Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're feeding FR24 DONT touch this button!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you're feeding FR24 DONT touch this button!

Guys,

I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this little gem or not or if there is anything on the forum or elsewhere (it's certainly not on the Individual Stats page itself) which makes one aware of the consequences. For anyone who uploads to FR24 please read and understand the following;

You would all be familiar by now with the individual statistics page- under 'My Data Sharing' thence 'Show Statistics.' This page is being updated now and then and if you check the line adjacent to your coordinates there's an icon at the far end which appears like an eye. Click on it now and up pops another icon alongside it which looks like a pen (or crayon) as well as your coordinates of course. Clicking on the 'pen' will bring up a dialogue box showing your location on a map with a movable balloon. Hovering your mouse over the 'eye' brings up 'show/hide coordinates' where as hovering over the 'pen' doesn't tell you anything at all. However, all seemingly innocuous so far.

Now if you're like me and you're fond of accuracy just beware if you are tempted to move the location balloon even just a tad that you not only update your coordinates but you may well do what I did and accidentally create a new alias for your receiver, sending the old one off into the ether and voiding it. By the way you can't select a new alias for yourself, it's selected for you automatically seemingly by some random method only FR24 understand.

Thankfully after contacting support they are going to roll back my alias but if enough of us change our location balloon simply because it's a few houses or streets away and the inevitable happens these poor guys in support will be swamped with requests to fix it up.

If you want to keep your existing alias intact, don't fool with this dialogue box as there are consequences which although unintentional can become quite problematic. Since we're the only one who can see this information (apart from FR24), I don't think it's worthwhile playing with and quite frankly is probably something that's a completely unnecessary feature for existing uploaders.

Regards,
    Gregg

By the by, for the time being I am now Radar T-YSBK50!
    Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-06, 06:58. Reason: the usual- spelling, grammar and extra info
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Thanks Gregg for this alert. FR24 Support recently told me to use it to edit my own coordinates but I hadn't done so yet. They never said anything about the consequences of doing this.

Regards
    Peter

ylis

Comment

Better change coordinates by this method

pi@raspberrypi:~$ sudo fr24feed --signup

Welcome to the FR24 Decoder/Feeder sign up wizard!

Before you continue please make sure that:

1 - Your ADS-B receiver is connected to this computer or is accessible over net work
      2 - You know your antenna's latitude/longitude up to 4 decimal points and the a ltitude in feet
      3 - You have a working email address that will be used to contact you
      4 - fr24feed service is stopped. If not, please run: sudo service fr24feed stop

To terminate - press Ctrl+C at any point

Step 1.1 - Enter your email address (username@domain.tld)
      $:xxxx@yyyyy.com

Step 1.2 - If you used to feed FR24 with ADS-B data before enter your sharing ke y.
      If you don't remember your sharing key, pelase use the retrival form:

Otherwise leave this field empty and continue.
      $:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Verifying sharing key...OK

Step 1.3 - Would you like to participate in MLAT calculations? (yes/no)$:yes

IMPORTANT: For MLAT calculations the antenna's location should be entered very precise!

Step 3.A - Enter antenna's latitude (DD.DDDD)
      $:

Step 3.B - Enter antenna's longitude (DD.DDDD)
      $:

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        Better change coordinates by this method
        abcd567,

For those of us who are existing uploaders and have certain units that, at present, aren't capable of participating in M-LAT this option isn't available to us at all, let alone for adjusting coordinates. The setup dialogue box skips any reference to our location (Step 3 doesn't exist).

Since I've stuffed up my alias and at present have a new one and it wont really affect anything adversely (fingers crossed), I'm checking out all available options to see what effect they have.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Peter,

That is no surprise to me at all. They really do a fabulous job assisting us, but I'm not sure that support are even fully aware of, or up to speed with, all the idiosyncrasies of uploading or FR24 as a whole. I get the impression they are in the dark about a lot of this as much as we are.

Regards,
        Gregg
        Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-06, 23:47.
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

As a follow up to the above post I've found another issue with this dialogue box. If you make no changes and attempt to close it by means of the cross in the top right corner it won't close it. That's using it on a Chrome browser, haven't tested others yet. One needs to reload the page to get rid of it. Getting it to accept your exact location is nigh on impossible too although this may be outside the resposibility of FR24. So for the time being at least my receiver is showing up out in the street in about the position of the gutter. Hmfff....

Regards,
          Gregg
          Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-07, 02:11.

Comment

Done it now

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              Done it now
              Yep! Indeed!

Gregg
              Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-07, 12:26.

Comment

No more playing with adjusting my coordinates, I have my old alias back now thanks to the guys from support.

Gregg

Comment

I love it but you must have too much time on your hands!

Comment

This was done because support gets alot requests for coordinates change. It seems like changing of alias bothers people so we will disable that part. Do note that everything is connected to Sharing Key so even if your alias changes, it doesn't affect your stats. In the next release, alias will not change by updating your coordinates.
                    --

Comment

Originally posted by Khan View Post
                      This was done because support gets alot requests for coordinates change. It seems like changing of alias bothers people so we will disable that part. Do note that everything is connected to Sharing Key so even if your alias changes, it doesn't affect your stats. In the next release, alias will not change by updating your coordinates.
                      A lot use it as an identity. For reaching out to others nearby or associating with someone they are familiar with from the forum, or monitoring areas for coverage issues.

I know a few who have looked in our area and said 'well the radar ID shown is x34, so theres no point uploading as theres 34 uploaders in the area' or deciding not to get hardware due to it.

Pretty sure there's not that many active. But a heap who have registered (and subsequently reserved) an ID slot in the early days trying not understanding what it was for, or to get a free account only to find they actually need a receiver and upload stuff

Incrementing this each edit will sure to increase that viewership groups thoughts.
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

A lot use it as an identity. For reaching out to others nearby or associating with someone they are familiar with from the forum, or monitoring areas for coverage issues.

I know a few who have looked in our area and said 'well the radar ID shown is x34, so theres no point uploading as theres 34 uploaders in the area' or deciding not to get hardware due to it.

Pretty sure there's not that many active. But a heap who have registered (and subsequently reserved) an ID slot in the early days trying not understanding what it was for, or to get a free account only to find they actually need a receiver and upload stuff

Incrementing this each edit will sure to increase that viewership groups thoughts.
                        You make a very good point there. This actually is on my list of things to look into. The crucial thing here is that after how long shall a feed be deleted if it has been offline?
                        --

Comment

Originally posted by Khan View Post
                          You make a very good point there. This actually is on my list of things to look into. The crucial thing here is that after how long shall a feed be deleted if it has been offline?
                          Indeed, Pondered the suggestion in the past of deleting old accounts.

Deletion after time period may effect those that do the odd testing - I have a 2nd assigned that I only fire up to confirm linux issues and the likes sometimes. And others may only use when visiting airports. Or remote stations with data/access issues.

Now that stats are defined better one would hope there should be an easy way for a kick off of a query before doing a prune of those with an ID assigned that have 0 individual HEX contributions against their entire upload data history

Or mailbombing with a 90 day warning or similar. With suspension before deletion after 6 months

Comment

Indeed, Pondered the suggestion in the past of deleting old accounts.

Or mailbombing with a 90 day warning or similar. With suspension before deletion after 6 months
                            That's a very good idea along with 0 HEX contribs. Noted down!
                            --

Comment

It'd bring it inline with some of the other providers contribution warnings.

I find out fast when my connection is down, I get multiple emails from feeders and weather underground alerting of my weather station offline.

Comment

Working...
                              X