RTL1090 has a major problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTL1090 has a major problem

RTL1090 feeding to fr24 has a huge problem, it either submits a bad hex or reads it incorrectly and sends it to fr24. it also keeps the site from displaying the correct callsign/type/origin-destination everything as if everything was stripped. i was able to replicate this using rtl1090 and fr24feed from windows when i first started feeding with it and i stopped because i wasn't able to see anything useful, and have since moved to feeding with dump1090/rpi without any issues. at certain times of the day, it seems to update to fr24 so frequently it would override every other reliable feed in the area and show a screen full of "Unknown" aircraft. (yes i know how fr24 chooses to display which feed is coming from). rtl1090 also chooses to display low flying general aviation aircraft as well, whereas dump1090/FR24 equipment ignores the low altitude general aviation aircraft.

here are some screens to show what i mean. the KSFO bay area is of most interest to me so this is what the screen is looking at.

rtl1090problem.jpgrtl1090problem2.jpg

hate to be complaining here, but a screen full of "Unknown" is not very fun to look at.

If you are referring to the NEW fr24 feed software, you do not need any other decoders like dump1090. This decode portion is built in and will cause issues when run alongside other applications.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

strictly speaking of the rtl1090/fr24feed windows combo, not the new one that is posted in the forums. http://www.flightradar24.com/dvbt-stick and http://www.flightradar24.com/software

Comment

Per the two screenshot and looking at the FR24 Map.
        Those are Traffic Information Service – Broadcast (TIS-B) data in those screenshots
        Those codes will get recycled each time for different aircraft. You are picking them up from some FAA ground site.

Last edited by SoCalBrian; 2014-09-25, 04:27.
        Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
        [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

are they not coming from a t-feeder?

Comment

The T-feeder is picking up the TIS-B data that's being sent out over the air waves and uploading it with the software(rtl1090/fr24feed,etc) the user is using.

LAX also has TIS-B data being sent out around that airport.
            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

so with dump1090 for windows and the new windows standalone feeder, why not drop support for rtl1090? a screen full of unknown's is not much to look at. i appreciate everyone's contribution to the site, but i feel this small aspect kills the experience for me.

suppose for a moment a "newsworthy aviation event" caused a flood people to the site, and the replay showed a screen full of unknowns? or a passenger at an airport looks at fr24's view of their airport on the big screen, and see's a screen full of "Unknown"?

just a guy with an opinion here, maybe i'm just a minority.

Comment

FR24 doesn't "support" RTL1090.exe. It's a freely available decoder that can output messages that the FR24 data sharing utility can process.

The FR24 utility has no idea what decoder is being used,
                Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

support, endorse, call it what you want but it's how it's done on this link http://www.flightradar24.com/dvbt-stick . i started off using this and i stopped because it was affecting my enjoyment of the area i was hoping to feed. ended up buying a rpi and going the dump1090 route.
                  Last edited by Filldo; 2014-09-28, 23:18.

Comment

FR24 is developing a combined decoder and feeder which should overcome these issues.
                    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
                    X