New Zealand Radar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oblivian;
    Yes, Non FR24 equipment providing data, and yes (well, 4 boxes. But the -3 is australasia region. Each region has its own MLAT cluster doing calculations

Originally posted by nzradar View Post
    T-xxxxx is a privately owned receiver sending a data feed to FR24.com. The receiver could be a Kinetics SBS-3, RTL Dongle (I'm waiting for it.....!) or any other ADS-B receiver.

T-MLAT is the multi-lateration (just google it if you aren't sure) network of Mode-S messages (no positions) from FR24 receivers that can be triangulated to give a position of something like an Air Nelson Q400 that doesn't have ADS-B but does have a Mode-S transponder.
    Thanks guys, that all makes sense now.

Terry

Comment

• Have been having a play with a dongle. Have picking a small number of aircraft, but today moved little antenna to on the roof, with dongle conected to computer via a 10m active USB. Little light on dongle is going but no signal coming up on computer. Any ideas??
      Last edited by Westone; 2015-06-05, 05:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
        Have been having a play with a dongle. Have picking a small number of aircraft, but today moved little antenna to on the roof, with dongle conected to computer via a 10m active USB. Little light on dongle is going but no signal coming up on computer. Any ideas??
        If you are seeing the usb connected but no planes it could be the antenna needs a ground plane. I'm assuming it's the stock little magnetic antenna. On my one I have up for WN12 it's on a plastic box so put aluminium tape under it as I couldn't easily just put it on the roof.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westone View Post
          Have been having a play with a dongle. Have picking a small number of aircraft, but today moved little antenna to on the roof, with dongle conected to computer via a 10m active USB. Little light on dongle is going but no signal coming up on computer. Any ideas??
          If you aren't getting any hits then something isn't connected somewhere. I set up my dongle and immediately got 5-7000 thousand hits per day from a window ledge. Not sure what type of dongle you have but my one had the small Mcx connector. It didn't seem very positive when I pushed it in so I pushed a bit harder and all of sudden it locked in, so make sure yours is well connected. Despite it's puniness, and assuming it hasn't be damaged, the antenna will pick up signals so it must be a connection somewhere. Since the USB is powering the dongle OK, I assume it will be the antenna connection.

When you get it going, monitor its performance for a couple of days and then as others have suggested add a ground plane. I placed the antenna on a coffee tin lid and hits went up to almost 10000. But a ground plane is only a performance booster, the antenna should still work without it.

Terry

Comment

• Getting out of the blue QF 747s recently. 2nd one in a week today doing the 27/28 run. Must be a shift in the scheduling now they have dropped a couple of old ones and replaced with 330s and 380s

VH-OJT today which is a first in the 4 or 5yrs I've been running
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              Getting out of the blue QF 747s recently. 2nd one in a week today doing the 27/28 run. Must be a shift in the scheduling now they have dropped a couple of old ones and replaced with 330s and 380s

VH-OJT today which is a first in the 4 or 5yrs I've been running
              There have been a few of the OJ's on the run for about 3 weeks or so as it appears the OE's have been doing the MEL or SYD to LAX and return due to several A380's going unserviceable and one damaged a wing in SYD and is out for a bit

Comment

• Noted at 0930 this morning local time, MLAT on a P-3K2 (NZ4202) heading north-east out of Whenuapai as KRC317. I assume KRC is an ICAO code for the "Kiwi Rescue" callsign. This is the first time I've see this three letter code.
                Last edited by nzradar; 2015-06-07, 21:39. Reason: Update
                Michael
                Palmerston North,
                New Zealand
                ex-FR24 Feeder

Comment

• Originally posted by nzradar View Post
                  Noted at 0930 this morning local time, MLAT on a P-3K2 (NZ4202) heading north-east out of Whenuapai as KRC317. I assume KRC is an ICAO code for the "Kiwi Rescue" callsign. This is the first time I've see this three letter code.
                  Looks that way.

CAA have updated the regional callsign list again.. maybe

I've used the above to assign some of the regional stuff airline flags/codes
                  Last edited by Oblivian; 2015-06-07, 21:43.
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by nzfatmatt View Post
                    If you are seeing the usb connected but no planes it could be the antenna needs a ground plane. I'm assuming it's the stock little magnetic antenna. On my one I have up for WN12 it's on a plastic box so put aluminium tape under it as I couldn't easily just put it on the roof.
                    Finally got some action from the Dongle, Not sure what the problem was. Currrently tracking 7 aircraft.

Comment

Looks that way.

CAA have updated the regional callsign list again.. maybe

I've used the above to assign some of the regional stuff airline flags/codes
                      Very helpful list. Thanks Oblivian

Comment

• http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6931...in-capital-sky was in fact flight QF28 http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qf28/#67d9017 LOL

Comment

• Hi Bilstein
                          At least someone was on to it..

IMG_20150613_101520.jpg

Comment

• Nasas SOFIA platform PR people have said (confirmed on FB) they are due here Tomorrow (14th) for their southern deployment

Comment

Nasas SOFIA platform PR people have said (confirmed on FB) they are due here Tomorrow (14th) for their southern deployment
                              Transmitting ADS-B this year but position updates seem less frequent than other a/c.

Comment

• Originally posted by Templeton View Post
                                Transmitting ADS-B this year but position updates seem less frequent than other a/c.
                                It was unfortunately either hidden behind Wellington's western hold so I couldn't see it or didn't have a contrail to aid in spotting it for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X