Dedicated 1090MHZ receiver.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated 1090MHZ receiver.

I have a substantial pile of old analog satellite equipment, most operates in the 950-2150mhz range, including a few analog spectrum analyzers. I was wondering if there are any ADS-B decoding efforts you guys know of involving an analog receiver and outboard microcontroller or soundcard)? Something tells me the little USB TV dongle isn't close to the most efficient way to handle the volume of data flying through the sky. Thanks.

Some info on this page, if you haven't read it already.

Simple ADSB Receiver based on an analog satellite tuner and an AVR ATmega48

Brian

www.RadarSpotters.eu
    [ Feeder Station List ][ Map ][ Latest Feeders Rank Stats ][ ImRadarFeeder.com Radar Feeders WorldWide Map ][ VRS Feeder List ] (NEW)

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalBrian View Post
      Some info on this page, if you haven't read it already.

Simple ADSB Receiver based on an analog satellite tuner and an AVR ATmega48

http://www.lll.lu/~edward/edward/ads...bReceiver.html

Wow, this is not what I was expecting. Very clever! I believe I can follow along and duplicate the effort! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackL View Post
        I have a substantial pile of old analog satellite equipment, most operates in the 950-2150mhz range, including a few analog spectrum analyzers. I was wondering if there are any ADS-B decoding efforts you guys know of involving an analog receiver and outboard microcontroller or soundcard)? Something tells me the little USB TV dongle isn't close to the most efficient way to handle the volume of data flying through the sky. Thanks.
        Not sure whether this is of use for you, have a look and see whether this helps. It definitely gives you a feel of the history and evolution of the ads-b receiver for 1090mhz.

I recall if correctly the miniadsb cannot run standalone like the raspberry pi + dongle. A mode s beast can and you can also you a beaglebone black/odroid U2/U3 which provide more power if you are located at a busy airspace. You will need to use John Carrol's decodeadsb and you can contact him for that. Please see: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post40171

Comment

Mode-s Beast/mouse NOT standalone Needs SW to deal to the data it receives and decodes. Radarcape however, is
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
            Not sure whether this is of use for you, have a look and see whether this helps. It definitely gives you a feel of the history and evolution of the ads-b receiver for 1090mhz.

I recall if correctly the miniadsb cannot run standalone like the raspberry pi + dongle. A mode s beast can and you can also you a beaglebone black/odroid U2/U3 which provide more power if you are located at a busy airspace. You will need to use John Carrol's decodeadsb and you can contact him for that. Please see: http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...ll=1#post40171
            Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
            Mode-s Beast/mouse NOT standalone Needs SW to deal to the data it receives and decodes. Radarcape however, is
            Apologies I wasn't clear. Yes the mode s beast/transponder mouse is not standalone, it will need a PC/linux computer to decode the data. What I meant is the beast can run with a raspberry pi/beaglebone black/odroid u2 u3 (linux computers) using John Carrol's decodeadsb software.

Comment

Ok, after coming up to speed on the history of hobbyist ADB-S thanks to the links provided by SoCalBrian I'm on the verge of ordering an miniADSB kit and am already considering the need for a mode-S beast... No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel, especially when the guys who have laid the groundwork are many orders more intelligent than I am!

I do have some thoughts on alternative PC decoding schemes using easily constructable (and NON SMT!) hardware such as the good old data slicer (4-level FSK convertor) used in years long past to decode FLEX and other digital modes when combined with a miniADBS or other good receiver that can reach 1090mhz and some bit banging. We shall see. Thanks for the other input guys. I love this site and this hobby. It sure tore me up this morning to see 8 planes lined up on the runway for takeoff at FLL and no one feeding the live data into FR24! This I will fix very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by North Borneo Radar View Post
                Thank you for this link. It may be the only one I haven't looked at over a 20+ hour reading marathon on ADB-S!

Comment

Originally posted by JackL View Post
                  Ok, after coming up to speed on the history of hobbyist ADB-S thanks to the links provided by SoCalBrian I'm on the verge of ordering an miniADSB kit and am already considering the need for a mode-S beast... No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel, especially when the guys who have laid the groundwork are many orders more intelligent than I am!

I do have some thoughts on alternative PC decoding schemes using easily constructable (and NON SMT!) hardware such as the good old data slicer (4-level FSK convertor) used in years long past to decode FLEX and other digital modes when combined with a miniADBS or other good receiver that can reach 1090mhz and some bit banging. We shall see. Thanks for the other input guys. I love this site and this hobby. It sure tore me up this morning to see 8 planes lined up on the runway for takeoff at FLL and no one feeding the live data into FR24! This I will fix very soon.

Thank you for this link. It may be the only one I haven't looked at over a 20+ hour reading marathon on ADB-S!
                  You are welcome. Take your time to consider things as there is quite a bit of choices to choose from and I believe you have came across reading about them. Oh FYI the beast now is sold as assembled (the transponder mouse) from JMZ. They don't sell the one where you need to solder things anymore except the 2CH mode s beast.

Hopefully the a/c at your place are equipped with ads-b and then you can start seeing them on FR24/your own software/virtual radar server. All the best.
                  Last edited by North Borneo Radar; 2014-03-21, 03:41.

Comment

Working...
                  X