Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dudesjp
    replied
    Hey everyone! This is my CanTenna! Made with a Monster Energy Drink Can and plastic rice jar!

AiKm2ey3_guegMQfzj4mDDCLTiRM7RWfdc-JCpgJy0k4.jpg

I'll put this state of art in the roof with 10 meters coaxial cable, and I bought an amplifier for compensate the loss of signal. But, after seeing the projects, i realized that everyone put the amplifier inside the can right? So, if i put the amplifier in the line, like 1 meter after the antenna, i'll lose something or will be the same? Because as i'll put outside, i thought in put the amplifier right after the hole in the wall, but inside the roof, in the attic! It's ok, or is better put inside the can? Thank you

Leave a comment:

• DemonLee
    replied
    Originally posted by skyspotter View Post
    Your receiver might be overloaded with interference. Try to isolate it from other electronic devices. Enclosed it in a can or metal container and add a grounding on it. Add a filter to your gear. Pug your device it to an outlet that has noise reduction circuitry. Lastly, check your PiAware for some installation errors, corrupted files and missing commands.
    Hi, thanks for the response... this is a DVT Dongle operating on a Windows PC, this is sitting on a clean power supply inside my property with 9.5m co-ax feed to the antenna on the roof. We have a Cab Office 1/2 mile away and my suspicion is that the cable is picking up the transmission noise from their Radio System.

I also have an FR24 Kit at the same premises, however to get that Antenna nice and high, I fitted 2x weather proof boxes on the roof and ran a 20m clean power line to the roof and a 20m Cat5 Cable so that it is all located at the foot of the antenna mast. This is not suffering from the noise.

I cannot do that with the Windows System as it's experimental and I constantly need access to the Antenna etc. to swap things about for testing..

Leave a comment:

• skyspotter
    replied
    Your receiver might be overloaded with interference. Try to isolate it from other electronic devices. Enclosed it in a can or metal container and add a grounding on it. Add a filter to your gear. Pug your device it to an outlet that has noise reduction circuitry. Lastly, check your PiAware for some installation errors, corrupted files and missing commands.

Leave a comment:

• DemonLee
    replied
    Captain...

As the 'man' that likes to play with Antenna's, I defer to your experience on a problem I am having with two antennas I have made.

The first is a 6 element co-ax collinear and the second a cantenna based on your instructions earlier in this thread.

The collinear is 6x 1/2 wave elements with additional 1/4 wave top and bottom slipped inside a UVPC 15mm tube and sealed.. the only co-ax available to me is either RG59 or RG6 both 75Ohm so the Antenna is made of the RG59 and the supply lead is RG6. (supply lead 9.3m).

The Cantenna is made using your instructions, drawings and measurements.

When connected to the RTL Dongle, both appear to be working fine in that I get loads of data coming in, however when I look at this data I notice that I am getting loads of Parity Errors, and therefore a lot of Garbage. I checked both Antennas and connections for any faults, shorts etc., none found so I can only put this down to excessive noise being picked up in my location.

What would you recommend, a home made Balun, if so how is the best way to make one or do I try ferrite beads to reduce the noise. Or, in your experience, is there another potential cause?

Thanks in Advance

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    For ham-cum-adsb lovers:
    A combo installation of 2 meters J-Pole & 1090 Mhz Franklin:

http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post51405

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Please see these four posts:

This forum, page 145, post #1444 - Cantenna inside a plastic jar/wide mouth bottle. August 2014

This forum, page 150, post #1495 u Cantenna inside a drink bottle. Augut 2014

Planefinder forum - Cantenna in a dvd case. Dec 2014

Flightaware forum - cantenna in dvd case. Oct 2015

Leave a comment:

• K5TED
    replied
    Originally posted by atairlines View Post
    This is my cantenna... It gets aircraft data up to 360 miles. I have no amplifier.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6847[/ATTACH]
    That's good stuff! I had the same idea for a container but was going to put a QFH antenna in there and use the spindle to support it.

Leave a comment:

• atairlines
    replied
    This is my cantenna... It gets aircraft data up to 360 miles. I have no amplifier.
    IMG_6001 - Copia.jpg

Leave a comment:

• skyspotter
    replied
    Originally posted by K5TED View Post
    Presently feeding to FA, FR24 and PP and my own FRS site.

Would be great if you would run PP to give a local MLAT MU/GS or feed raw to my PP site :-)

BTW, the existing FR24 MLAT spots on the trainers buzzing around is fascinating.
    I have a PP account on my windows machine but i dont use it often. Running FA and FR24 on pi. Btw how do i know my MLAT data on F24?

Leave a comment:

• K5TED
    replied
    FRS is following

Leave a comment:

• K5TED
    replied
    No wonder youre picking most of AC coming from west approach. Am near Perrin Beitel and Starcrest Dr. Cool! am using homebrew Qwave antenna with amp powered with Directv power inserter and also with FA filter. Do you feed to FA?
    Presently feeding to FA, FR24 and PP and my own FRS site.

Would be great if you would run PP to give a local MLAT MU/GS or feed raw to my PP site :-)

BTW, the existing FR24 MLAT spots on the trainers buzzing around is fascinating.
    Last edited by K5TED; 2016-01-08, 02:28.

Leave a comment:

• skyspotter
    replied
    Yes, I am. Tried a homebrew groundplane, a three element collinear, and a Franklin design, and keep coming back to the modified Maxrad from eBay. It gets the best overall coverage. Can't beat it for about $11 shipped. Just put on the FlightAware filter and increased the message count. Running it indoors in a North facing window for now til I get the outdoor enclosure built and mounted.

