receiving noise etc an amplifier won't help. A cheap cable upgrade is a good first change to test for changes

Theres also filters which ensure you only get 1090mhz

What range do you get now? around 180 is the norm
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

The FR24 receiver has built in amplifier so an external amplifier should not be used unless you use a very very long cable (above 25-30m). Please contact support@fr24.com for issues with your receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Firfitr View Post
        I have a flight radar 24 free box. During snow (frequent) and other storms I notice the signal drops a lot. Also there are a couple hole between me and next site I think I can cover. So is there/ what is the best in line coax inline amp for this free box?
        Hiya,

Just a bit of input, I suspect the drop of signal might be due to inadequate waterproofing between the connectors/connectors not tightly fitted? Amalgamating tape is the recommended tape to seal the connectors. You can also then add some PVC (plumber's tape) to the amalgamating tape as it is not UV-proof. Please have a check if you don't mind.

As for amplifiers... I am not sure whether the supplied antenna by FR24 can be used with a preamp - if it is a SSE 1090SJ antenna. Please see here: http://radarspotting.com/forum/index...c,2090.15.html
        Something to do with a short circuit relay of the antenna. Again, you can contact FR24 support as per Mike.

Also I find amplifier tend to pick up weaker signals within your range, it does add a bit of range, 20nm ++ in my experience. If I had the option of whether to get an amplifier again, I would just stick to antenna + good quality coax cables. Then again, if you really have a long cable to run (30metres and above), an amplifier would send the signals down better to the receiver. YMMV.
        Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2013-07-23, 11:17.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm not thinking my issues are really outside the normal operating range of the flight radar box. Since Mike said it has a built in amp I won't get one but rather get a better cable, my run isn't very long, just 7-8 meters. But where I live it is next to a large lake and we get very heavy snowfalls during the winter (5 cm/hr or more) and it can cut 40 to 50 miles off the receiver range. Right now during nice clear weather I seem to get about the normal 180 nm range. Maybe a better solution to filling the gaps between me and the next receiver is another antenna setup! I might try one of those dongle setups on a location I have over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Firfitr View Post
            Thanks everyone. I'm not thinking my issues are really outside the normal operating range of the flight radar box. Since Mike said it has a built in amp I won't get one but rather get a better cable, my run isn't very long, just 7-8 meters. But where I live it is next to a large lake and we get very heavy snowfalls during the winter (5 cm/hr or more) and it can cut 40 to 50 miles off the receiver range. Right now during nice clear weather I seem to get about the normal 180 nm range. Maybe a better solution to filling the gaps between me and the next receiver is another antenna setup! I might try one of those dongle setups on a location I have over there.
            there is some threads around here about coax, one of them is this : http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/4945-Coax

Yup.. a dongle is a cheap and easy way to have a feel of what is the reception would be like. ADSB# seems to give better performance, based on NZ Radar website which is now obsolete unfortunately. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X