X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by dudesjp View Post
    @abcd567, thank you! Here's the range plot! A little smaller than the maximum possible, but already good! Each circle have 50km! So, my maximum range is a little less than 300km!
    Your heywhatsthat.com range in south is up to Porto Alegre which is about 550 km from your location, and in West is up to Ciudad del Este which is about 520 kms from your location.

Your actual range in south is almost 300 km. This is very good, but less than achievable.

I have looked at you installation photos, and I feel the reason for less range is your antenna height. There are tall trees and other buildings/houses around. Your antenna is installed slightly above edge of your roof. The antenna's view of horizon is obstructed by these tall trees and other houses/buildings around.

You will get much better range if you raise antenna. If possible, raise it above the tree tops and roofs of houses around. If that much is not possible, raise it as much as you can. each meter counts.

Leave a comment:

• dudesjp
    replied
    Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    @dudesjp:
    Your setup looks great!
    Waiting for your VRS range plot.
    I am very hopeful that it will match with your heywhatsthat.com plot.
    @abcd567, thank you! Here's the range plot! A little smaller than the maximum possible, but already good! Each circle have 50km! So, my maximum range is a little less than 300km!

Range.png

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    @dudesjp:
    Your setup looks great!
    Waiting for your VRS range plot.
    I am very hopeful that it will match with your heywhatsthat.com plot.

Leave a comment:

• dudesjp
    replied
    1) Where is your antenna located?

If your antenna is indoors, or it's view of horizon is obstructed by surrounding tall objects (houses, tall buildings, tall trees etc) then taking antenna outdoors, and raising it above the height of surrounding objects will improve the range.

2) Check this site:
    http://www.qsl.net/py4zbz/adsb.htm#e

Hey, thank you for all the support! After all the replies here and all the good advices, I decided that the easy way was put the raspberry pi near to the CanTenna! So, i built this box (images bellow) for him and I put the antenna outside of the roof, in the other side of the wall with now just 64 centimeters of coaxial cable! I'll let the Virtual Radar draw my range and update here, but i'm getting signal from 250km away from my house!

IMG_3521.jpg IMG_3522.jpg
    IMG_3523.jpg IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3529.jpg

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    ..... I just need to know how! Would love to find someone here in Brazil that sells a 1090mhz antenna!
    1) Where is your antenna located?

If your antenna is indoors, or it's view of horizon is obstructed by surrounding tall objects (houses, tall buildings, tall trees etc) then taking antenna outdoors, and raising it above the height of surrounding objects will improve the range.

2) Check this site:
    http://www.qsl.net/py4zbz/adsb.htm#e

Leave a comment:

• dudesjp
    replied
    Check what maximu possible range you can get from your location & antenna height by following steps in this thread:

What is the Maximum Range I can Get? (Post#1)
    range map.png

Yes! It can get much better! I just need to know how! Would love to find someone here in Brazil that sells a 1090mhz antenna!
    Last edited by dudesjp; 2016-02-26, 20:38.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    .......It's good or can get better the cantenna range?
    Check what maximu possible range you can get from your location & antenna height by following steps in this thread:

What is the Maximum Range I can Get? (Post#1)

Leave a comment:

• dudesjp
    replied
    Hi everyone! I did some tests with both antennas (The CanTenna and the original DVB-T Stick one). I put each antenna for recording for 24 hours in the Virtual Radar! This is the range of each one!

Normal Antenna
    Antena simples.png,

CanTenna
    Cantenna.png

Each circle have 50km! It's good or can get better the cantenna range?

Leave a comment:

• dudesjp
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam26K View Post
    They key to minimal loss between antenna and receiver is to put the USB stick as close to the antenna as possible.. USB sticks are cheap, good quality low loss coax is not so cheap. If you use a good quality USB cable you can easily have a run of 15' feet from the USB stick to the pi or computer without a problem with 5VDC source loss.

Otherwise if you have a long run of coax from the antenna to the receiver, an inline amplifier is the solution. A power supply is required. Did anyone come up with a good solution for the inline power amp? TIA!
    Yes, i think i'll put the RPi close to the antenna! Cheap and good way!

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by Sam26K View Post
    Otherwise if you have a long run of coax from the antenna to the receiver, an inline amplifier is the solution. A power supply is required. Did anyone come up with a good solution for the inline power amp? TIA!
    Post #68 on Page 7 of thread "best antenna"

Post #1461 on Page 147 of thread "best antenna"

CONNECTION ARRANGEMENT

Leave a comment:

• Sam26K
    replied
    They key to minimal loss between antenna and receiver is to put the USB stick as close to the antenna as possible.. USB sticks are cheap, good quality low loss coax is not so cheap. If you use a good quality USB cable you can easily have a run of 15' feet from the USB stick to the pi or computer without a problem with 5VDC source loss.

Last edited by Sam26K; 2016-02-20, 23:42.

Leave a comment:

• SpaxmoidJAm
    replied
    check that your aerial is open circuit if your using an amplifier. Some contain a short (just down to the way they are made) and you need to put in dc blocker at the aerial.

Leave a comment:

• dudesjp
    replied
    Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
    Either use good cable OR put the Pi close OR fit an amplifier close to the antenna, once the signal is amplified then you can use almost any coax for the rest of the run as the amplifier will more than compensate for any cable losses, however it is best to go for a purpose built amplifier as the satellite ones are often of dubious quality and can be quite noisy, however you may be lucky, some people have had good results with them (I found that the one I tried was useless!).
    Yes, same here! If you look in the page 4 i put the photo of the one that i bought! But, he dind't work, without the amplifier my range are 115nm maximum, with go to 0! Don't know why! So i'm think in put the Pi in the attic and use a bigger RJ45 cable! Or find a good amplifier! Don't know what to do!

Leave a comment:

• F-EGLF1
    replied
    My project need about 9/10 meters of cable between the antenna and the DVB-T stick! Better i put money in this cable or by another RPi and put in the attic with then 1 meter maximum of coaxial cable?
    Either use good cable OR put the Pi close OR fit an amplifier close to the antenna, once the signal is amplified then you can use almost any coax for the rest of the run as the amplifier will more than compensate for any cable losses, however it is best to go for a purpose built amplifier as the satellite ones are often of dubious quality and can be quite noisy, however you may be lucky, some people have had good results with them (I found that the one I tried was useless!).

Leave a comment:

• dudesjp
    replied
    Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
    It is not the best, but in my view it offers a good performance at an acceptable price, particularly for the OGN receiver where you are dealing with signals very much weaker than ADSB, if you can keep the cable run short (1-2 meters or so) then the cable type becomes much less important, however for long runs cheaper cables can give large losses.
    My project need about 9/10 meters of cable between the antenna and the DVB-T stick! Better i put money in this cable or by another RPi and put in the attic with then 1 meter maximum of coaxial cable?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X