T-EGTG29 Pyropetepete Raspberry Pi Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-EGTG29 Pyropetepete Raspberry Pi Setup

Evening all. Relocated my setup outside for some testing. Bit of a bodge last min rush.

Specs.

Raspberry Pi 2
    Traxa PiCat5 (POE)
    RTL2832U & R820T DVB-T
    HAB Supplies /Anthony Stirk aka M0UPU/Upu/UpuWork 1090Mhz ADS-B SAW Filter & Preamp
    Traxa RG58 18''
    MCX male to SMA male pigtail RG316 15cm
    Mod My PI PSU 5V 2A
    5M CAT6
    2 element collinear antenna (From ebay, 301793632923)
    IP65 box

It's rather tight in the box and I just wanted to get it out and testing. Yes well aware of possible RF issues.

It will be relocated to a 2'' dia mast thats 12ft long on the top side of my garage making the antenna sit at 28ft. Currently just on the fence.

I've already got ideas for when i relocate it and box it all up what I want to do differently.

I'm just running the basic setup on the FR24 Raspberry Pi page and not made any change. I'm also running Apache2 on it.

Radar.jpg
    12562596_10153311308401404_1967367215_o.jpg
    12557878_10153311308531404_303159665_o.jpg
    12544803_10153311128586404_357048763_o.jpg
    12443527_10153311308481404_358520127_o.jpg

Nice set-up. Getting your antenna above that adjacent building should give awesome low altitude coverage of LHR...
    F-KDAG1

Comment

Looking Good...!

You appear to be using the same box as me to IP55/56 standard.

As a tip due to space, I have split the gear into two adjacent boxes.

Box 1 for me contains the Mains Power supply as I had to run a 20m cable up onto the roof and as I am using the FR24 Kit only at this time, I also ran 20m of Cat5e Cable.
      Box 2 contains the FR24 receiver, the power from the lower box being fed into Box 2 via a small piece of conduit.

I split the kit to have more airspace around the kit and to reduce the temperature and potential interference. On the top box using mastic, I stuck a small piece of metal and on that I have placed my GPS Antenna.

I have bought a Raspberry Pi 2 and been playing with homemade antennas but they appear to pick up too much noise so I am going to order another 1090 Antenna, then I will get another IP55/56 box to house the Raspberry Pi and Dongle, running the power from Box 1 and install another 20m Cat5e Cable down to the router.

IMG_3136.jpg
      If life is a stage, most of us are unrehearsed...!

Comment

image.jpg

Sadly my USB PSU has died. It's a few years old anyway.

Working woth Traxa we've made a better injector using a decent PSU this allow more control to make sure we get the right voltage at the end of the run.

A Meanwell 5A 12V PSU with a regulator will be used.

For now the unit is in my garage bolted too my desk which totally sucks. Least it's running.

I was tempted to get a 2nd box and a single power socket and have that as the mains power supply. Get some flex and make my own cable run up. If this POE doesn't work then I'll fall back to that. I still need a larger box anyway and if so could house it all.

I plan to house the dongle in this metal box with the dongle being earthed also. Hoping it'll help reduce any noise and stuff. eBay item number as yet allowed to post links 121581164629

Comment

Just built this today - burning it in now. If it stays together, it goes up 55'. RPi 1, NoElec 820T2, FA filter, MaxRad groundplane (not yet trimmed to 1090), $10 Bud NEMA Box from Amazon. Contemplating swapping out the NoElec for the new RTL-SDR Blog 820T2 in the aluminum case with SMA.

IMG_3163.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Pyropetepete View Post
            Traxa PiCat5 (POE)
            Hi Pete,

Could you provide some more details of the POE adapter please? searching for it is proving fruitless ....

Hopefully it won't be too badly priced - the only other one I have seen is the pi-supply one (https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi...r-raspberry-pi) which at 25GBP is getting a bit expensive to get it here to Australia given the exchange rate and shipping etc.

thanks

Andrew
            T-YSBK22

Comment

Originally posted by K5TED View Post
              Just built this today - burning it in now. If it stays together, it goes up 55'. RPi 1, NoElec 820T2, FA filter, MaxRad groundplane (not yet trimmed to 1090), $10 Bud NEMA Box from Amazon. Contemplating swapping out the NoElec for the new RTL-SDR Blog 820T2 in the aluminum case with SMA.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6938[/ATTACH]
              Nice!. almost have the same setup but mine is enclosed on a tin can of a cookie box. Got to try that eBay antenna.. can we remove those radials or it is fixed..

Comment

The ground radials are threaded, the top radiator is not. Removing the ground radials allows the whole thing to come apart, and provides great joy and cursing when trying to get it all lined up again to go back together...
                However, it is not necessary to dismantle the antenna to do the trimming, if that's what you are contemplating. I have the proper trim measurements for you if you need. You can either snip them off or use a Dremel or whatever. It's aluminum.

The PVC body happens to fit on about a 3/4 PVC pipe, so it's possible to make a nice sturdy solution with the connections and all enclosed in pipe. In fact, with some ingenuity and a trip to Home Depot, the entire solution, including the dongle, filter and RPi could actually be encased in PVC fittings.

Comment

Hi Andrew.

Sorry for the late reply. Had to check what I was allowed to say.

So Traxa is my mate Paul. The product for the Pi is called PiCat5.
                  The biggest cost and issue I s shipping to Oz sadly.
                  He has said he can sell you the PCB only and some basic instructions along with a BOM (bill of materials) for £8.50 plus shipping.

The PiCat5 Pi end has dual USB (A & B) and pin out for GPIO powering the Pi. The unit is a HAT so sits on the GPIO pins.
                  The injector side has a USB B input for power.
                  Both ends have passing ethernet ports.

Will get some photos tomorrow.

Just working out my new PSU setup.

Comment

they only thing i woudl suggest is getting the right pig tail lead probably save some connector losses.
                    T-EGLF8

Comment

Originally posted by SpaxmoidJAm View Post
                      they only thing i woudl suggest is getting the right pig tail lead probably save some connector losses.
                      What do you mean exactly?

Dongle is MCX Male
                      AMP/Filter is SMA
                      Antenna N Type

Comment

Working...
                      X