No announcement yet.

FR24 receiver Max accepted temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FR24 receiver Max accepted temperature?

If the answer is somewhere here, i´m sorry but i have not been able to find it.

I have installed the receiver into a waterproof case (I´m sorry I don´t know the technical word in English) at the botton of the mast in order to use the 5 meters antenna cable. I´m checking the temperature of the equipment through it´s private IP.
    The temperature just now (21:37 GMT+1) is 51,63ºC (Outside temp now is 23ºC).

My question is: what is the maximum temperature that the receiver can reach (before collapse...) ?
    The case is not small as you can see.
    Thanks in advanced.

Captura de pantalla 2014-09-02 21.35.23 copia.jpg
    Covering the Canary Islands, Madeira & North West Africa
    F-GCRR1: 565 meters high. F-GCRR2: 614 meters high. F-GCRR3: 604 meters high.
    F-GCRR5: next to the airport. Improving Canary Islands and Western Sahara MLAT.
    F-GCRR6 (Ex-FGCRR4): 358 meters high. F-GCRR7 : 300 meters high.

Rafa - Lanzarote, Canary Islands, NW Africa - EA8APP

Those are internal sensor readouts. And as far as I am aware it is sent as part of the FR24 monitoring.

The figure is not openly available, but if they find it is high they contact the feeder I think
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I've often wondered about putting a heatsink inside such a box thermally connected to a heatsink outside the box using thick brass or aluminium bolts as heat pipes through the box walls.

Comment

We have no known temperature issues with the FR24 box. Temperature is monitored by FR24 and we will contact host if there are any issues.

Comment

Thanks for the replies:
          48,35ºC 08:15hrs Outside temp: 21ºC
          53.98ºC 12:18 28ºC
          55.30ºC 13:08 28ºC
          58.51ºC 14:20 27ºC
          64.41ºC 15:46 29ºC
          66.04ºC 16:32 28ºC
          Max of the day now 66,84ºC at 16:57 (GMT+1) Outside temp: 28ºC
          The case is set heading west side of the wall what means the sun will hit it directly after midday.
          I would like to maintaing the case fully closed (without any hole) in order to keep the receiver fully protected.
          Let´s see. Peterhr: I have thought about heat sink you mentioned. I will stay checking the temp periodically during the hottest hours of the day.

Comment

I have same fr24 box, smaller case but same type, fixed on chimney facing north so sunlight exposure is minimum. Working for a year now with summer air temperature up to 39-40 degreess celsius.
            Just protect case from direct sunlight with some kind of board or similar.
            For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Originally posted by lanzarote View Post
              If the answer is somewhere here, i´m sorry but i have not been able to find it.

I have installed the receiver into a waterproof case (I´m sorry I don´t know the technical word in English) at the botton of the mast in order to use the 5 meters antenna cable. I´m checking the temperature of the equipment through it´s private IP.
              The temperature just now (21:37 GMT+1) is 51,63ºC (Outside temp now is 23ºC).

My question is: what is the maximum temperature that the receiver can reach (before collapse...) ?
              The case is not small as you can see.
              Thanks in advanced.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4693[/ATTACH]

Protect ALL 4 sides + front ot the box with "heat shield".

These simple metal pieces have been used successfully in all outdoor installations in WSSS.

Those road side speed cameras, lamp post traffic monitoring cameras, traffic light controller boxes, etc, all have "heat shields" installed outside the boxes.

enclosures3_install_large.jpg
              F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

I cover the front and top sides of the case with a "Sun car protection..." i hope it helps a bit. See photo.
                Captura de pantalla 2014-09-04 16.14.40 copia.jpg

About the metal pieces like a "heat shield", it must be a special metal because if not it can be like an oven.

Comment

I ...

About the metal pieces like a "heat shield", it must be a special metal because if not it can be like an oven.
                  I think the idea with the metal panels is that they are mounted away from the box and that there are wide air gaps - to the metal gets hot and air movement (the breeze and convention from the hot surfaces) carries the heat away

Comment

Not special metal. Just ordinary metal mounted about 1 inch to 2 inches air gap from the box.

The air gap will allow the heat to be blown away. The "heat shield" will prevent DIRECT sunlight from shining on the weather proof box.
                    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Ok. Thanks to all. I will see what to do after all recommendations.

Comment

Hello, I'm from Aceh - Indonesia, I put the receiver in outdoor enclosure too, but I added fan with solar panel on it, but the temperature still reach 62 celcius when sun light really bright at mid day. Outdoor temperature is about 34 Celcius, I think this receiver need some heat sink for its processor.

IMG_20150308_185206.jpg
                        IMG_20150305_124853.jpg
                        Last edited by saidmunawar; 2015-03-08, 11:55.

Comment

Originally posted by saidmunawar View Post
                          Hello, I'm from Aceh - Indonesia, I put the receiver in outdoor enclosure too, but I added fan with solar panel on it, but the temperature still reach 62 celcius when sun light really bright at mid day. Outdoor temperature is about 34 Celcius, I think this receiver need some heat sink for its processor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5756[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]5757[/ATTACH]
                          Pak Munawar,

May I suggest that you build a small roof over the box. Prevent direct sunlight from striking the box. It will reduce the temperature by a few degrees.

Comment

Cik Limpost,

Thanks for your suggest, I must think what kind of roof suitable for the box that really strong and realible, because I will put the box on top of telecom tower.
                            When first time I receive I put the Receiver on that tower, but I got electric problem to the box, and with new box I installed PoE support with 12v Adaptor than I use DC-DC converter to 5v. I think it more safe with 12V power supply to my Box than 220V AC.

IMG_20150308_205130.jpg
                            IMG_20150308_085301.jpg
                            IMG_20150308_090528.jpg

T-WITT1
                            F-WITT2
                            Last edited by saidmunawar; 2015-03-08, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by saidmunawar View Post
                              Cik Limpost,

When first time I receive I put the Receiver on that tower, but I got electric problem to the box, and with new box I installed PoE support with 12v Adaptor than I use DC-DC converter to 5v. I think it more safe with 12V power supply to my Box than 220V AC.
                              Yes I would recommend you look at a PoE (Power over Ethernet) solution. The most likely device to fail in an extreme temperature is the power supply. That power supply adapter is not rated for such a high temperature operation and will most likely fail very quickly.

When I was a civilian contractor for the military, one of the tests we had to do for all new electronics was to 'heat soak' everything for 5 days at 50*C. In theory this aged the electronics. For ever 5 days in the 50*C heat soaking room the electronics was aged 6 months. It was a test to spot any weaknesses ... their rule was if something is likely to fail it will in the first 6 months of its life. So keep this in mind, a high temperature will age the electronics faster.
                              www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X