Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux feeder software for Flightradar24 (Old software)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will you be discontinuing the use of the dump1090 based feeder this thread uses?

Can the new feeder connect to dump1090?
    - I found the answer to that one ...
    Originally posted by piopawlu View Post
    This software requires direct connection to your receiver, that is USB in case of Mode-S Beast. It will not work with a stream decoded by another application.
    Can the new feeder present data to other software in the same way that dump1090 does?
    The answer probably is Why should it?

The reason I'm asking this question is - can the new feeder be used alongside other feeders, or will you force people to choose to only feed FR24, or only the other tracking companies?
    Last edited by peterhr; 2014-10-18, 07:05.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Early next week the new Windows and Linux software will be published live. We will then close this thread and start new feeder threads.
      I was planning on setting up the flightradar24 on a raspberry pi this weekend. I have it downloaded and I was going to just modify the dump1090 init script to also launch flightradar24.

Are you just updating the binary? If so I could probably just move ahead with this. Otherwise, if you are adding initialization scripts or abandoning dump1090 then I will probably hold off.

Comment

• Originally posted by sgreasby View Post
        I was planning on setting up the flightradar24 on a raspberry pi this weekend. I have it downloaded and I was going to just modify the dump1090 init script to also launch flightradar24.

Are you just updating the binary? If so I could probably just move ahead with this. Otherwise, if you are adding initialization scripts or abandoning dump1090 then I will probably hold off.
        As I understand it the new feeder talks directly to the dongle or receiving hardware, and feeds to FR24 only.

dump1090 is not and cannot be used.

The predicted closing of this thread suggests that we are now on final version of the old feeder.

Is not been stated but it's possible that the old feeder could in the fullness of time - be disabled (would only need the new feeder to talk to different servers, and the old servers be switched off or something)

I will continue to use dump1090 on the equipment I have paid for (so I can feed others as well as FR24) and if FR24 want me not to feed them, that's fine by me.

Comment

• Originally posted by peterhr View Post
          As I understand it the new feeder talks directly to the dongle or receiving hardware, and feeds to FR24 only.

dump1090 is not and cannot be used.
          This would be a serious mistake, a lot of people multi feed, and some of the places we feed have no where near the saturation that FR24 does, so I ask myself, do I continue to feed an over loaded (for YBBN area atleast) FR24, or stick to help the smaller, but growing services, one of which without me cant cover YBBN under 8K feet last I checked, another, could do OK close to YBBN and outer areas with higher altitude.

Weighing it up, my next to pointless contribution to FR24 may very well be outweighed by the other two services, one of which I am , or last I checked, the primary for this area, and I may then shutdown FR24 feed.

So this new software would need to allow access to those ports, besides, as we know, dump1090 has a great inbuilt display system, one I use 99.9999999% of time, only rarely logging into FR24.

Comment

• unless it has port that these other feeders connect to.
            T-EGLF8

Comment

• "As I understand it the new feeder talks directly to the dongle or receiving hardware, and feeds to FR24 only."

How to win friends and influence people. That's a nice attitude to have.

Do we get clarification on if there are other ports we can connect our other feeds to - if we went down this route, it would kill all the other feeds. Are you going to kill your older feeders by switching them off? Are you going to tell anyone? Do you even care? All this is going to do is loose you a substantial amount of data (maybe that's what you want).

"unless it has port that these other feeders connect to. "

That question was brought to their attention months ago and got ignored. So I think we've got or answer.

Ah well, its been fun. If we have a choice of multi-feeding or FR24 only then I'll be continuing multi-feeding without FR24. At least the other people I feed to appreciate the time, effort and money I put in to give them my data.
              T-EGPD7

Comment

• If what is suspected, is indeed true and FR24 wants to "own" the data that comes from the dongle, without the option to feed to any other app, they can ready themselves to loose quite a lot of feeders. For instance, my data is piped out to VRS, ADSBScope and PlanePlotter locally. Each of these apps have some features I find useful that is not given by any of the other apps (like range, static tracks, max distance). So if speculation is correct, then I wont even be able to look at my own data on my own screens? Guess which "problematic" package will then get deleted ....

Comment

• Strangely there has been no response on this, I'll continue to run the software set I have
                  * Dump1090
                  * FR24-Feed
                  * PiAware (the feeder for the nice people at FlightAware)
                  * I did dry the PlaneFinder feeder - it worked but was very heavy on CPU an pig to install so discontinued it (built using NodeJS)

If any one wants to discard my data or requests that I cease feeding them they can!

(by the way, are there others I can feed with the simple setup?)

Comment

• PeterHR, there is always RadarBox24... but they might also have feeders-a-plenty in your area.

Comment

• Maybe they've made changes already, they dont apparently want my data...
                      tracked over 4 minutes (yeah I forget to moved the mouse out of screenshot area lol)
                      adsb1.png

adsb2.png

after several minutes it appears courtesy of YBBN1
                      Last edited by Ressy; 2014-10-21, 11:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                        PeterHR, there is always RadarBox24... but they might also have feeders-a-plenty in your area.
                        Those guys only offer windows feeders last I spoke to them, admittedly, this was beginning of year, have they found a real coder now?

Comment

• LoL @ Ressy.
                          No idea... but I'm sure it can change. Else push it with PlanePlotters application, if you have a Windows box available.

Comment

• Originally posted by HermanZA View Post
                            LoL @ Ressy.
                            No idea... but I'm sure it can change. Else push it with PlanePlotters application, if you have a Windows box available.
                            heh, no winblows boxes here, I enjoy linux stability on everything from phone, tablet, laptop and desktop, as well as local servers, all the adsb stuff is on a local file/DLNA server, so its 24/7 with UPS , and has plenty of grunt to spare.

at 29c p/kwhr in power costs in my state in Australia, if it only ran adsb, I'd invest in a 5 watt RPi, but since I'm already burning copious kw's, cant be bothered

Comment

• I currently run dump1090 and the old feeder on rpi. After some hours my planes stop displaying on fr24 site despite it says ONLINE on the feeder and dump1090 in interactive mode continues to display planes.
                              I've tried to run the new feeder and I still got an ONLINE status but neither one of "my planes" were displayed on FR24. What's wrong with both setups?

PS. Both old and new feeder are saying ... sending 6 planes... sending n planes... pinging server....

Comment

• Originally posted by giacomo892 View Post
                                I currently run dump1090 and the old feeder on rpi. After some hours my planes stop displaying on fr24 site despite it says ONLINE on the feeder and dump1090 in interactive mode continues to display planes.
                                I've tried to run the new feeder and I still got an ONLINE status but neither one of "my planes" were displayed on FR24. What's wrong with both setups?

PS. Both old and new feeder are saying ... sending 6 planes... sending n planes... pinging server....
                                Are those planes shown by any other radar?
                                For official support use Contact Form

Comment

Working...
                                X