X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adsbSCOPE (alternative) for RaspberryPi

Currently I'm running my PC 24/7 for VRS, adsbSCOPE and ModeSMixer

You may ask why would I do that

adsbSCOPE --> The first program I used. There isn't a lot of traffic in the vicinity so I drop the aircraft trail after 10 hours. This way I can always spot aircraft that have taken a different path. Last week I spotted a diversion this way.

VRS --> Used mainly for my range plot. Also there is more info available compared to adsbSCOPE for a flight/AC

ModeSMixer --> Started using this approx 1 month ago. Unlike VRS, ModeSMixer drops an aircraft if it doesn't receive a signal. This way my range plot is more accurate then the one generated by VRS.

In order to conserve energy I'm looking to buy a Raspberry Pi to run these 3 applications. VRS and ModeSMixer can run on a RaspberryPi but adsbSCOPE can't. Although adsbSCOPE isn't really necessary VRS cannot give me the exact path flown by an aircraft. Just the start en end points.

Is there an alternative to adsbSCOPE that possesses that specific option for a Raspberry Pi: keep the actual flight path visible for a set number of hours (not minutes)?
    F-SMZO2

The platform that RasberryPi run's isn't gui based. It's commandline. So can only output the data in a format still readable by those other applications (but need to run on a Windows platform) I think you will find.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      The platform that RasberryPi run's isn't gui based. It's commandline. So can only output the data in a format still readable by those other applications (but need to run on a Windows platform) I think you will find.
      Are there programs for RPI where I can manually enter the time-out time?
      F-SMZO2

Comment

I use startx which gives me a gui interface ... Came with the preinstalled image

Comment

Rather than running a RPi have you considered one of the intel NUC boxes, I run a low end one with Win7 for PP and just use remote desktop to access it from my iPad, the power consumption is almost as low as a Raspberry, but the purchace price is somewhat higher, there are quite often good offers on some of the older models and I have found mine to be rock solid, cool running and almost silent ( I could make it completely silent by fitting a SSD but the notebook HDD cannot be heard more than a few inches away)

Originally posted by GitseBase View Post
          Currently I'm running my PC 24/7 for VRS, adsbSCOPE and ModeSMixer

You may ask why would I do that

adsbSCOPE --> The first program I used. There isn't a lot of traffic in the vicinity so I drop the aircraft trail after 10 hours. This way I can always spot aircraft that have taken a different path. Last week I spotted a diversion this way.

VRS --> Used mainly for my range plot. Also there is more info available compared to adsbSCOPE for a flight/AC

ModeSMixer --> Started using this approx 1 month ago. Unlike VRS, ModeSMixer drops an aircraft if it doesn't receive a signal. This way my range plot is more accurate then the one generated by VRS.

In order to conserve energy I'm looking to buy a Raspberry Pi to run these 3 applications. VRS and ModeSMixer can run on a RaspberryPi but adsbSCOPE can't. Although adsbSCOPE isn't really necessary VRS cannot give me the exact path flown by an aircraft. Just the start en end points.

Is there an alternative to adsbSCOPE that possesses that specific option for a Raspberry Pi: keep the actual flight path visible for a set number of hours (not minutes)?
          FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by Kpin View Post
            I use startx which gives me a gui interface ... Came with the preinstalled image
            Yeah it does, but then teaching someone unfamiliar how to install wine and get these other windows based apps working on it is a whole another level :P
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

There is even smaller than NUCs now too.

Not sure how they would run usb into USB however

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

Mainly due to the price I looked at the RPi but the NUC/Compute stick seem like an good alternative. Price wise it's going to be approx. EUR 120 more then the Rpi but if the NUC is already running I can use it for browsing/simple work instead of powering up my system.
                F-SMZO2

Comment

Working...
                X