No announcement yet.

Antenna issue after moving to the roof.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just replaced the feeder cable with better cable and the antenna with another one I made. It also worked great on the ground... Now I lose things even further out, but don't have the long range I had before. Maxing out at 40nm at the moment, and losing things once they get about 5nm away. Of what I do have, dump is showing great signal strength, but hardly seems to be getting any messages and is using way to much cpu for 5 contacts.. :/

Comment

oh you have a dongle? heh. You may need to change the Automatic Gain settings now, if your antenna has a heap more signal you could be overloading the front end
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Heres how mine is set...

Clipboard01.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
          Heres how mine is set...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3728[/ATTACH]

I've never messed with the gain settings. Perhaps I should!
          I am having pretty good performance near and far though with the stock antenna.

ss1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGen View Post
            I just replaced the feeder cable with better cable and the antenna with another one I made. It also worked great on the ground... Now I lose things even further out, but don't have the long range I had before. Maxing out at 40nm at the moment, and losing things once they get about 5nm away. Of what I do have, dump is showing great signal strength, but hardly seems to be getting any messages and is using way to much cpu for 5 contacts.. :/
            Do you have a million planes not sending position data? Sometimes I seem overwhelmed by those planes. I've had over 110 planes at one time with only 4 or 5 transmitting location. Tracking performance seems to suffer at those times.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGen View Post
              Where are you ?
              Are you in an area that is preparing for mandatory ADSB use?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by peterhr; 2014-03-29, 08:41.

Comment

I'm in Western Australia, about 5nm from YPPH.
                Fairly sure anything above FL290 here is already required to have ADSB.

Comment

Less then two years, WA will see more aircraft fitted with ADS-B.

2016 – IFR for Western Australia: On and after 4 February 2016, an aircraft that is operated under the IFR in Airspace that is Class A, B, C or E and within the arc of a circle that starts 500 NM true north from Perth aerodrome and finishes 500 NM true east from Perth Airport must carry serviceable ADS-B transmitting equipment that complies with Civil Aviation Order 20.18 and Civil Aviation Order (CAO) 20.18 Amendment Instrument 2012 (No. 1).
                  F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

I've noticed when the planes take-off and bank right or left the station tracking the flight will lose signal for a few seconds. I believe it's to do with signal phasing since the ground station antenna is always vertically polarized and when a plane is banking its antenna is no longer 100% vertical ... this will cause a drop in signal.

Building a circular polarized ADS-B antenna would be a good experiment to see if it helps... if that's the case then phasing might be the cause of other issues too.
                    www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Working...
                    X