Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antenna

I am new to the forum and have searched for answer but havnt found it which is why I am posting.

Silly question maybe, but I have the USB-dongle with a small indoor antenna (starter pack). Can I just get an adapter for the TV-antenna and plug that in instead for better coverage?
    As I said, I am a beginner, but willing to learn.

Regards

There is a large thread for a do it yourself antenna.

Do you have an indoor antenna with a magnetic socket and a removable tip?
    If yes, you have a good chance to use it for improvement.
    In this case remove it and place a copper cable (or any other metal) of a length of 52 mm instead of the tip. Must be 52 mm from the thread to the tip, so add some more for wrapping it around the thread
    This is how mine is updated. In addition putting it on a metal box or foodcan can improve too:
    copper-antenna.jpg

See also this DIY Antenna Thread:

Alternative receivers, antennas, amplifiers, connectors, adapters and general technical matters. No Flightradar24 issues.

In addition it depends which dongle you are using. Not all are on a same level. Please share more details.
    I am using the Flightaware pro plus stick with integrated amplifier and filter.

Comment

Hi

I have the one that is suggested by Flightradar when building one by jetvision (cant post a link since I am new)

I am wondering if I use an adapter, if I can plug it in the dongle straight from the tv-antenna-wall socket

I have found an adapter, but will it work? And most of all, will it improve the coverage?

Comment

TV 400-550mhz. Adsb 1090mhz

It would be a effective as the included TV antenna whip in most cases. Which isn't optimized

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Which adapter are you going to use?

The indoor antenna from Jetvision seem to be in the correct length.
          Any regular DVB-T Antenna gives result, but far away from the optimum

Comment

I suspect it would be much worse Oblivian.

The cabling most likely attenuates 1090 MHz like no tomorrow.
            All that after an unsuitable antenna. (In the worst case TV antennas are horizontally polarized)

Just cut the indoor antenna to the correct length.
            Before you ask, any antenna on the market in those starter packs is not for ADS-B and can be improved by cutting it to the correct length.
            Also place it on a metal can like described here:
            If you are using the whip antenna (which came with DVB-T), you can improve it’s performance (maximum range & number of planes) by doing two simple things shown in the sketch below.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              TV 400-550mhz. Adsb 1090mhz

It would be a effective as the included TV antenna whip in most cases. Which isn't optimized

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
              So better then the starterpack antenna?

Comment

an adapter that converts IEC to MCX

Comment

Originally posted by Calmare View Post
                  So better then the starterpack antenna?
                  Nope. No better if not worse.

TV signal is vastly different from ADSB/Microwave. And as such subject to connector/cable loss among other things. (tv antennas are directional, polarised and not omni-directional)

A standard 'tv' kit is also designed/optimised for tv. Now what we use it for. Which is why instructions for most people is to cut the antenna to the correct wavelength. Or you are only getting 'part' of the signal wave as it passes by and missing things.
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    Nope. No better if not worse.

TV signal is vastly different from ADSB/Microwave. And as such subject to connector/cable loss among other things. (tv antennas are directional, polarised and not omni-directional)

A standard 'tv' kit is also designed/optimised for tv. Now what we use it for. Which is why instructions for most people is to cut the antenna to the correct wavelength. Or you are only getting 'part' of the signal wave as it passes by and missing things.
                    I know this probably is avaiable somewhere, but what antenna would you suggest from the jetvision page? Nevermind price, just what you think is the optimal antenna...

Comment

Here are some recommendations:

Solutions to common problems using dump1090 variants and ADS-B feeders - wiedehopf/adsb-wiki

The diapason antenna on the jetvision page is very good.
                      Note it needs a voltage supply via the coax.

But getting the rtl-sdr LNA and one of the antennas listed up at that link is probably just as good if the the LNA is close to the antenna.
                      Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-30, 21:22.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                        Here are some recommendations:

Solutions to common problems using dump1090 variants and ADS-B feeders - wiedehopf/adsb-wiki

The diapason antenna on the jetvision page is very good.
                        Note it needs a voltage supply via the coax.

But getting the rtl-sdr LNA and one of the antennas listed up at that link is probably just as good if the the LNA is close to the antenna.
                        There are a couple of Diapson antennas...... Which one?

Comment

If you don't know which frequency you need, maybe you should just go with one of the antennas i listed in my list.
                          There is such thing as user error and it would be a pity if it broke after spending 200 euro.

ADS-B is 1090 MHz.

Comment

Working...
                          X