Hong Kong Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
    Hmmm... might sound a bit too optimistic/unreal but maybe hope some generous member here will sponsor you a beast? As you have contributed much to the Rpi Dongle project?
    I'd prefer to purchase at an attractive price

... and I don't mean the radarcape ... I mean the older one that I can connect to the Pi.

Comment

• I just made another antenna (5.5 coco) and moved from facing SW to NE to cover the east terminal area.
      Now I see traffic starting at around FISHA.
      My coverage even extends up to Xiamen (266 nm)!!
      Capture.PNGCapture2.PNGCapture3.PNG
      However due to terrain (Ma On Shan and Tate's Cairn) there are quite a few blind spots.
      This proves that line of sight is very important for ads-b.
      I used the second design with 5 elements for the stem: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ntenna/page122

Comment

• Sorry fixed the above attachments.
        Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Comment

• Originally posted by microtony View Post
          Sorry fixed the above attachments.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]4204[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4205[/ATTACH]
          WOW that's great, your new coverage can replace my coverage in CUHK location which has been terminated a few days before.
          And I just know I had a hostel offer in the coming September, but I don't know whether my view of hostel is the same like facing EAST - Ma On Shan. If the coverage is good, I will request an DIY antenna from you at that moment!

For Coverage Display, you can use the latest Virtual Radar Server which Coverage Function is implemented and coloured, let me show my coverage did 2 weeks ago for example,

T-VHHH19:
          T-VHHH19_c.jpgT-VHHH19_b.jpg

T-VHHH28:
          T-VHHH28_c.jpgT-VHHH28_b.jpg

The coloured layer is divided by different height coverage, like FL 00-99, 100-199, 200-299, 300 above
          And microtony, your most update VHHK FR24 Plugin cannot support high resolution (1920X1080) which make the map in all black tiles.
          未命名.jpg
          Last edited by Dundee; 2014-06-04, 14:41.

Comment

Nice to meet you samman.
            Do you think you can cover the ABBEY area? As you can see there are a lot of position jumps.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4200[/ATTACH]
            What antenna are you using? May be I can make you one.
            Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
            Maybe you can ask microtony to make you one.. and then you can see whether your range improves samman.
            Originally posted by Dundee View Post
            Using DIY or adsb based (1.1GHz) atenna will have a great inprovement!
            Attached the radar range diagram. Unfortunately there are several skyscrapers just in front of my window, and I guess the ABBEY hold falls into the gap between IFC and Four Seasons Hotel. Improving reception may help (considering there can be diffraction around edges of those buildings?)

VHHH41_range.jpg
            T-VHHH41 @ Central District, HK
            180 degree facing East-South East, 650 feets above sea level

Comment

• You have better coverage over the east arrival route than me.
              I guess with a better antenna you can get the full range (up to 250nm).
              A 3.5 element coco is 51cm long and a 5.5 element coco is 72cm.
              Which one do you prefer? (I just bought some coaxial cables yesterday from Ap Liu Street XD)

Comment

You have better coverage over the east arrival route than me.
                I guess with a better antenna you can get the full range (up to 250nm).
                A 3.5 element coco is 51cm long and a 5.5 element coco is 72cm.
                Which one do you prefer? (I just bought some coaxial cables yesterday from Ap Liu Street XD)
                If you are kind enough to offer me the cable that'd be great! Actually I tried to make a pair of coco yesterday using old TV cables (75ohm) but I don't have the connector (MCX type). I just connected the central wire to the usb stick and the result was unsatisfactory. Or maybe I may have wrongly made short circuits lol?

I looked for MCX connectors in Ap Liu Street without success. I may look for one from Taobao
                T-VHHH41 @ Central District, HK
                180 degree facing East-South East, 650 feets above sea level

Comment

• Originally posted by samman View Post
                  If you are kind enough to offer me the cable that'd be great! Actually I tried to make a pair of coco yesterday using old TV cables (75ohm) but I don't have the connector (MCX type). I just connected the central wire to the usb stick and the result was unsatisfactory. Or maybe I may have wrongly made short circuits lol?

I looked for MCX connectors in Ap Liu Street without success. I may look for one from Taobao
                  Often you will get a small whip antenna with the dongle. To make an adaptor, cut the wire half way and fit a TV coaxial socket to MCX end of it, then you just need a coaxial plug on the other part if you want to connect it again.

It will look a little like this

Comment

• peterhr: the adapter is only RMB $3 on taobao, so it's not worth the effort to make one
                    samman: There is one shop in Ap Liu Street selling the adapter but the price is HK$19.
                    Luckily I have one extra and I can give it to you along with the antenna.

Comment

• I forgot to add.. I also used an amplifier... the amplifier is powered by USB

Comment

I forgot to add.. I also used an amplifier... the amplifier is powered by USB
                        Microtony you DIY your amplifier is it? How did you make it? If you don't mind can you show us a pic of it too? Perhaps I can try and make one...
                        Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-06-07, 07:34.

Comment

• No I bought it for around $80 (US$10).
                          I tried to find the exact thing online but to no vail
                          2014-06-07 21.52.11b.jpg

Comment

No I bought it for around $80 (US$10).
                            I tried to find the exact thing online but to no vail
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4229[/ATTACH]
                            Ok no worries... looks like a wide band antenna. but seems to help you for 1090mhz too.

Comment

• Sorry I was very busy in the past month and so can only catch up now.

Sadly TV and monitors in my home don't display the Rpi via HDMI port (the Rpi is fine at other places)....I will work on this but may be later (life still very hectic)...so meanwhile the PC continues uploading

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                              There is a few choices of software to run for ARM computers now to decode adsb data. It is:

1) dump1090 - guide available at this link: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...e-to-feed-FR24 Peterhr is the guru in this.
                              2) decodeadsb by John Carroll - work is ongoing to upgrade the software to run on debian instead of angstrom for Beagle bone platform. Supports Odroid U3 for high traffic areas. Link: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post40171
                              3) modesdeco by sergsero - google and you will find where to get it.
                              4) FR24's own decoder software in BETA test.

Most popular without doubt is dump1090. Method 1 is for RTL-SDR 820T dongles. Method 2 supports mode s beast and the dongles. Method 3 I am not entirely sure, definitely dongle but I think also can run on beast.

By the way Dundee how is decodeadsb working for you at VHHH?

Comment

• Originally posted by royng View Post
                                Sorry I was very busy in the past month and so can only catch up now.

Sadly TV and monitors in my home don't display the Rpi via HDMI port (the Rpi is fine at other places)....I will work on this but may be later (life still very hectic)...so meanwhile the PC continues uploading
                                There is an analogue port too - you just need a cord with two RCA phono plus on it to use that

(I've not tried it to see how well it works - but it's there)

Comment

Working...
                                X