I'm near Blanco and Wurzbach.
    No wonder youre picking most of AC coming from west approach. Am near Perrin Beitel and Starcrest Dr. Cool! am using homebrew Qwave antenna with amp powered with Directv power inserter and also with FA filter. Do you feed to FA?

Leave a comment:

• K5TED
    replied
    Are you using the Ebay Antenna? BTW i just notice got a new neighbor on KSAT QTH.. am feeding as T-KSAT5. Looks like youre near the airport coz youre tracking most of in-outbound planes. 73s.

Yes, I am. Tried a homebrew groundplane, a three element collinear, and a Franklin design, and keep coming back to the modified Maxrad from eBay. It gets the best overall coverage. Can't beat it for about $11 shipped. Just put on the FlightAware filter and increased the message count. Running it indoors in a North facing window for now til I get the outdoor enclosure built and mounted.

I'm near Blanco and Wurzbach.

Leave a comment:

• skyspotter
    replied
    Lots of great antenna ideas here. The wonderful thing about 1090MHz is the antennas are very small. This allows lots of experimenting with little actual materials needed, unlike HF or even VHF antennas. At 1090, the cables and connectors are more elaborate and costly than the actual antenna materials.

With experimention in mind, here's an antenna design that outperforms the supplied whip, and requires no more than a BNC barrel connector and a few cm of 24g solid copper wire, in this case, a strand from a piece of CAT5...

The Delta Loop. This can be positioned and fed in many different configurations with varying pattern results:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6789[/ATTACH]

The orientation and feed methods:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6790[/ATTACH]

Basic design is using 10cm per side at this frequency. Check for "delta loop calculator" on the web for reference. There are many wire antenna possibilities that can be pressed into testing for 1090, including quads, loops, moxons, etc. .

I found this commercial MaxRad RDS antenna on ebay for the princely sum of $8 USD. It is originally designed for 800MHz, but it was a simple matter to trim the radiator and radials down to 1090 :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6791[/ATTACH]

These were still available as of today, so if you decide to try this antenna and want to trim it down, I took one completely apart and got the dimensions so you don't have to:

1. Radiator is pressed in to the hardline center. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TWIST AND REMOVE IT. Trim it in place. It protrudes 81mm from the center conductor (measured with cover off) Remove the black plastic bootie and trim accordingly from the tip. (13mm for a 68mm adjusted length)

2. Ground Radials are 84mm long and threaded into the aluminum base ring, measured observing the three to 4 threads left exposed. Remove the black plastic bootie and trim accordingly from the tip. (16mm for a 68mm adjusted length)

If you insist on taking it apart to see the guts, after the three radials are unscrewed and removed, the assembly slides out of the cover. It is a bit fiddly to get the threads all lined up when putting it back together. Remember this is aluminum, so be gentle.

The antenna works well, in my estimation, set at about 25' in a window for now, can get up to 178 miles South and about 150 North. It'll be interesting to see how it does mounted in an enclosure outside with a clearer view to the East and West.

I'm a newbie to ADS-B, but a longtime amateur radio hobbyist, so this is a refreshing new facet. Currently using a Noelec 820T2 RTL with an Intel Compute Stick, running Win 10Pro, Dump1090, Virtual Radar Server and feeding FR24. site is T-KSAT6
    Are you using the Ebay Antenna? BTW i just notice got a new neighbor on KSAT QTH.. am feeding as T-KSAT5. Looks like youre near the airport coz youre tracking most of in-outbound planes. 73s.

Leave a comment:

• K5TED
    replied
    Lots of great antenna ideas here. The wonderful thing about 1090MHz is the antennas are very small. This allows lots of experimenting with little actual materials needed, unlike HF or even VHF antennas. At 1090, the cables and connectors are more elaborate and costly than the actual antenna materials.

With experimention in mind, here's an antenna design that outperforms the supplied whip, and requires no more than a BNC barrel connector and a few cm of 24g solid copper wire, in this case, a strand from a piece of CAT5...

The Delta Loop. This can be positioned and fed in many different configurations with varying pattern results:

dll.jpg

The orientation and feed methods:

delta-loop.gif

Basic design is using 10cm per side at this frequency. Check for "delta loop calculator" on the web for reference. There are many wire antenna possibilities that can be pressed into testing for 1090, including quads, loops, moxons, etc. .

I found this commercial MaxRad RDS antenna on ebay for the princely sum of $8 USD. It is originally designed for 800MHz, but it was a simple matter to trim the radiator and radials down to 1090 :

gpl.jpg

These were still available as of today, so if you decide to try this antenna and want to trim it down, I took one completely apart and got the dimensions so you don't have to:

1. Radiator is pressed in to the hardline center. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TWIST AND REMOVE IT. Trim it in place. It protrudes 81mm from the center conductor (measured with cover off) Remove the black plastic bootie and trim accordingly from the tip. (13mm for a 68mm adjusted length)

2. Ground Radials are 84mm long and threaded into the aluminum base ring, measured observing the three to 4 threads left exposed. Remove the black plastic bootie and trim accordingly from the tip. (16mm for a 68mm adjusted length)

If you insist on taking it apart to see the guts, after the three radials are unscrewed and removed, the assembly slides out of the cover. It is a bit fiddly to get the threads all lined up when putting it back together. Remember this is aluminum, so be gentle.

The antenna works well, in my estimation, set at about 25' in a window for now, can get up to 178 miles South and about 150 North. It'll be interesting to see how it does mounted in an enclosure outside with a clearer view to the East and West.

I'm a newbie to ADS-B, but a longtime amateur radio hobbyist, so this is a refreshing new facet. Currently using a Noelec 820T2 RTL with an Intel Compute Stick, running Win 10Pro, Dump1090, Virtual Radar Server and feeding FR24. site is T-KSAT6

Leave a comment:

Working...
X