Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aussie Radarspotting

Qantas Jumbo on RAAF callsign

I thought about posting this to the Aussie Feeders thread but it's really off topic there as it's got nothing to do with feeding FR24 so I've started this new thread that hopefully might get a bit of use for interesting items about Aussie planes and radar spotting in and around Australia.

Qantas B747 VH-OJI is currently on charter to the RAAF, having flown yesterday from Sydney to Brisbane to Darwin to Al Minhad Air Base in the UAE, presumably performing personnel transfer. Interestingly, it is using the RAAF callsign ASY11. If anyone is interested, it is scheduled to leave the UAE at 5.10pm AEST today, arriving in Darwin at 3.30am tomorrow. Al Minhad is a bit south of Dubai. I don't know if it showed up on FR24 over the Middle East as I was not watching but it was certainly visible beyond Darwin last night.

Wonder what the RAAF's big Airbuses were doing that caused the need for a charter? With those, the VIP planes, the KingAirs and even the C17s, the RAAF has more passenger-capable planes than many small airlines.

DC3 with ADS-B!

Spotted this Canadian registered DC-3 over southern Qld today. Would not be many DC3s with ADS-B. It is used for geophysical survey work and has been heavily modified, including turbo engines, according to this article:

Small business web hosting offering additional business services such as: domain name registrations, email accounts, web services, FrontPage help, online community resources and various small business solutions.

DC3.jpg

Comment

Terrific new feeder in NT

Occasionally a new feeder appears in an area where there has been nothing except T-EST dotted lines which I don't take seriously. Such a feeder is F-YDVR1. YDVR is supposedly at a place called Dockers River. I can find what looks like a mining camp but not an airstrip on Google Earth but no doubt one must exist. Dockers Creek is close to the WA border roughly west of Ayres Rock. The feeder may not actually be there as it provides very good coverage into a lot of NW South Australia as well as making it now possible to track aircraft on ADS-B continuously from Perth to Alice Springs. Hope F-YDVR hangs around and well done to whoever is hosting it in such a remote location.

EDIT. Probably should have posted this to the Aussie Feeders thread - mods feel free to move it if desired.
      Last edited by airnrail; 2015-06-16, 07:00.

Comment

Virgin E-190 on teh way to Samoa

Virgin E190 VH-ZPT doing a rare international flight (charter?) from Brisbane to Apia today.

VOZ9901.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by airnrail View Post
          Occasionally a new feeder appears in an area where there has been nothing except T-EST dotted lines which I don't take seriously. Such a feeder is F-YDVR1. YDVR is supposedly at a place called Dockers River. I can find what looks like a mining camp but not an airstrip on Google Earth but no doubt one must exist. Dockers Creek is close to the WA border roughly west of Ayres Rock. The feeder may not actually be there as it provides very good coverage into a lot of NW South Australia as well as making it now possible to track aircraft on ADS-B continuously from Perth to Alice Springs. Hope F-YDVR hangs around and well done to whoever is hosting it in such a remote location.

EDIT. Probably should have posted this to the Aussie Feeders thread - mods feel free to move it if desired.
          Docker River is an aboriginal community about 5km on thr NT side of the WA/NT border. Theres a police station, clinic and a small school, and that's about it. There is a strip there (hence the ICAO code YDVR) mainly used by RFDS and charter flights. We're not sure who is running this feed as there really isn't much out there, but it certainly has improved coverage out west.

Geoff in the Alice
          T-YBAS1

Comment

Originally posted by geodementia View Post
            Docker River is an aboriginal community about 5km on thr NT side of the WA/NT border. Theres a police station, clinic and a small school, and that's about it. There is a strip there (hence the ICAO code YDVR) mainly used by RFDS and charter flights. We're not sure who is running this feed as there really isn't much out there, but it certainly has improved coverage out west.

Geoff in the Alice
            T-YBAS1
            G'Day Geoff. Thanks for the clarification re Docker's River. I see T-YBAS1 from time to time - you've got a little competition there in the Alice. Cheers. John

Comment

Vanuatu Feeders Back

Good to see both the Vanuatu feeders back on the air: F-NVVV Port Vila and F-NVSS Luganville. The South Pacific island feeders (Vanuatu, Fiji, Noumea, Wallis/Futuna, Hawaii) provide a great service for those of us who watch aircraft travelling between North America and Oz/NZ. How good it would be to have a few more like Norfolk, Lord Howe, Samoa, Solomons.

Comment

Interesting flight this afternoon from Brisbane to Sydney by Airbus A340-300 with Portuguese registration CS-TQY and using the call sign ASY25. In Australia, the callsign ASY is used by the RAAF for flights by transport aircraft. The plane is registered to the Portuguese charter airline Hi Fly. I’ve commented here before that the RAAF has more passenger-capable aircraft than many small airlines but it still charters others from time to time, principally from Qantas. Now I believe that Qantas really is short of planes!

Comment

I recall seeing one doing similar in the past, seems it gets based out of Brisbane almost fulltime. http://ybbn.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/h...search-results
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    I recall seeing one doing similar in the past, seems it gets based out of Brisbane almost fulltime. http://ybbn.blogspot.co.nz/2015/05/h...search-results
                    Thanks for that - I must have missed seeing that post on the YBBN spotters blog.

Comment

Ballera feeder back on air

Good to see one of our remote feeders back on air - T-YLLE1 at Ballera Qld in the desert near the SA border. T-YLLE1 has not been visible since last December and together with F-YOOM1 (Moomba SA), F-YOLD1 (Olympic Dam SA) and T-YBHI2 (Broken Hill NSW) it provides very good coverage in that remote corner where three states meet. Ballera is quite difficult to find on the map - the Cobham Avro in the attached screen shot is right on the runway and I have also added a couple of labels for anyone who wants to find it.YLLE.jpg

Comment

Dorniers leaving Chinchilla

Some years ago a bloke called Jim who posted for a while here as JustMe put up a particularly useful FR24 feeder that still operates (F-YBSU1) and one of the reasons he did it was to find out where a couple of Dornier Do228s were going to from Brisbane several times a day. The answer was Chinchilla where they were flying personnel from a resources company.

Well Jim if you happen to still read these forums, this is the last week for the Dorniers as they are being replaced next Monday by Dash8s operated by the reincarnated version of Skytrans. Bad news might be that no Skytrans Dashs ever had ADS-B and I'd be surprised if it has since been installed but these days MLAT coverage over that area is OK. BTW Skytrans now has as a major investor one Johnathan Thurston, Captain of the North Queensland Cowboys.

Comment

Google Map of Victoria

Has anybody else noticed that the map of Victoria seems to have acquired an inordinate number of what I assume are highway tags when zoomed in to 20km? I think they are just useless clutter when compared to NSW in the attached screen shot. I prefer the road map view to all others because I'm more interested in the places where planes are than the terrain they are flying over.

While on the subject of Google maps, they have also recently removed the runways and taxiways from most non-metro airports in Australia and probably elsewhere as well. Wonder why? VicMap.jpg

Comment

Coulson's L-100 Tanker #132 (N405LC) has arrived back in Australia. Tanker #132 arrived on September 6th.
                            Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
                            [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

ADS-B Mandate in Australia

Attached is a link to an Airservices bulletin that some spotters may find interesting. From early 2017 all aircraft operating in Australia under IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) must be equipped with ADS-B. This includes smaller private singles and twins. Many operators of course will choose to only fly under Visual Flight Rules and this is permissible.

There are an increasing number of smaller aircraft showing up on FR24 that have ADS-B. As an aside though, QantasLink still have more than half of their Dash 8 fleet not fitted with ADS-B while Rex have just six out of 52 SAAB 340s without it.

Comment

Working...
                              X